Here are some highlights (pictures coming) of the weekend's festivities.
- We had 50+ show up at our unofficial informal Friday night dinner at Alice Cooperstown. What a great time, including a live band that played some great tunes as a bonus for us.
- Saturday night we had 230 in attendance. The most we've had at an event to date. The most impressive part, we had so many new people show up. Tons from Twitter. Most of our regulars who generally show up were MIA this spring, but it allowed for new friendships to be formed. That to me was huge! What this is all about.
- Our guest speakers and those in attendance were: Hector Santiago, Kole Calhoun, Jerry Dipoto, Sarah Colonna and from the round table segment Mike DiGiovanna, Jeff Fletcher, Jose Mota and Terry Smith. Prospects: Taylor Lindsey, Michael Morin and Mark Sappington. Author Rob Goldman was in attendance.
- Steel Morris from the OC Miracle League and Dave Smith & Jeff McKee from the Angels RBI each came up to speak about their charities for 5-10 minutes each. They had tables and brochures for those to learn more throughout the night. We raffled off some incredible items from Lululemon, Nike Golf and others and raised several thousand dollars for both --- including $500 to each charity from Lululemon. The amount of what was earned in total will be announced soon and a check cut to each charity.
- On stage interview sessions were incredible. Kole Calhoun & Hector Santiago were fantastic! You MUST watch the videos! Sarah Colonna and I kicked things off and her humor was a nice ice breaker to kick the night's festivities off. What can I say about the media round table session. Always my favorite segment. Another must watch! But the best one of the night was from the Angels GM Jerry Dipoto. Our main event! What an incredible speaker and one that bestowed a TON of knowledge on the state of the team, the prospects and items you have not yet read in the papers. Another must watch!
- The dinner was great. Well at least my BLACKEND Fish Tacos were. I heard good things about the food though. The service was great. The overall venue was amazing. Two bars, inside and outside the foyer.
- The early Sunday morning Dugout Talk with Tim Mead was and always will be my favorite time to conclude the weekend. It isn't the fame and glamor that Saturday night's event is with all of our special guests over the years, but it is an intimate time with Tim Mead as he stands on top of the dugout and provides us all a state of the Angels speech, followed by a Q&A session as we look upon Tempe Diablo field as the players filter in and take fielding practice and BP. If you missed it, you have to listen and watch the video Dave Saltzer took of Tim's talk.
All in all, it was yet another fun and successful event. I'm sad that it is over. I was so blessed that Bruce flew out to be with us and he with his brothers a day after he attended his wife's memorial service. May she rest in peace. I was equally blessed by the support the people who attended gave to both of our adopted charities.
For those of you who were in town and didn't show or couldn't make it out due to financial or other reasons, you missed out on an incredible time and an opportunity to give to two incredible charities. Our $40 ticket to our event was the best in town and biggest bang for your buck.
While the fans in attendance had a blast and were complimentary throughout the night, the Angels organization was super impressed yet again and they're looking forward to getting on board in a bigger capacity. That is exciting!
Watch the main forum & this thread for more pics, video interviews throughout the week.