Chuckster70

Your Angels Fandom DOB: Were you an Angels fan before, during or after the 2002 season?

Angels Fandom DOB: ?  

327 members have voted

1. 1. Were you an Angels fan before the 2002 World Championship Season?

• Yes, I was a fan before the 2002 season
    • No, I became a fan after the 2002 season
    • No, I became a fan during the 2002 season
  2. 2. When did you become an Angels fan?

189 posts in this topic

arch stanton    5,133

I started paying attention in '72 but it was '73 and following Nolan through the season of 383 that got me hooked. Me and my little clock radio listening to Enberg and Drysdale.

We went to about 10 games that year, usually sitting a few rows behind the 1st base dugout. Those seats cost $7.50 and could be bought at the window on game day.

ok9275    0

Possibly 96 or 97, I cannot remember the exact year... I just remember I was about 9-10 years old and every morning before taking my shower to go to school I would run outside every morning, pick up the newspaper, take out the sports section and seeing what time the Angels/Ducks/Lakers played since they all played on kcal lol

Keener    125

Ha!  Good spot to make my first post on the new board. 

1978 or '79.  Different family members share the credit/blame for taking me to the Big A as a 5 or 6 year old.   

I was lucky enough to get an autograph,and have a short conversation with Bobby Grich a couple of years later while all of the other fans waiting outside were distracted by Reggie.  That really solidified my fandom.  

Around that time, my little league team won our league in Chino Hills.  We got to go to our choice of an Angels or Dodgers game.  Unfortunately, my vote stood alone, and we had to go to Chavez...

greginpsca    331

1967 out of the womb.  My Grandfather and Father were old PCL Angels fans.  I remember them telling stories of how they hated the fact that Brooklyn moved in and they could not stand OMalley for what he did to the Angels and the effect the move had on the PCL in general.  It destroyed 2-3 generations of baseball history.

When the Angels became an AL team there was no question where the loyalties of the family were going to be, and the way OMalley treated Autry just further increased the family's devotion and defense of the Angels and fueled the hatred of the Dodger organization.

I laugh when I see and hear Dodger fans talk about their "superiority" in Los Angeles.  They really know nothing about baseball or its history.

The way the OMalley's treated the Angels was a big reason for my family turning on the Dodgers. Also,i remember my dad being pissed at how The Dodger players refused to sign autographs for kids after the games. Yet, Angel players, to this day have always been more than happy to sign.

Claude    5,088

1984. I was there for Reggie Jacksons 500th homerun. I bought and still have the commemorative t-shirt that they sold only on that day.

JB Abell    11

My dad took me to my first game in 1986 when I was 2 weeks old to the playoffs against the Red Sox, last time they went there before 2002.

Obviously i have no recollection of that, but I've been going to at least 5 games a season ever since. Been a fan since before I can even remember.

nando714    3,083

Ever since i can remember baseball there was the angels

As a kid id always bug my dad to take me to games

I was born in 87 and i can remember being at the stadium in 1992 for the first time

In 1989 I started dating a guy who became my husband. That meant going with him to 20+ games a season.  We spent many a dreary night at the stadium, and that made me a true fan. And it made 2002 all the more sweet.

Being from San Diego I was a Padres fan as a kid.  My cousin was a big fan of Ken Griffey Jr. in the early 90s, so my uncle took us to a 3 game set over the weekend, Angels against the Mariners.  I was rooting for the Angels just to bust my cousin's balls, but I caught Angels fever and have been die-hard ever since.

wpghalo    37

I live in canada so we only mostly get blue jays games. I live in winnipeg and when 2002 playoffs were on.. the atmosphete n criwd of angels got me hooked and then watchong angels glaus, salmon, anderson, david extiene etc.. hitting home runs after another I followed em whole world series n they became my mlb team... havent looked back since. Bought world series box set!

Lets Go Angels!

Puckfiend    11

Born at Anaheim General Hospital in '69. My father was a Dodgers fan, so when I was younger I rooted for Dodgers in the NL and Angels in the AL. They didn't play each other back in those days, so wasn't that hard to like both teams..plus I was just a kid and didn't know any better about liking two different teams. I stopped rooting for the Dodgers when they let my favorite Dodgers player Garvey walk away in free agency after the '83 season. The Angels were then my main team and Padres were my NL team until Garvey retired. I have only rooted for the Angels since then. And I got to attend both Game 6 & 7 of the 2002 World Series. 

Spring, 1961. My family moved to LA from NY in1959. Dad was originally a Yankee fan until the Angels were formed (he hated the Dodgers for moving out of NY, so I learned to hate 'em too.) I was 10 years old when I sat with him that first season and watched games on TV from the Old Wrigley Field in LA (gone now). Ted Klu, Bob Cerv, Belinsky, what a gang. A die hard fan, I listened to Buddy Blatner, Don Wells, then later Enberg and Drysdale (they were amazing together) announce games on the radio, win or lose, through the 60's and 70's, they fielded lots of mediocre teams then. Still a die hard fan, its in my blood, can't seem to shake it no matter how bad things get- and as you know, they've been worse for this team in the past- but still fun.

fureousangel    20

Let me wade in here. Growing up in a dodger family, as a youth at first it was all about rebelling against the norm in the early 80s. Then somewhere along the lines of Fred Lynn and Doug D at the hot spot I got hooked.

Maybe it was Brian Downing, Wally World, the worthless signing of the Double Dave's, and on and on and on.

But I can't knock the fans who came in around 2002. I've already become that old bitter guy.

lwd918    1

I was always an Angels fan. It wasn't until 1988 when I met Michael, my husband, that I really became a huge fan. Michael is an avid baseball fan.

Halospdx    0

I live in Portland,Oregon. My grandparents lived in Buena Park in the 70's and we would visit every summer. Grandpa was a huge Angels fan and would take us to games. I must have been the only Angel's fan in Portland at that point. All my friends were pulling for the Giants in 2002. Some of them now root for the Angels. Not sure how I feel about it.

jimbo    81

Grew up in azusa/la puente/baldwin park, surrounded by doggie fans. '82, at the age of 11, i distinctly remember being heart broken for the first time when we lost the series with the brewers after being up 2-0. Been a member of " baseball pergatory inc."since then.

Pdblu    1

Angel fans "came out of the woodwork" during the 2002 season. I used to go to Angel games in the 70's, 80's and 90's when the Stadium was only half filled. These were the decades when the Dodgers were selling out most games.

Hello. My name is Bernard Wolfson. I am a writer for the Orange County Register and its recently launched sister paper, the Long Beach Register. I am writing a feature story for the LB Register about whether Long Beach is an Angels town or a Dodgers town. I would love to speak to any Angels fans who live in Long Beach. If you fit the bill, please e-mail me: bwolfson@ocregister.com. Thank you.

I know it was the 1st year because the Yanks and Angels were on the game of the week so often with the home run thing going on. I liked the Angels because of lil Albie Pearson and big Steve Bilko and crew. I still have the lineup in my head darn it. What a fun team to watch especially in that tiny ballpark. Not many little kids would wait for the afternoon paper to get the box scores from the West coast but I had to know. Back then I knew every players bio, left or right handed, hometown, age and history. Fun times actually. And yep, I was the one that even wore Halos caps thru High School, college and my military years. Not many commanding officers appreciated that, but they got over it. I suspect I could retire on my investments in the Angels.