NJHalo

Game of Thrones

1,866 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, RallyMo said:

They're idiots for squeezing this into 6 episodes. They could have done this right with the same storyline unfolding over 10 or so.

The first 3 episodes feel like they fit better into season 7 (which was already just 7 episodes). I think they could've pulled it off with seasons 7 and 8 taking place over 3 10 episode seasons. Instead they took the opposite approach and condensed it to get it all over with. As much as I love Danny's turn and felt it was justified I agree with all the people who thought it happened too fast, much like the Jon & Danny love story itself.

5 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

As much as I love Danny's turn and felt it was justified I agree with all the people who thought it happened too fast, much like the Jon & Danny love story itself.

Happened too fast? She has been a psycho bitch since her first season. There have been people keeping her inner Mad King in check but this was the battle she lived her whole life for and was never going to accept a surrender. Dragging that storyline out any longer is a waste, there is no longer any reason to stall. There was no more backstory to reveal, it's killing time for the warrior queen. 

Now the survivors have to decide how to kill this bitch before she toasts them all. Jami was the Kingslayer, now someone has to step up and be the Queenslayer before she burns the entire world to the ground. She is not going to have a triumphant ending.

Yeah, the Dany turning crazy arc is a long time coming. There are plenty of articles out there that show the progression. People are dense if they think this came out of the blue or was rushed.

I'm not a writer nor am I going to tell anyone how to do their job, but I too thought they could have made this a full season opposed to what kind of feels like a rush to wrap it up. Maybe there are budget issues as this show is highly expensive. I don't mind this season, but the pacing versus previous seasons is noticeable.

For sure, this was always Danny's inevitable conclusion, that Im not disagreeing with. I am a big fan of her turn, as I said. But there are a couple issues at play here.

For the entirety of the show she has been about protecting the innocent. She has shown flashes of her Targaryan violence many times before but it was always arguably justifiable. Here she is literally mowing down thousands of screaming civilians, women and children. I mean this is easily the worst thing anyone on the show has ever done! I would have liked to have seen some sort of smaller scale moment that could compare somewhere in a previous episode. Alternatively they could've changed the circumstances a bit, made her a little less violent, like say just burning up the soldiers after they surrendered, ignoring the citizens and then destroying the red keep.  

The other issue is that she was fine just last week. She was strangely jubilant at the big party after defeating the Night King... things didn't turn sour until after Tormond started talking up Jon Snow and she got all jealous. This is where the lack of episodes really hurts. I don't see why these last three episodes couldn't, or shouldn't have been 10. Give us more time to buy in to this characters decent into darkness.

Spoiler

I’m glad that Jon got to have Ghost. 

I’m not sure what I think.  I didn’t like or dislike it.  I don’t really have a strong opinion on how it should have ended.  So i guess I’m fine just accepting what we got.  

I wish they spread it out over more episodes.  I feel pretty strongly that the abbreviated seasons hurt the over all story telling in the back end of the story.  Still overall, this was an amazing run and something that overall I really enjoyed and looked forward to.  So I’m happy that we had it while it lasted.  

I love the world and look forward to whatever else we get within it.  Hopefully Martin finishes the books and that feels more satisfying for me as far as the song of ice and fire. 

Edited by UndertheHalo