Dochalo

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

1,878 posts in this topic

Dave Saltzer    582

Alcantra struggles with getting movement on the ball. He can dial it up to triple digits, but loses control when he does so. He needs to bring it back a bit, get some more movement on it, and keep the control. He also really needs to develop his secondary stuff so that he can setup his pitches better. When he's on, and getting it down in the zone, and working the secondaries, he's tough to hit. When he's not, yeah, it's fast, but it's straight, and hittable.

• Like 2

SlappyUtilityMIF    1,528

Sometimes Alcantara is an ace (6 innings no runs 9 k's)....and sometimes he's that (3 innings 5 runs 6 walks and no strikeouts).

So, the possibility of more consistently inconsistent young pitchers are in our Future?  Great~

Scotty@AW    3,088

So, the possibility of more consistently inconsistent young pitchers are in our Future? Great~

I've said for quite some time, Alcantara is a reliever if I ever saw one. As a reliever, if he's only responsible for one inning of success instead of multiple, he may be able to sustain the consistency he needs.

Dochalo    10,644

A - win 6-4

Hutton Moyer 2-5 Solid in Orem last year with a .761ops.  Almost 24 years old

Sanger 1-4, error (3)

Tanner Lubach 2-4  Catcher with a solid year at orem as well .762ops. 23 years old

Jordan Serena 3-4. 

Josh Delph 2-4 

Grayson Long 5ip, 4h, 0er, 3bb, 3k

Zach Hartman 3ip, 1h, 1bb, 2k.  Undrafted out of UNLV.  1.80era last year between AZL and Orem.  30ip, 40k, 3bb.  24 years old.  

Dochalo    10,644

A+ win 4-2

Angel Rosa 2-4

Briceno 1-4

Houchins 0-4

Caleb Adams 2-4, double, 2rbi

Jeremy Rhoades 6ip, 5h, 2er, 1bb, 5k

Eduardo Paredes 1ip, 2k.  in 2015, 55.1ip, 44h, 10bb, 72k

Dochalo    10,644

AAA - won 4-3

Nick Buss 2-5, 2hr, 3rbi

Skaggs 3ip, 2h, 0er (2r), 0bb, 5k

AJ Achter 3ip, 1h, 1er, 0bb, 3k

Javy Guerra 2.2ip, 3h, 0er, 1bb, 3k

Cotts 1.1ip 1h, 2k

Dochalo    10,644

A - lost 3-2 in 12

Jared Walsh 2-3, 2bb

Delph 2-5

Ronnie Glenn 4ip, 3h, 1er, 4bb, 5k

Jared Ruxer 3ip, 3h, 1er, bb, 5k.

A+ won 4-0

Fletcher 2-4

Arakawa 2-4, hr, 2rbi

Ward 1-4, rbi

Tyler Carpenter 6ip, 1h, 0er, 1bb, 5k. 24yo who was a RP in 2014 and 2015.  Conversion to starting is working out well so far.  25th round from Georgia Gwinnet College.  

AA won 15-1

Sherm 1-3, rbi, 3rbi, 3bb

Yarbrough 2-4, double, rbi, 2bb

Eric Aguilera 3-5, 2 doubles, 3rbi

Towey 2-4, hr, 2rbi, bb

Brandon Bayardi, 4-6, 2 doubles, 2rbi

Bo Way 2-5, 3b, 3rbi

Alex Blackford 5ip, 3h, 1er, 2bb, 6k

AAA won 10-5

Robinson 2-5

Marte 3-4, bb

Buss 2-4, 3b

Cowart 1-4

Chris Jones 4ip, 6h, 1er, 2bb, 2so

• Like 2

Glen    6,414

Nate Smith still looking good in AAA - last night he did 7ip, 7h, 3 ER, 0 BB, 6K. 2.04 ERA on the season.

Nice. We may see him in the rotation before the end of the season.

totdprods    2,552

Eric Aguilera and Brandon Bayardi are hitting the crap out of the ball in Arkansas. If they can keep it up for a full season they may enter the picture for 4th OF and the LH 1B bat off the bench next season, or even September if we're down and out.

Scotty@AW    3,088

Aguilera has an Efren Navarro type skill set. Brandon Bayardi is harder to identify. Just a big, strong man. I don't know if it translates but he can certainly hit the ball hard.

Dochalo    10,644

I love this thread. Thanks for everyone's contributions especially you Doc!

absolutely.  

I think these kids deserve some recognition.  It would kinda suck if a bunch of people who've never seen you play are telling you that you suck and have no chance of being a major leaguer.  Of course you want them to have thick skin and be able to rise above, but they are 18-25 years old.  A little recognition and encouragement doesn't hurt.  They deserve our support.  

• Like 2

Dochalo    10,644

A - lost 7-3 (5-6 overall)

not much hitting today

Gatto 4ip, 9h, 6er, 4bb, 1k.  Come on Joe.  Let's see you pitch and not throw.  

Eric Alonzo 3ip, 0h, 0er, 0bb, 3k.  pretty much unhittable so far.  9ip, 2h, 13k.  At 24yo, time to move him along.  

A+ -lost 4-1 (2-10).  Tough start.  

Caleb Adams 3-4

Houchins 1-4

Ward 0-4

Fletcher 1-3, bb

Briceno 1-4 (.317).  Threw out two runners.  Caught 3 of 8 so far.  

AA - double header split won 3-0 and lost 5-2 (4-7 overall)

game 1

sherm 1-3, hr

game 2 

Sherm 1-3, bb

Yarbrough 2-2, 2bb, rbi

Aguilera 1-4

Mcgowin 7ip, 1h, 0er, 1bb, 9k.  Brilliant!!

AAA - won 6-2 (10-2 overall)

Navarro 2-5, hr

Cunningham 3-5, double, sb (2) (so far, .325, .449obp, .500slg)

Nick Buss 2-2, rbi, 3bb (.326, .383, .605)

Maya 5.1ip, 5h, 0er, 2bb, 4k.  

Cotts 1.2ip, 1h, 0er, 2k

Achter, 1ip, 1h 2bb

Al Al 1ip, 1er, 0h, 4bb, 1k.  

totdprods    2,552

I like that Sherman Johnson is doing a lot better out of the gate than last year at AA. BA over .300 and OBP over .400

Dude's drawing a lot of walks. Wonder how long they keep him in ARK or if he gets bumped up to SLC as the season goes on. If Gia can't turn it around mid-season will be interesting to see how they start handling Sherm and his future.

totdprods    2,552

Will Nate smith see some time with the Angels this year ?

I imagine he's next in line after Tropeano/Skaggs. Our rotation really is incredibly deep. It may not be lights out but we have a dearth of options, even with the injuries to Heaney and Wilson and struggles of Weaver and Shoe. Going to have a lot of options with that group as the season goes on.

Interesting scenario - if Santiago continues pitching like this and the team is looking bleak at the break, he could become a pretty solid trade piece.

Bah. Forgot about Kendrick. He would be in line ahead of Smith I imagine.

Edited by totdprods

Scotty@AW    3,088

Dude's drawing a lot of walks. Wonder how long they keep him in ARK or if he gets bumped up to SLC as the season goes on. If Gia can't turn it around mid-season will be interesting to see how they start handling Sherm and his future.

Not sure that's in the cards. We already have Yarbrough, Navarro, Cowart and Kubitza logging time at 2B and 3B, both are Sherm's spots.

Chuckster70    8,166

Not sure that's in the cards. We already have Yarbrough, Navarro, Cowart and Kubitza logging time at 2B and 3B, both are Sherm's spots.

If Johnson can keep it up, I'd rather have him and his speed, but more importantly on-base skills over all of the players you mentioned above at 2B. 

Also, I think he could be a perfect replacement at 3B if/once Escobar leaves. Good leadoff hitter. But he must show us he can make better contact this year in addition to drawing walks. I like his speed/power combo for an infielder. 

• Like 1

totdprods    2,552

I can't see Cowart or Kubitza being viable as full-time 2B options though...they just don't have enough experience there. 

In a UT or back-up role? Sure. 

As for Yarbrough, he seems to be in ARK now too, so Sherm has opportunity to leap-frog him, and if he continues to outperform I could see him start to push Navarro as well. 

Depends on how the club sees Pennington. If Gia is struggling mightily, does Pennington take over 2B or remain as the full-time UT player?

If he becomes the 2B, who becomes the full-time UT player?