CHP Officer arrests firefighter

23 replies to this topic

#1 Chimi

Chimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

I guess it could have been worse.  The CHP Officer could have just shot him for not listening.

http://www.utsandieg...cuffed-freeway/

#2 Splint7438

Splint7438

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationCorona CA
Unfortunate. It is the Law enforcements job to secure the accident sight. I know there are rivalrys between FD and PD traditionally. Perhaps there was a history. If he wasn't arrested and there was no prevention of medical care, I say no harm no foul. They can work it out at the annual FD vs PD football game for charity.
Cancer has taken so much from so many. May we all live to see it eradicated. I miss you mom. I miss you Paul.

#3 JAHV76

JAHV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1451 posts
Randolph Mantooth > Erik Estrada
  • Tank likes this

#4 Splint7438

Splint7438

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationCorona CA
Johnny Gage is way better than ponch.
  • Tank likes this
Cancer has taken so much from so many. May we all live to see it eradicated. I miss you mom. I miss you Paul.

#5 HaloMagic

HaloMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts
He was handcuffed, not arrested.

#6 calscuf

calscuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
Imagine how tiny that cop's dick is.

#7 Chimi

Chimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

He was handcuffed, not arrested.

When you're detained by a Police Officer and you're not free to go, you're under arrest.  Whether that be getting pulled over for speeding or being cuffed and placed in the back of a Police car for 30 min like the firefighter was.  You think the Officer put him in the back of the car because he needed a timeout?

#8 arch stanton

arch stanton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1782 posts
  • LocationThe Sandbox
It's not like cops and firefighters work together enough to establish any rapport or basic procedures. This is inevitable.

#9 Taylor

Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1840 posts
  • LocationIndio, CA

Firefighters are immune to the law.

#10 HaloMagic

HaloMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

When you're detained by a Police Officer and you're not free to go, you're under arrest. Whether that be getting pulled over for speeding or being cuffed and placed in the back of a Police car for 30 min like the firefighter was. You think the Officer put him in the back of the car because he needed a timeout?

A handcuffing is a detention. A detention is not an arrest. In some dictionary definitions, yes. But not according to the legal definition of the terms. They are not the same. A police officer may place an individual in handcuffs following a robbery for his safety while he ascertains what transpired and whether or not the person he detained is the suspect or not. During this time the individual is not under arrest. He is just temporarily restricted from leaving the scene.

#11 Angels N Skins

Angels N Skins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3793 posts
  • LocationApple Valley, Ca

HM is right about it being a detention. AAA with a badge

Edited by Angels N Skins, 05 February 2014 - 11:28 PM.

#12 TobiasFunke

TobiasFunke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3329 posts
  • LocationStraight Outta Locash

When you're detained by a Police Officer and you're not free to go, you're under arrest.

You couldn't be more wrong

#13 HaloMagic

HaloMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts
He goes on to say:

Whether that be getting pulled over for speeding...

WTF? We've all been arrested, I guess.

#14 Eric Notti

Eric Notti

Eric N

• Moderators
  • 4251 posts
I think the real determination if you were arrested is if you got a bologna sandwich or a reheated burrito.

BTW although the CHP has jurisdiction on the highway they were late to the scene and the officer was interrupting rescue services in progress. Much as I hate being stuck in these traffic jams and wish they would open a lane I think the officer over stepped his authority by forcing a non issue. The truck being moved could wait.

#15 LBHalos17

LBHalos17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1181 posts
  • LocationIn the crease at Anaheim Ice

The lovely 9th Circuit Justices go back-and-forth over their own rulings seemingly every year on what constitutes "arrest."  But at its most basic, you are arrested at detention (depending on circumstances).  Refusal to sign a traffic ticket will sometimes get you booked for resisting/interfering.  Generally, arrest is defined by the mindset of the detainee.  But, we detain people in handcuffs during investigations as well.

Anyway, that was a dick-move by the CHP guy.  I'd bet there's some underlying issues out there between the two Departments.  I was a Lifeguard/EMT before I was a copper and my best friend is a Medic for Cal-Fire, so I just try to follow the Golden Rule.

We settle our scores on the ice much like FDNY/PD, tho we haven't been challenged by Fire in a couple years.

One important thing we've all learned about Fire is that they hate it when cops get "first-water."  8}

#16 Tank

Tank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4694 posts
  • LocationGlendale

i would think a police officer has to notify you that you're being arrested. you would then have to be processed. i think you can be detained until they determine they either actually arrest you or let you go.

i would think if you're in handcuffs, then they've probably arrested you and said "you're under arrest."

#17 TobiasFunke

TobiasFunke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3329 posts
  • LocationStraight Outta Locash

i would think a police officer has to notify you that you're being arrested. you would then have to be processed. i think you can be detained until they determine they either actually arrest you or let you go.

This, I believe cops handcuff people all the time saying, "you're not under arrest, you're just being detained."

LBHalos, sound about right?

#18 Adam

Adam

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2120 posts
  • LocationSouth County

Payback from when the firefighter beat him in a sandrail race in Glamis for a case of coors light

• Cory, yk9001 and LBHalos17 like this

#19 Adam

Adam

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2120 posts
  • LocationSouth County

or pension envy

• LBHalos17 likes this

#20 Adam

Adam

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2120 posts
  • LocationSouth County

I thought the Chippies were the coolest of the bunch. I've been pulled over by the CHP a few times. Off with a warning and a "have a great day" each time. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Voice Your Praise & Frustrations Here! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

AngelsWin.com introduces, Shoutbox A real-time feed for you to voice your in-game praises, frustrations or postgame rants.
@  The God of Runs : (15 April 2014 - 08:39 PM) We got 'em right where we want 'em
@  Kody Mac : (15 April 2014 - 06:44 PM) remember when we tried Shields at closer?
@  Kody Mac : (15 April 2014 - 06:44 PM) set up men, good closers do not make.
@  SlappyUtilit... : (15 April 2014 - 03:39 PM) Free Hank Conger!!!!
@  The God of Runs : (14 April 2014 - 09:06 PM) I hate baseball
@  The God of Runs : (14 April 2014 - 08:51 PM) Make Joe Smith the new closer
@  vlad27 : (14 April 2014 - 08:36 AM) cool new feature - Go Angels !
@  cezero : (13 April 2014 - 04:49 PM) Happy for the Halos, but the M's ARE MAKING ME DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!!
@  The God of Runs : (13 April 2014 - 02:57 PM) Red Jersey = Money in the Bank
@  Homebrewer : (12 April 2014 - 08:38 PM) JOE SMITH IS A STUD
@  The God of Runs : (12 April 2014 - 07:49 PM) Okay guys. All we need is 8 consecutive HBPs and we win the game.
@  ettin : (12 April 2014 - 07:41 PM) I wish players well in their personal lives but Kevin Jepsen needs to be released.
@  The God of Runs : (12 April 2014 - 07:02 PM) Dipoto should trade Salas for Vernon Wells right NOW.
@  nate : (12 April 2014 - 05:21 PM) Nice start to the game for Cowgill
@  SlappyUtilit... : (12 April 2014 - 11:20 AM) I can't wait to watch Iannetta and his .092 batting average tonight! Yo Sven!!!! Let HANK PLAY!
@  CeramicDragon : (11 April 2014 - 10:27 PM) Conger! I am glad you are involved in todays win.
@  Homebrewer : (11 April 2014 - 10:13 PM) Keep wearing the red jerseys.
@  fatkook : (11 April 2014 - 06:37 PM) I'm DRINKING!!!!!!!!
@  Homebrewer : (11 April 2014 - 06:11 PM) WEARING THE RED!! Mark this one in the win column.
@  Hollyw00d : (11 April 2014 - 02:21 PM) Says mariners fans all over the world
@  cezero : (10 April 2014 - 04:20 PM) I'm DRINKING!!!!!!!!
@  Chuck Richter : (10 April 2014 - 09:52 AM) Yes. Use the Shoutbox to vent ladies and gents! It's therapeutic!
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 09:39 PM) Garrett Richards / 2-0 / 0.75 ERA
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 09:37 PM) THANK GOD FOR GARRETT RICHARDS!!!  What a game!!!
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 02:52 PM) OK...I feel a little better now.  I'm glad we have the Shoutbox.
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 02:51 PM) F THESE LOSERS!!!
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 02:51 PM) TODAY'S LINE-UP IS PATHETIC!!!
@  Jim B : (09 April 2014 - 02:51 PM) JOSH HAMILTON IS AN IDIOT!!!
@  Chuck Richter : (08 April 2014 - 11:47 AM) AngelsWin.com and all Angels fans abroad remember Nick Adenhart today. I cannot believe it has been 5 years.
@  Hollyw00d : (07 April 2014 - 10:03 AM) we need ibanez in LF like I need a pencil jabbed in my eye
@  Eric : (06 April 2014 - 10:28 AM) The Angels need to rethink the promo spot they're using that has Victor shouting "The Angels Are Up To Nothing!"
@  nate : (05 April 2014 - 10:32 PM) Skaggs was nails today.  Amazing performance.
@  Chuck Richter : (05 April 2014 - 08:37 PM) Skaggs!!
@  Homebrewer : (05 April 2014 - 04:49 PM) SKAGGS IS DEALIN!!!
@  mancini79 : (05 April 2014 - 04:43 PM) not for me
@  Homebrewer : (05 April 2014 - 04:32 PM) Board running slow again?
@  The God of Runs : (04 April 2014 - 09:52 AM) I'd like a Bacon Cheeseburger, Curly Fries, and a Chocolate Shake.  And, can you upsize it to more Halo victories?
@  Chuck Richter : (03 April 2014 - 01:57 PM) On the bright side, there's a TON of baseball left to play.
@  Mark68 : (02 April 2014 - 09:08 PM) Less than one
@  fan_since79 : (02 April 2014 - 09:07 PM) How many more years of Scioscia??
@  Eric : (02 April 2014 - 08:53 PM) The Mariner's sweep was not even close, it was a pure ass-whooping. No sugar coating that at all.
@  mota_madness : (02 April 2014 - 08:33 PM) Eff this teM...
@  The God of Runs : (02 April 2014 - 07:48 PM) This team isn't even bothering to build us up. Not good
@  Taylor : (02 April 2014 - 07:44 PM) This team blows.
@  Homebrewer : (02 April 2014 - 07:36 PM) BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
@  The God of Runs : (02 April 2014 - 07:21 PM) Eff Brad Miller!  Geez Loueez!
@  fan_since79 : (02 April 2014 - 06:11 PM) I was deluged with pop-up ads today for some video game while looking at the main forum. Perhaps there's a problem there.
@  Homebrewer : (02 April 2014 - 05:56 PM) I'm sure there are a team of techs working on this
@  Homebrewer : (02 April 2014 - 05:44 PM) Still pretty s l o w...
@  Jim : (02 April 2014 - 03:05 PM) Not just you, though it is all better now.