Sign in to follow this  
Vegas Halo Fan

Las Vegas Raiders?

232 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mtangelsfan said:

I don't think any major league sport other than football works in Vegas.  Not enough population except for weekends.

I would disagree.  Visited my aunt in Summerland.  Vegas is now looking like a drive on the west side of Los Angeles.  10 years ago, there was large area's that weren't developed.  Now it's just community after community.  I went to a new area by Red Rock, and it was a higher end mall that wasn't geared towards tourists, but to residents.  Hockey will do just fine in Vegas, as long as they don't screw up the name, and cater to tourists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok this was in the LA Times today.  Something struck me as very odd.

What else is new? NFL, billionaires prepare two new stadium ripoffs

 

No, not that they are looking for a handout.  Adelsson wants a handout from Vegas.  Adelsson owns Sands and Venetian and says the stadium is a must have.  MGM says it would be nice to have. 

The thing that struck me as odd.  Is that the location of the stadium would be next to the airport, according to this article, where the golf course is. 

I know enough about Vegas geography to know that this would be a direct and huge benefit to MGM.  Since the stadium would be on the side of the strip where MGM pretty much controls everything. 

If Adelsson is going to be a major partner in this thing, shouldn't he be fighting for a location that would benefit him, and not be a major benefit to a competitor? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, an FYI.  I didn't know it was Adelsson that was deeply involved in this.  I thought it was Raiders, UNLV, and Convention Center.  Didn't realize it was the Sands Convention Center side, and not the Las Vegas Convention Center authority.  So that really changes a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

I would disagree.  Visited my aunt in Summerland.  Vegas is now looking like a drive on the west side of Los Angeles.  10 years ago, there was large area's that weren't developed.  Now it's just community after community.  I went to a new area by Red Rock, and it was a higher end mall that wasn't geared towards tourists, but to residents.  Hockey will do just fine in Vegas, as long as they don't screw up the name, and cater to tourists. 

Two million people isn't enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Las Vegas metro area is larger than

Columbus, San Jose, Nashville, Buffalo, Quebec, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary

 

 

All of those areas have other large populations close by.  Vegas is all on its own

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

All of those areas have other large populations close by.  Vegas is all on its own

 

But Vegas has a huge tourist population that no city in the world can match.  They will do fine.  I expect fans of other teams invading Vegas when their teams play also.  Some to get out of the snow.  Others, because they can't get tickets for their home games.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gotbeer said:

But Vegas has a huge tourist population that no city in the world can match.  They will do fine.  I expect fans of other teams invading Vegas when their teams play also.  Some to get out of the snow.  Others, because they can't get tickets for their home games.

 

A majority of those tourists are there on weekends.  Which is why the NFL is the perfect fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mtangelsfan said:

A majority of those tourists are there on weekends.  Which is why the NFL is the perfect fit.

NFL will kill in Vegas, if they can get their act together.  But we are talking about the Raiders, so it's like a 20-80 chance they will blow it. 

NHL is already a done deal, they have pretty much sold out the stadium already.  Name issue is dragging on.  The big question will be what will someone be willing to pay for the TV rights.  That's going to be what makes or breaks them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In order for the stadium plan to be in place in time for the league meeting in January, Governor Sandoval would have to call a special session of the State Legislature to consider the issue. Our legislature meets biennially, and they aren't due to convene again until February 2017.

As far as public money being used, Las Vegas is in the unique position of funding this through a small increase in the hotel tax, meaning that locals won't be hit with higher taxes for it. The average hotel stay will increase $1 per night as a result.

In comparison, I heard that San Diego is considering a hotel tax increase four times the amount of ours for their stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2016 at 4:10 PM, gotbeer said:

I would disagree.  Visited my aunt in Summerland.  Vegas is now looking like a drive on the west side of Los Angeles.  10 years ago, there was large area's that weren't developed.  Now it's just community after community.  I went to a new area by Red Rock, and it was a higher end mall that wasn't geared towards tourists, but to residents.  Hockey will do just fine in Vegas, as long as they don't screw up the name, and cater to tourists. 

The Red Rock area is where the proposed new baseball park will be built, if funding is ever finalized. I'm about a 15 minute drive from that area. Once upon a time there was nothing there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2016 at 6:55 PM, gotbeer said:

NHL is already a done deal, they have pretty much sold out the stadium already.  Name issue is dragging on.  The big question will be what will someone be willing to pay for the TV rights.  That's going to be what makes or breaks them.

I suppose that one question that will remain is if there will be a Fox Sports Las Vegas, or if we will continue to be tied to Fox Sports West, which mainly covers LA-area teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RallyMo said:

San Antonio/Austin makes too much sense. The combined population is like 4 million and will be at 5.5 in 10 years and football is a religion here. BUT VEGAS! CASINOS!

Would San Antonio/Austin be willing to put up $750 million, and some billionaire putting up another $650 million?  Once you get that lined up, San Antonio/Austin can be in the conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I suppose that one question that will remain is if there will be a Fox Sports Las Vegas, or if we will continue to be tied to Fox Sports West, which mainly covers LA-area teams.

Could have the Comcast or Time Warner, or whoever the heck did the mess in Los Angeles jump in.  But considering football and baseball might come.  And I'm sure NBA is looking to see how the NHL does.  Someone is going to start a station.  Come to think of it.  Might not be a bad idea for Foley to start his own RSN.  It's perfect pickings for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Could have the Comcast or Time Warner, or whoever the heck did the mess in Los Angeles jump in.  But considering football and baseball might come.  And I'm sure NBA is looking to see how the NHL does.  Someone is going to start a station.  Come to think of it.  Might not be a bad idea for Foley to start his own RSN.  It's perfect pickings for it.

It would not surprise me at all for the Athletics to wind up here. They played two weeks of regular season games here after the Coliseum was damaged by the 1989 earthquake, and it seems pretty plain that nothing is going to happen in Oakland regarding the stadium situation. Years ago, long before these discussions came up, Reggie Jackson headed a group of investors whose goal it was to buy the team and move them to Las Vegas.

I don't really know what has changed, but the sports leagues seem to have collectively realized that legalized sports betting isn't the pariah that they once believed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always believed that it was extremely hypocritical of the NFL to take such a hard line on Las Vegas while they partnered with paid fantasy league sites. They refused to accept Las Vegas advertising for the Super Bowl, and they threatened to sue any hotels who held Super Bowl parties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Governor Brian Sandoval has expressed his intention to call a special session of the State Legislature to consider the stadium proposal for the Raiders. Sandoval supports approval. Our legislature meets biannually, and they are not due to convene again until early February - after the January meeting at which the owners will look at the Raiders' request to move. The hope is to have everything in place before that happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When this first started up, I figured that it was total fantasy - like a local sports talk guy saying back when Al Davis owned the Raiders that moving them here was just the kind of thing that Al would do to piss the NFL off. Now, probably 10-12 years later, it looks like the move may actually happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • AngelsWin.com Ad-free Membership Options