#AWFanfest14 Highlights, Pics, Video & Comments

38 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Richter

Chuck Richter

AngelsWin.com Founder, Executive Editor

• Administrators
  • 6524 posts
  • LocationThe Greater Northwest

Here are some highlights (pictures coming) of the weekend's festivities.

• We had 50+ show up at our unofficial informal Friday night dinner at Alice Cooperstown. What a great time, including a live band that played some great tunes as a bonus for us.

• Saturday night we had 230 in attendance. The most we've had at an event to date. The most impressive part, we had so many new people show up. Tons from Twitter. Most of our regulars who generally show up were MIA this spring, but it allowed for new friendships to be formed. That to me was huge! What this is all about.

• Our guest speakers and those in attendance were: Hector Santiago, Kole Calhoun, Jerry Dipoto, Sarah Colonna and from the round table segment Mike DiGiovanna, Jeff Fletcher, Jose Mota and Terry Smith. Prospects: Taylor Lindsey, Michael Morin and Mark Sappington. Author Rob Goldman was in attendance.

• Steel Morris from the OC Miracle League and Dave Smith & Jeff McKee from the Angels RBI each came up to speak about their charities for 5-10 minutes each. They had tables and brochures for those to learn more throughout the night. We raffled off some incredible items from Lululemon, Nike Golf and others and raised several thousand dollars for both --- including $500 to each charity from Lululemon. The amount of what was earned in total will be announced soon and a check cut to each charity.

• On stage interview sessions were incredible. Kole Calhoun & Hector Santiago were fantastic! You MUST watch the videos! Sarah Colonna and I kicked things off and her humor was a nice ice breaker to kick the night's festivities off. What can I say about the media round table session. Always my favorite segment. Another must watch! But the best one of the night was from the Angels GM Jerry Dipoto. Our main event! What an incredible speaker and one that bestowed a TON of knowledge on the state of the team, the prospects and items you have not yet read in the papers. Another must watch!

• The dinner was great. Well at least my BLACKEND Fish Tacos were. I heard good things about the food though. The service was great. The overall venue was amazing. Two bars, inside and outside the foyer.

• The early Sunday morning Dugout Talk with Tim Mead was and always will be my favorite time to conclude the weekend. It isn't the fame and glamor that Saturday night's event is with all of our special guests over the years, but it is an intimate time with Tim Mead as he stands on top of the dugout and provides us all a state of the Angels speech, followed by a Q&A session as we look upon Tempe Diablo field as the players filter in and take fielding practice and BP. If you missed it, you have to listen and watch the video Dave Saltzer took of Tim's talk.

All in all, it was yet another fun and successful event. I'm sad that it is over. I was so blessed that Bruce flew out to be with us and he with his brothers a day after he attended his wife's memorial service. May she rest in peace. I was equally blessed by the support the people who attended gave to both of our adopted charities.

For those of you who were in town and didn't show or couldn't make it out due to financial or other reasons, you missed out on an incredible time and an opportunity to give to two incredible charities. Our $40 ticket to our event was the best in town and biggest bang for your buck.

While the fans in attendance had a blast and were complimentary throughout the night, the Angels organization was super impressed yet again and they're looking forward to getting on board in a bigger capacity. That is exciting!

Watch the main forum & this thread for more pics, video interviews throughout the week.

• Geoff likes this

#2 HaloFromVegas

HaloFromVegas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

The HaloFromVegas clan really enjoyed the events.  Just got home after today's game and a five hour drive.  

Jerry Dipoto's speech last night was typical for him: candid, highly articulate.  The tone he set -- pulling back the curtain, giving as straight an answer as he could -- was matched by Tim Mead and his candor this morning.

Reading between the lines, I took a few conclusions from Dipoto's and Mead's presentations: Buttercup's days are numbered at the Big A -- as are Joe Blanton's.  Both welcome developments!

Thank you to the entire Angelswin Board of Directors for a job well done.

• Chuck Richter, Geoff and RenoHalo like this

#3 Chuck Richter

Chuck Richter

• Administrators
  • 6524 posts

The HaloFromVegas clan really enjoyed the events. Just got home after today's game and a five hour drive.

Jerry Dipoto's speech last night was typical for him: candid, highly articulate. The tone he set -- pulling back the curtain, giving as straight an answer as he could -- was matched by Tim Mead and his candor this morning.

Reading between the lines, I took a few conclusions from Dipoto's and Mead's presentations: Buttercup's days are numbered at the Big A -- as are Joe Blanton's. Both welcome developments!

Thank you to the entire Angelswin Board of Directors for a job well done.

Good to see you and your family again David. So glad you had a great time. I loved your question to Dipoto.
  • HaloFromVegas likes this

#4 Chuck Richter

Chuck Richter

• Administrators
  • 6524 posts
To all of you who posted comments in other threads, can you please copy and paste your posts into this one.

I'd like to get them all consolidated into this one, along with all the pics/videos I will post over the next few days.

#5 Angels_Baseball

Angels_Baseball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts
  • LocationAnaheim Hills, CA
I had a blast this weekend. It was my first time attending and I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

I was able to sit with the Cooley family at dinner which made it super fun and enjoyable. Dinner was good and the venue was perfect.

Being able to meet some new AW members and people I frequently talk to on social media was enjoyable.

All the players and Dipoto were super approachable and nice. I was able to talk to Calhoun several times and I appreciate him even more. Mark Sappington was one of the most outgoing players I've ever met. It's going to be easy to root for him now.

The Q & A Sunday was phenomenal. Mead is an incredibly good speaker and really knows what he's talking about. I hung on every word he was saying. You can tell that he really cares about the people around him.

Lastly, the BP session was awesome. Everyone from AW was in awe when the first group of batters hit. Trout was hitting line drives all over the yard and out of the yard. Hamilton was hitting balls over the scoreboard with ease. That was a fantastic moment.

I just have to thank everyone at AW who made this weekend happen. I'm already planning on going next year and to the fanfest this summer.
  • Chuck Richter, Geoff and BaseballMom like this

Follow me on Twitter at @bmags94

Follow my blogs at maniacball.net

#6 wopphil

wopphil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1275 posts

I'd love to hear notable things Dipoto and Mead had to say, if any of you are so inclined to share.

#7 Dave Saltzer

Dave Saltzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Wopphil we will be posting video of all the interviews and things throughout this week for the fans who couldn't attend. But, starting planning on being there next year. 

• SoWhat likes this

#8 wopphil

wopphil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1275 posts

Wopphil we will be posting video of all the interviews and things throughout this week for the fans who couldn't attend. But, starting planning on being there next year. 

Thanks Dave. 

I have never made it out to spring training, but hope to do so within the next few years (as my son gets old enough to enjoy the experience).  I am truly amazed at what you guys have been able to create with this event.  It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the fanfest that Angelswin.com puts on is one of the most "intimate" types of fanfest events in all of baseball.  You guys should be very proud of what you are doing.  

• Chuck Richter, AzHaloFan and Tank like this

#9 Diaz15

Diaz15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationTustin, California
My wife and I had a great time at the dinner. It was awesome to meet you Chuck! Also very cool to meet some of the players, get some stuff signed, and take some photos. We were both very impressed with how candid Jerry was and he really pumped me up for the season.

The Tim Mead talk on Sunday was equally awesome! I loved how he answered the fans honestly and even poked fun at Buttercup. BP was fantastic. It was great to see the guys out there having fun and goofing around with each other.

We are driving home right now, and I'm already looking forward to next year.
  • Chuck Richter likes this

#10 Diaz15

Diaz15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationTustin, California
Also, I'm new to this forum and your community, do Angelswin do any events during the season?

#11 gotbeer

gotbeer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8176 posts

Also, I'm new to this forum and your community, do Angelswin do any events during the season?

Summer Fanfest.  Not as good as Spring Training.  But it involves softball, tailgating, and Chuck getting drunk.  

• Geoff likes this

" I don’t just take one play, pitch, at-bat, and highlight and create something out of it…that’s lazy and it’s not how I’m wound." - Victor Rojas

#12 Thomas

Thomas

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1020 posts
  • LocationEdgewood, New Mexico

Summer Fanfest.  Not as good as Spring Training.  But it involves softball, tailgating, and Chuck getting drunk.  

So like every weekend ever.

• Geoff likes this

#13 Splint7438

Splint7438

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationCorona CA
Hey now! Chuck only drinks when the sun goes down. Unless of course it is already up. Then he will make an exception. But his team won the Super Bowl and his other team is headed to the World Series. Why would he get drunk every day?
Cancer has taken so much from so many. May we all live to see it eradicated. I miss you mom. I miss you Paul.

#14 BaseballMom

BaseballMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationWestminster....again

I happened to walk out into the hall when Jerry Dipoto was walking in with Sappington and Morin.  I said "Hey Jedi" and he just smiled and said "I hope you're right"...lol

Got a coupla pics with the boys, they were so nice!

• Chuck Richter and Geoff like this

#15 Chuck Richter

Chuck Richter

• Administrators
  • 6524 posts

I happened to walk out into the hall when Jerry Dipoto was walking in with Sappington and Morin.  I said "Hey Jedi" and he just smiled and said "I hope you're right"...lol

Got a coupla pics with the boys, they were so nice!

When you have them available, post them Jody!

Good times.

#16 Chuck Richter

Chuck Richter

• Administrators
  • 6524 posts

1505490_10202881893104831_1405181623_n.j

My favorite all-time Mike Trout picture, taken by me. :-) 

I had great seats, thanks to lhalo (Larry) and his wife who moved us down several rows to sit with them in row A for two games.

• Geoff and Lawrence like this

#17 Chuck Richter

Chuck Richter

• Administrators
  • 6524 posts

Some high quality pics coming on Wednesday or sooner, but here's some more.

Saltzer interviewing Jeff Fletcher, Terry Smith, Jose Mota and Mike DiGiovanna.

1898157_10202881490494766_1405710240_n.j

Saltzer interviewing Kole Calhoun...

1240463_10202881490094756_1073372722_n.j

Saltzer interviewing Hector Santiago....

1972463_10202881489254735_1028319133_n.j

Geoff Stoddart interviewing Jerry Dipoto...

1979654_10202881488054705_626413681_n.jp

A picture I took with Sarah Colonna's boyfriend, Jon Ryan, the Superbowl Champion Seattle Seahawks punter!

1488263_10202879542046056_1023456172_n.j

1947694_10202872698354968_787097727_n.jp

Every child 14 and under received a Mike Trout hat from us!

1604752_10202868104000112_2134414742_n.j

More Mike Trout....

1507547_10202867007532701_755571233_n.jp

My seats....

1904109_10202866995532401_1742058418_n.j

Tim Mead's office. Hung out for quite a bit talking about the event and coordinating everyone's arrival.

1743585_10202866620923036_1611297894_n.j

Taylor Lindsey on deck, Kole Calhoun at the plate. Both were in attendance at our Fanfest.

1932253_10202868038278469_1230462823_n.j

We crammed in 230 people into the Doubletree's Ballroom.

1898278_10202872698834980_1553846807_n.j

More high quality pics from James Doss coming soon, including my interview with Sarah Colonna which I didn't post here.

• Geoff likes this

#18 Splint7438

Splint7438

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationCorona CA
That is a great picture of Trout. Can't wait for a picture of him holding the World Series trophy
  • Chuck Richter and Tank like this
Cancer has taken so much from so many. May we all live to see it eradicated. I miss you mom. I miss you Paul.

#19 gotbeer

gotbeer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8176 posts

Chuck, I think Tdawg just exploded over that one picture because of where his hand is placed.  Might have to move it to the AD forum.

• Chuck Richter likes this

" I don’t just take one play, pitch, at-bat, and highlight and create something out of it…that’s lazy and it’s not how I’m wound." - Victor Rojas

#20 Chuck Richter

Chuck Richter

• Administrators
  • 6524 posts

Chuck, I think Tdawg just exploded over that one picture because of where his hand is placed.  Might have to move it to the AD forum.

I'm sure he's already downloaded it to his PC, And. Is. Busy. ATM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toggle shoutbox Voice Your Praise & Frustrations Here! Open the Shoutbox in a popup

AngelsWin.com introduces, Shoutbox A real-time feed for you to voice your in-game praises, frustrations or postgame rants.
@  Chuck Richter : (09 November 2014 - 10:10 PM) R.I.P. PercySquint
@  BaseballMom : (09 November 2014 - 10:02 PM) =(
@  Eric : (09 November 2014 - 07:59 PM) My heart was broken today.
@  Chuck Richter : (17 October 2014 - 12:00 PM) SAVE THE DATE Angels fans! Our Spring Fanfest Event in Tempe is March 14th. Be sure to plan your spring training visit accordingly.
@  Chuck Richter : (06 October 2014 - 12:22 PM) Oh well, good season Angels. Tough to see it end in the first round, but the memories were priceless this year and for that I'm thankful. Best Record in Baseball. Most Runs Scored. Best in the West!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (06 October 2014 - 08:16 AM) I (Heart) Josh Hamilton~ Our 25M a year Slappy Utility Outfielder Substitute....
@  Tank : (05 October 2014 - 04:00 PM) good job, CJ. just what we needed from you today.
@  JeanneusP : (04 October 2014 - 11:30 AM) Are we all curled up in the dark at home listening to Coldplay today or are there still games to play?
@  Ray McKigney : (03 October 2014 - 10:49 PM) Halos will win the next 3!!!!!
@  Michifan : (03 October 2014 - 02:41 PM) Oh brother at all the doom and gloom over one extra inning loss.
@  Hollyw00d : (25 September 2014 - 07:39 PM) Someone's earning a gift basket tonight
@  fatkook : (25 September 2014 - 02:28 PM) where are the results from the NFL picks ?
@  Chuck Richter : (18 September 2014 - 11:07 AM) THE ANGELS ARE YOUR 2014 AL WEST CHAMPIONS!!
@  GuliblGuy : (18 September 2014 - 10:25 AM) We did it and stuff
@  Ray McKigney : (12 September 2014 - 12:03 AM) POST SEASON BOUND!!!!!!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (05 September 2014 - 08:11 PM) MacDonald smokes a Ball with everything he has. And still can't get a hit..
@  SlappyUtilit... : (02 September 2014 - 06:19 PM) How does Hammy not RIP his shoulders out of socket with that swing?
@  SlappyUtilit... : (02 September 2014 - 06:18 PM) Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
@  SlappyUtilit... : (02 September 2014 - 06:18 PM) KLANK MAN GOT YOU!!! FOWLER~
@  SlappyUtilit... : (02 September 2014 - 06:05 PM) I HEART JOEY!!!!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (02 September 2014 - 06:05 PM) CY PEACOCK!
@  Angel Oracle : (02 September 2014 - 04:04 PM) Joey is back!
@  Angel Oracle : (02 September 2014 - 12:36 PM) Get the hitting shoes on today guys, Brad Peacock is very hittible.
@  Chris : (30 August 2014 - 05:52 PM) How about that Rasmus guy?  Dipoto should have gotten someone better for Downs.
@  SlappyUtilit... : (30 August 2014 - 11:33 AM) I miss Joey!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (29 August 2014 - 08:08 PM) Suck it Sogard~
@  SlappyUtilit... : (29 August 2014 - 08:04 PM) Maybe, Josh is really a right handed hitter?
@  Angel Oracle : (27 August 2014 - 12:32 PM) Bring a series win home tonight Hector!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (25 August 2014 - 08:48 PM) Great Outing Matt LeBlanc~
@  Chuck Richter : (25 August 2014 - 08:59 AM) How about them 1st place Angels?!?!?
@  Chuck Richter : (25 August 2014 - 08:58 AM) Sorry guys, I screwed up all the other sub forums by a change I made on the back end. I fixed it shortly thereafter though on the 22nd. All good!
@  Stevestevens : (22 August 2014 - 02:20 PM) I love the new additions to the hangout forum.  Besides all the new features, I love that Ray is blocked from having access
@  Ray McKigney : (22 August 2014 - 02:17 PM) Why do I need a password for the Hangout Forum?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!??!
@  Brandon : (22 August 2014 - 02:14 PM) i actually just wrote a thread about it in the hangout and after i posted it got the same protected screen
@  Brandon : (22 August 2014 - 02:14 PM) same
@  1nutkruk : (22 August 2014 - 01:51 PM) Same issue here.
@  Sam Sanchez : (22 August 2014 - 01:34 PM) same issue as soto here
@  SOTO : (22 August 2014 - 01:29 PM) Why is everything coming up "protected forum" fort me?  Yes I've logged out and logged back in.
@  SlappyUtilit... : (21 August 2014 - 06:52 PM) Beckham & Boesch for Hamels?
@  SlappyUtilit... : (21 August 2014 - 06:47 PM) Gordon F'n Beckham??? Do the Rangers want him in exchange for Yu?
@  Chuck Richter : (20 August 2014 - 11:14 AM) 24 Games above .500 in late August. Awesome!
@  2002_halos_II : (19 August 2014 - 03:49 PM) Great catch Kole,
@  SlappyUtilit... : (18 August 2014 - 06:35 PM) LTMOFO UP@!!!!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (17 August 2014 - 01:56 PM) Goes back to not scoring with the bases loaded and 0 outs
@  SlappyUtilit... : (17 August 2014 - 01:55 PM) Why is Aybar covering the bag with a Right handed batter? That is the wrong play
@  SlappyUtilit... : (15 August 2014 - 07:18 PM) 0 for Hamilton
@  SlappyUtilit... : (15 August 2014 - 07:04 PM) Soto has been fighting the Yippes! Way to go Sasser..Has to wipe has hand on the dirt for every throw back to the pitcher...
@  SlappyUtilit... : (15 August 2014 - 07:01 PM) HOWIE Get the F* out of the WAY!
@  SlappyUtilit... : (12 August 2014 - 07:24 PM) Jerome Williams To Start Tuesday

Started by nando714, Aug 10 2014 06:11 PM
@  SlappyUtilit... : (12 August 2014 - 07:24 PM) CY Williams At Least 7 innings of 5 hit ball...Book it~