Sign in to follow this  
gotbeer

iPhone 8 news

67 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, red321 said:

I had been going back and forth, I was really leaning towards the 8plus anyways, the facial recognition wow factor just wasn't enough to make me want to spend the extra $200...so when I saw the delivery timeframe it made the choice pretty easy...if I keep bending my phone it's gonna snap.

The appeal of the X for me is that it has a larger screen than the 8+ but is about the same size as the 8.  Good for my Trump hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nate said:

The appeal of the X for me is that it has a larger screen than the 8+ but is about the same size as the 8.  Good for my Trump hands.

laugh...good point...though I did read the X screen can be a little funky because of how the front cameras are placed, so you aren't really getting the full width when in landscape mode

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, red321 said:

laugh...good point...though I did read the X screen can be a little funky because of how the front cameras are placed, so you aren't really getting the full width when in landscape mode

 

Yea, you can see in this image.  I am sure it will take some getting used to, although there is a letterbox option in the second image.  I think the camera in the X is supposed to be better than the 8+ also.

iphone-x-screen-watch-movie-got-issue-or

iphone-x-screen-watch-movie-got-issue-or

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

So @nate  What's the update on the X?  We need a review.

I like it a lot.  The smaller form factor is excellent, so much easier to hold and use with one hand.

The screen is awesome and the notch doesn't ever bother me.

I didn't have trouble at all adapting to the lack of a home button, but face ID takes some getting used to.  I always used touch ID before so it was just resting my thumb on the home button.  Now you have to lift the phone and look at it then swipe up.  It is less convenient but just a minor complaint.

Coming from an iPhone 6+, the speed difference is tremendous, everything loads super quickly and smoothly.  Also, the cameras are so much better.  Having a wide angle and telephoto lens is really awesome, being able to frame a picture without having to use digital zoom unless you are really zooming in.

Videos are cropped on the sides because the phone is greater than 16x9 aspect ratio so videos are a bit smaller than they would be on the plus line, but that doesn't bother me, especially because I don't watch much video and it is negligible.

With everything said, $1150 for a phone is a shit load of money and it doesn't necessarily feel that revolutionary.  In the end, it is still an iPhone, just with a edge to edge screen.  With my short fingers though, it is worth it.  I would have had a lot of trouble going to a smaller screen than the plus so this is a nice combination of both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tank said:

does the iphone X only come in one size (which i'm guessing is the + size)?

yeah.  5.8 inch screen, the phone itself is the size of the regular iphone 8, smaller than the plus but the edge to edge screen adds a lot more actual screen area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2017 at 5:04 PM, nate said:

I like it a lot.  The smaller form factor is excellent, so much easier to hold and use with one hand.

The screen is awesome and the notch doesn't ever bother me.

I didn't have trouble at all adapting to the lack of a home button, but face ID takes some getting used to.  I always used touch ID before so it was just resting my thumb on the home button.  Now you have to lift the phone and look at it then swipe up.  It is less convenient but just a minor complaint.

Coming from an iPhone 6+, the speed difference is tremendous, everything loads super quickly and smoothly.  Also, the cameras are so much better.  Having a wide angle and telephoto lens is really awesome, being able to frame a picture without having to use digital zoom unless you are really zooming in.

Videos are cropped on the sides because the phone is greater than 16x9 aspect ratio so videos are a bit smaller than they would be on the plus line, but that doesn't bother me, especially because I don't watch much video and it is negligible.

With everything said, $1150 for a phone is a shit load of money and it doesn't necessarily feel that revolutionary.  In the end, it is still an iPhone, just with a edge to edge screen.  With my short fingers though, it is worth it.  I would have had a lot of trouble going to a smaller screen than the plus so this is a nice combination of both.

I picked up the 8plus...I will say compared to the 6plus performance is night and day as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprised if it happens, they just use the X as a one time anniversary edition.  I think next year or at least very soon all iPhones will ditch the home button.

With that said, I wouldn't put much stock into iPhone rumors this early in the year, they are usually false.

edit: just read another update.  Says there will be the SE, some sort of normal iphone like they sell now, and two bezeless phones, one similar to the X and the other a larger version of the X.

Edited by nate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Everyone, my wife is in need of a new iPhone and we aren’t sure which one to get her.  We have ATT and she uses it for the usual FB, Email, all of the social media stuff.  Her last phone was a 7 Plus and she was fine with the size.  Any recommendations?  She wants to stick with iPhone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got an Xr, which I like, coming from the 6+. I do miss the finger print reader but the loss of the home button was a good thing overall. I think those are the two biggest considerations for me now two weeks into the new phone. My main goal was to get the cheapest new iPhone I could. If I had that cheeseburger money I probably would've got a Xs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 3:48 PM, Stradling said:

Hey Everyone, my wife is in need of a new iPhone and we aren’t sure which one to get her.  We have ATT and she uses it for the usual FB, Email, all of the social media stuff.  Her last phone was a 7 Plus and she was fine with the size.  Any recommendations?  She wants to stick with iPhone.  

Xr.  The XS and XS+ have a better screen and camera, but the screen and camera on the Xr are more than capable, so unless you want to spend a few hundred more for a minor improvement, the Xr is what you want.  My daughter has one and it is a very good phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • AngelsWin.com Ad-free Membership Options