nate

Angels trade for Andrelton Simmons - Aybar, Newcomb, Ellis & $2.5mm to Braves $*#&

517 posts in this topic

tdawg87    13,071

I kind of expected Ellis to be gone if this trade were to happen, but Newcomb? How in the hell?

We also just went back to having the worst farm system in baseball by a wide margin.

I mean, I really like Simmons. He locks down the SS position for the next 5 years. But there is no reason to give up your top 2 prospects along with your shortstop who is already pretty damn good himself. Aybar, Ellis, and a relief prospect I can get. But this is absurd.

• Like 2

Inside Pitch    5,643

So what does this mean for Baldoquin? Do they intend on making him a 2B going forward or are they just gonna go and trade him as well?

It means the guy that was part of a team with a massive international department and scouting network doesn't think much of JD's guy.  On the plus side we will be able to spend on International FAs again in two years.

Mark68    2,346

The guy is a human highlight reel at SS...but not seeing the Braves much, hard to know what his other attributes are.

He's just got the one attribute.

bloodbrother    5,454

I read up on Newcomb last night ... a very promising can't miss front of the rotation starter ... now I HOPE HE'S A BUST!

Pretty messed up. I hope he succeeds. Not his fault he got traded. If it turns out bad for the Angels then we can point the fingers at the FO yet again for their blunders

Inside Pitch    5,643

The guy is a human highlight reel at SS...but not seeing the Braves much, hard to know what his other attributes are.

He doesn't K, he can milk a walk..  But hes a defense first guy.  Basically we traded for what the Rangers used to think Elvis Andrus would become.

HaloCory22    1,336

I'm fine with this deal. Simmons for 5 more years with A++ defense is much better than anything Aybar provides. Prospects are not a guarantee. Nuke has a great chance of being a front of the rotation guy in 3-5 years. I think this means we're going hard after FA pitchers. Price, Greinke, Zimm, Cueto, etc. Makes no sense to trade these two pitchers and not go all in on FAs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Homebrewer    3,919

I woke up this morning feeling that something was going to happen on the Halos trade front today.

This is far from anything I even imagined.

• Like 1

red321    3,159

What-the-Hell-GIF.gif?gs=a

First glance...

I guess you have to see what the rest of the offseason looks like...but viewed in a vacuum seems off. Maybe the are opening the checkbook and signing a bunch of free agents and going full win now mode...but really you can't even say that since they didn't seem to address their biggest needs.

Mark68    2,346

Dear God,

Please help this new GM figure shit out before he trades Trout for Uribe.

Thank you.

Eli Grba

Uribe's a free agent. Wouldn't have to trade for him.

You're welcome. :)

gotbeer    5,987

Ok Ok.  Silver Lining time.

Maybe this GM realizes that we have a once in a generation player.  And there is no sure thing that he will stay with the team beyond the 5 years they have him signed for.  

So he will put the best MLB Team around him that he can, so that we can win now.  

Which hopefully means he will be very active in the FA market.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Sherlock31    297

Dear God,

Please help this new GM figure shit out before he trades Trout for Uribe.

Thank you.

Eli Grba

He is going to trade Trout to the Yankees for a player to be name later.. ..

bloodbrother    5,454

I can understand this assuming they follow it up by signing Heyward. Adding 2 26 year old's for the long haul while immensely improving the team's overall defense. Heyward obviously helps improve the offense(mainly hits atop the lineup since he can draw walks)

The team has depth at SP....you can argue if you think the depth is great or not but they can go about 7-8 arms deep so Eppler was dealing from a position of strength. I just don't like giving up Newcomb. Outside of Richards, he has the best pure stuff of any of the other starters and has the highest ceiling.

Need to see what Eppler does after this. Heyward + signing a FA SP would help make this deal make more sense

Chuckster70    8,289

This makes no F'n sense. 

Trade your top prospect for a marginal player?!?!?!?

Someone tell me what I'm missing on Simmons. In another thread I said trade Aybar, Ellis, Alacantara and Baldoquin for him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Trolling 1