nate

Angels trade for Andrelton Simmons - Aybar, Newcomb, Ellis & $2.5mm to Braves $*#&

517 posts in this topic

tdawg87    12,954

You get a little better defensively, worse offensively, and you give up your top prospect.  Unreal. 

Lets not undermine how good Simmons is. The Angels got A LOT better defensively. Aybar is a good defensive shortstop. Simmons is the best in the game.

He's also marginally worse than Aybar with the bat, so its a wash.

But giving up Newcomb for him is absurd.

• Like 1

bloodbrother    5,405

I mean, Simmons gives this team a SS on a very nice deal for the next 5 years....but this offense was terrible last season and has ltitle to no bats in the minors. If you are going to deal your top prospect, you gotta do it for an impact bat....not a stud defensive SS

• Like 2

Corona    207

I would've rather kept aybar and Newcomb and just hoped aybar performed better in a contract year, this trade sucks.

• Like 1

Mark68    2,345

Angels To Acquire Andrelton Simmons

By Jeff Todd |

November 12, 2015 at 5:37pm CST

The Angels have agreed to a deal to acquire shortstop Andrelton Simmons from the Braves, MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez reports on Twitter.

Halos shortstop Erick Aybar is among the players who will be headed back to Atlanta, MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez tweets. He’ll likely serve as a placeholder for the Braves, who have a highly-regarded young shortstop in Ozhaino Albies.

Lefty Sean Newcomb and righty Chris Ellis are also going to the Braves, per Gonzalez (via Twitter) and Joel Sherman of the New York Post (also on Twitter). The pair were the two top-rated Halos pitching prospects.

Atlanta will pick up around $3MM in the swap as well, presumably to offset some of Aybar’s salary, according to Sherman.

FML

This is a horrible trade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

YouthofToday    1,049

Andrelton costs a bit more than $8 million towards the cap. He will earn $6 million in 2016, $8 million in 2017, $11 million in 2018, $13 million in 2019 and $15 million in 2020.

Interesting how pitching prospects seems to be the first thing out the door with one GM, a prized commodity with the next and then back to the first thing out the door again. Yes, I understand context is everything.

Hopefully Arte has the checkbook ready to fix glaring holes at 3B, 2B, C, LF, DH/1B and the need for a frontline SP.

nando714    3,083

I don't get it. We have a above avg ss as is and we just traded for another while giving up 2 top prospects and 3 million dollars.

This trade makes no sense

• Like 2

Inside Pitch    5,609

Andrelton costs a bit more than $8 million towards the cap. He will earn $6 million in 2016, $8 million in 2017, $11 million in 2018, $13 million in 2019 and $15 million in 2020.

Interesting how pitching prospects seems to be the first thing out the door with one GM, a prized commodity with the next and then back to the first thing out the door again. Yes, I understand context is everything.

Hopefully Arte has the checkbook ready to fix glaring holes at 3B, 2B, C, LF, DH/1B and the need for a frontline SP.

I hope you're right in regards to your last statement, and that it's an indication the team intends to spend.  Because the only way this works is if it's cost certainty sort of move -- lock up payroll in one place to be able to spend in other areas.

• Like 1

Mark68    2,345

The one guy we had who could become an ace, traded for a slap hitting shortstop. How much better will this team be with Simmons defense at short compared to Aybars defense.

Not Newcomb + Ellis better.