nate

Angels trade for Andrelton Simmons - Aybar, Newcomb, Ellis & $2.5mm to Braves $*#&

517 posts in this topic

I slept on it as well.

Aybar will not be a brave

So we traded Newcomb for 5 solid years of ELITE defense at a very important position. Simmons is only 26! He's not a rental, he's not entering his mid 30s. A proven wizard at ss for Newcomb.

• Like 3

I think he will be good, especially if his command improves. I think Simmons will be good too, he'll make all of our pitchers a little better. I don't think Aybar was someone the Angels wanted to extend at the end of next year, and there is no other immediate solution in house to play SS after that. Ellis is a possible good 4th or 5th starter, but we have a lot of those. I wish all the players involved here the best. And thanks Eric for the great hustle, and good times, the memories were great.

You always have a knack for reasoning ... another excellent post.

• Like 3

unless i'm reading this wrong, this comment really doesn't apply. i think you're talking about our over the hill did it all on another team glory days players, which simmons is not even remotely a part of. this kids best years are ahead of him. that's the kind of players we should be acquiring. yes, it was at great cost. did it make the team better right now? i don't know, but i know he's the best player in the trade for the forseeable future.

I'm just happy that he's 26 years old and not 34, like our usual acquisitions. That's a pleasant change.

I'm just happy that he's 26 years old and not 34, like our usual acquisitions. That's a pleasant change.

How many 34 year olds have we acquired in the last six years or so?

How many 34 year olds have we acquired in the last six years or so?

Okay, I exaggerated. 30+, is that better?

Edited by fan_since79

Eppler got his Jeter in his first move! Now to find our A-Rod.  :blink:

I'm sure FabulousFabregas has some ideas for that...

• Like 1

I slept on it, and I still think the price was wayyyyyyyyyy too high.

I like Simmons, just not what we paid to get him.

Jim Bowden, ESPN:

What the Angels received: Andrelton Simmons games best defensive shortstop and best overall defensive player. Only 26-years old with attitude and pop and bat will improve working with Mike Trout and Albert Pujols on a nightly basis.

Jim Bowden, ESPN:

What the Angels received: Andrelton Simmons games best defensive shortstop and best overall defensive player. Only 26-years old with attitude and pop and bat will improve working with Mike Trout and Albert Pujols on a nightly basis.

I don't think Bowden realizes it's 2015.

I still think they gave up too much in Aybar, their top two prospects and cash for a younger albeit better defensive version of Aybar.  Newcomb may never develop into what scouts think he can but as our biggest trade chip it seems like you move him if it fills a need like 3B, LF or some other bat.  This move alone looks terrible but the off season is far from over.       

I just read some thoughts on the Braves board and it's funny that both sides are outraged that they got the bad end of the deal. Early on in the thread many Braves fan said how'd they be pissed if they "only" got DeGrom or Harvey for Simmons...  :D

Edited by zenmaster
  • Like 1

Jim Bowden, ESPN:

Gotta love players with attitude. And....was Bowden implying that Simmons would be hitting next to Trout and Pujols? He's a #9 hitter unless his bat improves. Doesn't get on base, doesn't run....

Gotta love players with attitude. And....was Bowden implying that Simmons would be hitting next to Trout and Pujols? He's a #9 hitter unless his bat improves. Doesn't get on base, doesn't run....

no. he's saying that they're going to make him a better hitter, which is dumb.

My wife and I were signing escrow papers for our first house last night.  Couldn't be more excited about the future and then I check my phone and see this trade...  It was weird how much it bummed me out.  Ruined the whole evening.  What an overpayment! I hope I end up being wrong but unless Simmons starts to hit like Jeter I think we lost this one for sure.

Congrats on the house, dude!

My wife and I were signing escrow papers for our first house last night.  Couldn't be more excited about the future and then I check my phone and see this trade...  It was weird how much it bummed me out.  Ruined the whole evening.  What an overpayment! I hope I end up being wrong but unless Simmons starts to hit like Jeter I think we lost this one for sure.

Hope the overpayment wasn't for the house.

Albert can recite his Hall of Fame stats to give the kid some extra motivation.

When he gets back after the '17 ASB.

• Like 1

Doesn't Simmons also have good speed? I know he doesn't steal much but I think he's at least as fast as Aybar.

And that is why Jim Bowden is on Roger Lodges show and not in a Major League Front Office......

I like the Aybar for Simmons part. I then understand why you add in Newcomb (who becomes their #1 prospect is saying quite a bit) as Ayabr is a FA next year.... But, then to add in another lefty prospect and flip them 3M like its nothing even though they will probably flip Aybar for other younger parts and will end up never paying a penny of his salary is just amazingly ridiculous to me.

BTW, Lodge had his knee pads working overtime yesterday.

I get we are lefty top heavy. I was just expecting a better offensive player at a position of need if we were to trade Newcomb.

Edited by SlappyUtilityGuy

nervously waiting to hear that we've traded trout for two guys who can each hit 17 homers, drive in 50 runs, and steal 6 bases.

• Like 2