Dochalo

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

1,878 posts in this topic

Angelsjunky    3,746

As I said, @totdprods, I agree with one-year stopgaps (or possibly two-year, if they are moveable) - especially if the Angels are of the mind that these players can and will lose their jobs if a more talented youngster is knocking at the door, although from past experience Scioscia is unfortunately hesitant to do that. But as I started with, I'm fine if they go risky and have an open audition in Spring Training with Puello, Herm, Lund, and Sanger. Maybe I'm jumping the gun on that, but I tend to be more excited about young prospects getting a chance than 30-something middling free agents.

But sure, sign a low-cost rental to start the year in LF - no real harm in that. Hermosillo clearly needs more seasoning in the minors but, I think, will be major league ready by about mid-season next year. Same with Lund and possibly Sanger. If that rental gets hurt or struggles, you've got a better-seasoned Herm or Lund to come up (or possibly Puello, if he's still around and/or not the 4th outfielder).

I suspect Eppler will continue to be frugal and go for stop-gaps in LF and either 2B or 3B, depending upon what they decide to do with Cowart and Valbuena. 1B is also a possibility, but I don't think they go after an over-priced free agent like Hosmer - who is exactly the type of player they should avoid, because he'll be paid more than he's worth due to general league-wide weakness at the position, and they've got a clone of him in AA already, less than a year away. I'd rather see the Angels go for another year of Cron/Valbuena, with the hopes that Thaiss can mature quickly. Of course it is something to think about long-term, as neither Cron nor probably Thaiss looks to be anything more than a decent regular first baseman.

So the Angels could start the year with Cron at 1B, Cowart at 3B, and Valbuena platooning between the two. That would leave 2B as an area to upgrade from outside. Cowart gives them a lot of flexibility because he can also start at 2B if they want to go after Moustakas. So it may be that Eppler is looking at 1B, 2B, 3B, and LF, but has enough flexibility at all four that he can go in different directions and really only needs to sign external players at maybe two of those positions.

• Like 1

ettin    2,173

The interesting aspect of trading for a one-year stop gap Major Leaguer is that it can be an opportunity, depending on who the trade partner is, for Eppler to trade away any prospects he considers chaff or bubble-type guys he isn't enamored with for something more substantial. In this way he can use that ML player for the first half of the year and if we are out of the race he can then flip said player for close to the same value for a prospect or prospects he DOES want. It can be a worthwhile and semi-efficient method of turning your farm system over into prospects you believe in over ones you had previously.

• Like 1

totdprods    2,552
30 minutes ago, ettin said:

The interesting aspect of trading for a one-year stop gap Major Leaguer is that it can be an opportunity, depending on who the trade partner is, for Eppler to trade away any prospects he considers chaff or bubble-type guys he isn't enamored with for something more substantial. In this way he can use that ML player for the first half of the year and if we are out of the race he can then flip said player for close to the same value for a prospect or prospects he DOES want. It can be a worthwhile and semi-efficient method of turning your farm system over into prospects you believe in over ones you had previously.

^^^^
Kind of echoing this from another angle, I actually think this has been a big part of Eppler's plan the past two seasons, but extenuating circumstances have kept him from achieving it. And it may be a reason he does something differently this offseason. 

I think he's intentionally nabbed guys with expiring contracts with the intent of being able to sell them at the deadline as a quick-fix for the farm. He wasn't going to really get blue chip prospects, so he assigned his scouts to really dig deep on the guys like Jesus Castillo, Jefry Marte, Parker Bridwell and find young players who could make an impact similar to that of a prospect, and use expiring vets as trade bait to keep those ranks replenished while the rest of the farm caught up. 

Problem is, a lot of those expiring vets have either sucked, been injured, never drew interest, or were hurt by a bottomed out trade market.

Angelsjunky    3,746

The general approach has shades of moneyball. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I wonder if Maybin would have been traded at the deadline if he hadn't tanked AND gotten injured...of course if he had, we'd be bummed out considering they've been playing so well (do you think Eppler wishes he could have Hernandez back?)

Anyhow, given what we've seen so far, Eppler likes to fiddle with low-cost and low-risk moves, but also isn't afraid to pull the trigger on something more substantial IF it serves the team long-term (Simmons). I think he realizes that premium talent is best grown from within, and barring rare exceptions, free agency is best used for lower cost hole-fillers, as well as trading away chaff for potential clean peanuts.

A strong farm could lead to the type of situation we can hope to see over the next few years: surplus talent in the outfield that can be traded for premium talent at positions of need. 

• Like 1

Scotty@AW    3,088

Yeah, good to see Adell get that promotion.  I really want him to start next year in Burlington, v=because highs school players as good as he is go there.  But I just get this nagging feeling the Angels are going to hold him back in Rookie Ball an extra year.  They've grown into a middle of the road, maybe slightly conservative when it comes to promoting now, but even that philosophy would suggest Jo belongs in full season ball.

I think at the very least, we can say the Angels are using an individual plan for each prospect now, instead of the uniform promotion schedule crap we saw under Reagins and Dipoto. 

• Like 1

ettin    2,173
4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

The general approach has shades of moneyball. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I wonder if Maybin would have been traded at the deadline if he hadn't tanked AND gotten injured...of course if he had, we'd be bummed out considering they've been playing so well (do you think Eppler wishes he could have Hernandez back?)

Anyhow, given what we've seen so far, Eppler likes to fiddle with low-cost and low-risk moves, but also isn't afraid to pull the trigger on something more substantial IF it serves the team long-term (Simmons). I think he realizes that premium talent is best grown from within, and barring rare exceptions, free agency is best used for lower cost hole-fillers, as well as trading away chaff for potential clean peanuts.

A strong farm could lead to the type of situation we can hope to see over the next few years: surplus talent in the outfield that can be traded for premium talent at positions of need. 

Maybin could very well still be in play. If the Angels really do try to trade for Stanton, a third team, like the Nationals (yes I know they have been attached to Giancarlo too), might have interest in taking on Cameron in order to pay some of the prospect currency the Angels need to acquire Stanton.

In the trade deadline series it really seemed like the Nationals were a prime target for Maybin (although they seem to be getting good production out of their current mix of OF's) so it isn't as wild as it sounds. Washington, if they cannot have Giancarlo, would probably love for him to leave the N.L. East right now to increase their chances of holding their Division lead. Also the Nat's could use a lead-off type like Cameron more so than all of the power types they have on their roster right now.

There are certainly other teams that could use Maybin too so it doesn't have to be Washington either. The Angels have about $25M in AAV free right now (this is going off of memory I don't have access to my spreadsheet so I could be wrong) so they will need to find a home for Cameron's remaining salary methinks.

Edited by ettin

totdprods    2,552

Thursday, August 17th, 2017
Salt Lake (64-61) won 11-9 over Tacoma (61-64)
Eric Young, Jr: 3-5, R, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI, K
Michael Hermosillo: 0-4, BB, K, SB (4)
Carlos Perez: 3-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI, BB
David Fletcher: 2-5, R, 3 RBI
Nolan Fontana: 1-3, R, HR (10), RBI, BB
Adam Hofacket: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, BB, K

Mobile (56-65) lost 2-6 in 10 innings to Jacksonville (57-64)
Brennon Lund: 1-5, R, 2 K
Matt Thaiss: 2-4, 2B
Taylor Ward: 0-3, RBI
Jose Rojas: 2-4
Grayson Long: 6.2 IP, 5 H, ER, 6 K, 87 pitches, 60 strikes
Connor Lillis-White: IP, H, 3 ER, 2 BB, K

Inland Empire (59-65) won 4-2 vs. Lake Elsinore (57-67)
Jahmai Jones: 2-4, 2 R, K, SB (8), 20-game hitting streak
Jack Kruger: 1-4, 2B, E (3)
Jared Walsh: 1-4, 2B, 3 RBI, 2 K
Mike Kaelin: 2 IP, 2 K -- last 7 IP (3 G): 1 H, 0 BB, 8 K
Can anyone, aka @Scotty@AW , tell me more about...
Nate Bertness (3rd A+ GS): 5 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K - 6'6" left-handed starting pitcher, 22 years old, 16th Rd. pick in 2015
In his last 9 starts (6 at Burlington/3 at Inland Empire): 44.1 IP, 2.84 ERA, 9.3 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, 7.9 H/9 - seems to be handling Cal League well

Burlington (52-70) lost 0-8 to Cedar Rapids (64-59)
Jonah Todd: 1-4, K, OF assist
Leonardo Rivas: 0-2, 2 BB, K, E (3)
Chris Rodriguez (3rd A Start): 5 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, BB, 2 K

Orem (38-15) won 5-2 vs. Helena (20-33)
Torii Hunter: 2-5, 2 R, K
Brandon Marsh: 2-5, R, 2 RBI, K
Keinner Pina: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI - 20 year old catcher, slashing .295/.389/.331/.720 - 17 BB, 14 K, thrown out 47% (16 of 34)
Jordon Adell (Orem debut, hitting 6th, DH): 0-4, K
Matt McCann: 3-4, R, K, 2 SB (5)
James Ziemba: 3 IP, H, 2 BB, 3 K - 6'10" LHSP, first start. On the year, 21.2 IP, 2.49 ERA, .244 BAA, 1.38 WHIP, 11 BB, 21 K
Christopher Molina: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 K - on the year, 23.1 IP, 15 BB, 35 K between AZL/Orem
Isaac Mattson: 2.1 IP, 2 H, BB, 6 K - on the year, 23.1 IP, 9 BB, 34 K, 1.16 ERA, .159 BAA, 0.94 WHIP between AZL/Orem

AZL Angels (25-19) lost 1-9 to AZL Royals (19-23)
Jacob Pearson: 0-3, BB, K
Nonie Williams: 0-4, K
Jimmy Barnes: 2-4

DSL Angels (27-32) vs. DSL Yankees (25-36) postponed, rain

Inside Pitch    5,609
1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Mike Kaelin: 2 IP, 2 K -- last 7 IP (3 G): 1 H, 0 BB, 8 K
Can anyone, aka @Scotty@AW , tell me more about...

Kaelin was the closer at U of Buffalo posting K/9s over 11 and BB/9s under 2.5 in both his Jr and Sr years...   Undersized at 5'9" but he  works in the mid 90s...    K rate has improved pretty much as he's risen through the system -- may be a guy that's being taught how to pitch and not just throw...

totdprods    2,552
22 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Kaelin was the closer at U of Buffalo posting K/9s over 11 and BB/9s under 2.5 in both his Jr and Sr years...   Undersized at 5'9" but he  works in the mid 90s...    K rate has improved pretty much as he's risen through the system -- may be a guy that's being taught how to pitch and not just throw...

I'm a little familiar with Kaelin, was asking more about Nate Bertness. I can't find jack on him and have never seen him pitch, but a 6'6" 22 year old lefty who starts stringing together good starts seems like someone to start watching.

totdprods    2,552
11 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Jahmai is killing it in IE right now. Any chance he starts next year in AA?

I thought they'd be best letting him start at IE and bump him up at first sign next year of him being comfortable there (like, if he's .300 after the first week, send him up) but if he keeps hitting this hot to end the year, yeah, I think he has to go to AA. He's getting a little lucky though still - 7 walks and 29 strikeouts through 27 game isn't a sign that he's mastered plate recognition at A+ yet, and that may be reason to move him a little more conservatively.

Inside Pitch    5,609
23 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'm a little familiar with Kaelin, was asking more about Nate Bertness. I can't find jack on him and have never seen him pitch, but a 6'6" 22 year old lefty who starts stringing together good starts seems like someone to start watching.

MY bad -- I misunderstood the "...."  

I asked someone a while back about him, area scout for the Yanks..    Bertness was supposedly more known for basketball than baseball in HS -- the basketball seasons tended to cut into the spring so he didn't really get that much play time...   Apparently he performed well but he was said to have started fewer than 15 games in HS and didn't go to many of the showcases ... when he did, he didn't really make a name for himself - clocked out at like 82-84 MPH.    I don't think there is a player in the Angels system with less info about him.....   I do remember reading an article that said he had ZERO scholarship offers and ended up walking on to a Texas JC...

Edit:  The dude was 6-2 and 140 his Sr year of HS..    if he's at 6'6" now -- I doubt any of the info on him would even matter now...    Definitely someone to track and see how he develops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chuckster70    8,166

HELIUM WATCH

3004.png

Kody Eaves, 3B, Tigers (23) 
Double-A Erie (Eastern)

How big a week was it for Eaves? He had just 14 at-bats and still managed to gather 16 total bases. Eaves has always had the coveted power-speed combo, but his issues making contact had negated those tools somewhat. This year, he is cutting down on whiffs, still hitting for power and has posted a career-best .280 average.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-august-18/#ALv46Lz1AK5KbehO.99

eaterfan    909
6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

MY bad -- I misunderstood the "...."  

I asked someone a while back about him, area scout for the Yanks..    Bertness was supposedly more known for basketball than baseball in HS -- the basketball seasons tended to cut into the spring so he didn't really get that much play time...   Apparently he performed well but he was said to have started fewer than 15 games in HS and didn't go to many of the showcases ... when he did, he didn't really make a name for himself - clocked out at like 82-84 MPH.    I don't think there is a player in the Angels system with less info about him.....   I do remember reading an article that said he had ZERO scholarship offers and ended up walking on to a Texas JC...

Edit:  The dude was 6-2 and 140 his Sr year of HS..    if he's at 6'6" now -- I doubt any of the info on him would even matter now...    Definitely someone to track and see how he develops.

The dude was 6' 2" 140 lbs and then grew 4"? Hopefully there aren't any stiff gusts of wind.

Inside Pitch    5,609
36 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

The dude was 6' 2" 140 lbs and then grew 4"? Hopefully there aren't any stiff gusts of wind.

LOL -- supposedly he's up to 185...   But yeah..   talk about rail thin.

• Like 1

Angel Oracle    5,481
14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

LOL -- supposedly he's up to 185...   But yeah..   talk about rail thin.

Just like Andy Dufresne, a tall drink of water

• Like 2

Lou    9,751
50 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Just like Andy Dufresne, a tall drink of water

Nice