CHP Officer arrests firefighter

23 replies to this topic

#1 Chimi

Chimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts

I guess it could have been worse.  The CHP Officer could have just shot him for not listening.

http://www.utsandieg...cuffed-freeway/

#2 Splint7438

Splint7438

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationCorona CA
Unfortunate. It is the Law enforcements job to secure the accident sight. I know there are rivalrys between FD and PD traditionally. Perhaps there was a history. If he wasn't arrested and there was no prevention of medical care, I say no harm no foul. They can work it out at the annual FD vs PD football game for charity.
Cancer has taken so much from so many. May we all live to see it eradicated. I miss you mom. I miss you Paul.

#3 JAHV76

JAHV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2140 posts
Randolph Mantooth > Erik Estrada
  • Tank likes this

#4 Splint7438

Splint7438

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationCorona CA
Johnny Gage is way better than ponch.
  • Tank likes this
Cancer has taken so much from so many. May we all live to see it eradicated. I miss you mom. I miss you Paul.

#5 HaloMagic

HaloMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2048 posts
He was handcuffed, not arrested.

#6 calscuf

calscuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1338 posts
Imagine how tiny that cop's dick is.

#7 Chimi

Chimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts

He was handcuffed, not arrested.

When you're detained by a Police Officer and you're not free to go, you're under arrest.  Whether that be getting pulled over for speeding or being cuffed and placed in the back of a Police car for 30 min like the firefighter was.  You think the Officer put him in the back of the car because he needed a timeout?

#8 arch stanton

arch stanton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2684 posts
  • LocationThe Sandbox
It's not like cops and firefighters work together enough to establish any rapport or basic procedures. This is inevitable.

#9 Taylor

Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • LocationIndio, CA

Firefighters are immune to the law.

#10 HaloMagic

HaloMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2048 posts

When you're detained by a Police Officer and you're not free to go, you're under arrest. Whether that be getting pulled over for speeding or being cuffed and placed in the back of a Police car for 30 min like the firefighter was. You think the Officer put him in the back of the car because he needed a timeout?

A handcuffing is a detention. A detention is not an arrest. In some dictionary definitions, yes. But not according to the legal definition of the terms. They are not the same. A police officer may place an individual in handcuffs following a robbery for his safety while he ascertains what transpired and whether or not the person he detained is the suspect or not. During this time the individual is not under arrest. He is just temporarily restricted from leaving the scene.

#11 Angels N Skins

Angels N Skins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6556 posts
  • LocationApple Valley, Ca

HM is right about it being a detention. AAA with a badge

Edited by Angels N Skins, 05 February 2014 - 11:28 PM.

#12 TobiasFunke

TobiasFunke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6038 posts
  • LocationStraight Outta Locash

When you're detained by a Police Officer and you're not free to go, you're under arrest.

You couldn't be more wrong

#13 HaloMagic

HaloMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2048 posts
He goes on to say:

Whether that be getting pulled over for speeding...

WTF? We've all been arrested, I guess.

#14 Eric Notti

Eric Notti

Eric N

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7690 posts
I think the real determination if you were arrested is if you got a bologna sandwich or a reheated burrito.

BTW although the CHP has jurisdiction on the highway they were late to the scene and the officer was interrupting rescue services in progress. Much as I hate being stuck in these traffic jams and wish they would open a lane I think the officer over stepped his authority by forcing a non issue. The truck being moved could wait.

#15 LBHalos17

LBHalos17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1611 posts
  • LocationEither side of the batters-box..

The lovely 9th Circuit Justices go back-and-forth over their own rulings seemingly every year on what constitutes "arrest."  But at its most basic, you are arrested at detention (depending on circumstances).  Refusal to sign a traffic ticket will sometimes get you booked for resisting/interfering.  Generally, arrest is defined by the mindset of the detainee.  But, we detain people in handcuffs during investigations as well.

Anyway, that was a dick-move by the CHP guy.  I'd bet there's some underlying issues out there between the two Departments.  I was a Lifeguard/EMT before I was a copper and my best friend is a Medic for Cal-Fire, so I just try to follow the Golden Rule.

We settle our scores on the ice much like FDNY/PD, tho we haven't been challenged by Fire in a couple years.

One important thing we've all learned about Fire is that they hate it when cops get "first-water."  8}

#16 Tank

Tank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6592 posts
  • LocationGlendale

i would think a police officer has to notify you that you're being arrested. you would then have to be processed. i think you can be detained until they determine they either actually arrest you or let you go.

i would think if you're in handcuffs, then they've probably arrested you and said "you're under arrest."

Colon actually marks for an exclamation point.

#17 TobiasFunke

TobiasFunke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6038 posts
  • LocationStraight Outta Locash

i would think a police officer has to notify you that you're being arrested. you would then have to be processed. i think you can be detained until they determine they either actually arrest you or let you go.

This, I believe cops handcuff people all the time saying, "you're not under arrest, you're just being detained."

LBHalos, sound about right?

#18 Adam

Adam

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3273 posts
  • LocationSouth County

Payback from when the firefighter beat him in a sandrail race in Glamis for a case of coors light

• Cory, yk9001 and LBHalos17 like this

#19 Adam

Adam

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3273 posts
  • LocationSouth County

or pension envy

• LBHalos17 likes this

#20 Adam

Adam

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3273 posts
  • LocationSouth County

I thought the Chippies were the coolest of the bunch. I've been pulled over by the CHP a few times. Off with a warning and a "have a great day" each time. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Voice Your Praise & Frustrations Here! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

AngelsWin.com introduces, Shoutbox A real-time feed for you to voice your in-game praises, frustrations or postgame rants.
@  Hollyw00d : (25 September 2014 - 07:39 PM) Someone's earning a gift basket tonight
@  fatkook : (25 September 2014 - 02:28 PM) where are the results from the NFL picks ?
@  Chuck Richter : (18 September 2014 - 11:07 AM) THE ANGELS ARE YOUR 2014 AL WEST CHAMPIONS!!
@  GuliblGuy : (18 September 2014 - 10:25 AM) We did it and stuff
@  Ray McKigney : (12 September 2014 - 12:03 AM) POST SEASON BOUND!!!!!!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (05 September 2014 - 08:11 PM) MacDonald smokes a Ball with everything he has. And still can't get a hit..
@  SlappyUtilit... : (02 September 2014 - 06:19 PM) How does Hammy not RIP his shoulders out of socket with that swing?
@  SlappyUtilit... : (02 September 2014 - 06:18 PM) Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
@  SlappyUtilit... : (02 September 2014 - 06:18 PM) KLANK MAN GOT YOU!!! FOWLER~
@  SlappyUtilit... : (02 September 2014 - 06:05 PM) I HEART JOEY!!!!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (02 September 2014 - 06:05 PM) CY PEACOCK!
@  Angel Oracle : (02 September 2014 - 04:04 PM) Joey is back!
@  Angel Oracle : (02 September 2014 - 12:36 PM) Get the hitting shoes on today guys, Brad Peacock is very hittible.
@  Chris : (30 August 2014 - 05:52 PM) How about that Rasmus guy?  Dipoto should have gotten someone better for Downs.
@  SlappyUtilit... : (30 August 2014 - 11:33 AM) I miss Joey!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (29 August 2014 - 08:08 PM) Suck it Sogard~
@  SlappyUtilit... : (29 August 2014 - 08:04 PM) Maybe, Josh is really a right handed hitter?
@  Angel Oracle : (27 August 2014 - 12:32 PM) Bring a series win home tonight Hector!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (25 August 2014 - 08:48 PM) Great Outing Matt LeBlanc~
@  Chuck Richter : (25 August 2014 - 08:59 AM) How about them 1st place Angels?!?!?
@  Chuck Richter : (25 August 2014 - 08:58 AM) Sorry guys, I screwed up all the other sub forums by a change I made on the back end. I fixed it shortly thereafter though on the 22nd. All good!
@  Stevestevens : (22 August 2014 - 02:20 PM) I love the new additions to the hangout forum.  Besides all the new features, I love that Ray is blocked from having access
@  Ray McKigney : (22 August 2014 - 02:17 PM) Why do I need a password for the Hangout Forum?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!??!
@  Brandon : (22 August 2014 - 02:14 PM) i actually just wrote a thread about it in the hangout and after i posted it got the same protected screen
@  Brandon : (22 August 2014 - 02:14 PM) same
@  1nutkruk : (22 August 2014 - 01:51 PM) Same issue here.
@  Sam Sanchez : (22 August 2014 - 01:34 PM) same issue as soto here
@  SOTO : (22 August 2014 - 01:29 PM) Why is everything coming up "protected forum" fort me?  Yes I've logged out and logged back in.
@  SlappyUtilit... : (21 August 2014 - 06:52 PM) Beckham & Boesch for Hamels?
@  SlappyUtilit... : (21 August 2014 - 06:47 PM) Gordon F'n Beckham??? Do the Rangers want him in exchange for Yu?
@  Chuck Richter : (20 August 2014 - 11:14 AM) 24 Games above .500 in late August. Awesome!
@  2002_halos_II : (19 August 2014 - 03:49 PM) Great catch Kole,
@  SlappyUtilit... : (18 August 2014 - 06:35 PM) LTMOFO UP@!!!!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (17 August 2014 - 01:56 PM) Goes back to not scoring with the bases loaded and 0 outs
@  SlappyUtilit... : (17 August 2014 - 01:55 PM) Why is Aybar covering the bag with a Right handed batter? That is the wrong play
@  SlappyUtilit... : (15 August 2014 - 07:18 PM) 0 for Hamilton
@  SlappyUtilit... : (15 August 2014 - 07:04 PM) Soto has been fighting the Yippes! Way to go Sasser..Has to wipe has hand on the dirt for every throw back to the pitcher...
@  SlappyUtilit... : (15 August 2014 - 07:01 PM) HOWIE Get the F* out of the WAY!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (12 August 2014 - 07:24 PM) Jerome Williams To Start Tuesday

Started by nando714, Aug 10 2014 06:11 PM
@  SlappyUtilit... : (12 August 2014 - 07:24 PM) CY Williams At Least 7 innings of 5 hit ball...Book it~
@  ItzTacosYerrp : (10 August 2014 - 08:17 PM) A day off will do us some good!!!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (10 August 2014 - 03:27 PM) Vinnie!!!!!!!! Great Outing!
@  Ray McKigney : (09 August 2014 - 11:59 PM) Only took 19 innings!!!!
@  Angel Oracle : (07 August 2014 - 02:00 PM) No stupid baserunning tonight guys!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (06 August 2014 - 08:03 PM) Thanks Hank! No, really Thanks.
@  Angel Oracle : (05 August 2014 - 11:26 AM) If the Halos win tonight, with Santiago facing Kershaw, there's gonna be a lout of laughing from the Halos fans' camp.
@  Angel Oracle : (05 August 2014 - 11:02 AM) Look on the bright side Raviner fans, 70% of you didn't get to watch that game on the SportsNet channel.
@  Angel Oracle : (04 August 2014 - 09:44 AM) Bring on the Raviners!
@  Chuck Richter : (03 August 2014 - 08:15 PM) Gameday Chat is now working again. It expired and I wasn't notified. Sorry about that guys.
@  SlappyUtilit... : (02 August 2014 - 05:42 PM) PLAY CATCH PLEASE! Thanks CJ~