gotbeer

Calolfornia

823 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Adam said:

We are all gonna miss Jerry Brown by Thursday

just taxing the crap out of us and giving our money away even more than brown did. this state blows.

10 hours ago, Tank said:

just taxing the crap out of us and giving our money away even more than brown did. this state blows.

Just a reminder:  Colorado is closed.  Maybe look to Utah or New Mexico if you're considering a relocation.

I'm thinking of starting a little side business just for the write offs. I wrote off so much crap when I did comedy. 

Self-Employed Annual Income - $1740

Expenses - $11,500

9 hours ago, Adam said:

The most important word for any individual American taxpayer, especially in California = ITEMIZE

Funny you should bring up itemize.  Next up on California's chopping block.  Making paper receipts illegal.  I wish I was joking on this.  But this was on the news today.  

59 minutes ago, Adam said:

So... making it illegal to pay cash for deductible things? My God

come on.  Think big picture.  Calolfornia will probably make deductibles illegal so they can pay their pensions.

On 1/7/2019 at 9:59 PM, Tank said:

You got a pension coming?

22 hours ago, yk9001 said:

You teach in private school?

18 hours ago, Tank said:

yes. we have a pension plan plus a 401k.

Did that address all of your questions?

I don't live in So Cal, so I'm sure I'm missing some of the finer details here.  Maybe you CA folks can help if I'm missing something.

• CA is a Dem haven
  • Los Angeles is a Dem haven
  • Both the state and the city are pro teachers and pro taxing the shit out of its residents
  • Yet, as much as they love them some teachers unions and as much as they collect an obscene amount of money from its residents, they're still (apparently) not paying the teachers enough money and now the teachers are on strike

Do I have that right, or am I missing some of the finer details?

6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I don't live in So Cal, so I'm sure I'm missing some of the finer details here.  Maybe you CA folks can help if I'm missing something.

• CA is a Dem haven
  • Both the state and the city are pro teachers and pro taxing the shit out of its residents
  • Yet, as much as they love them some teachers unions and as much as they collect an obscene amount of money from its residents, they're still (apparently) not paying the teachers enough money and now the teachers are on strike

Spot on.

BTW our public schools rank #37 according to Forbes. Guess who ranked dead last?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/reneemorad/2018/07/31/states-with-the-best-public-school-systems/#1d4391893897

Funny-New-Mexico-Memes-4.jpg

Edited by Lhalo

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

• CA is a Dem haven

yeah, you pretty much got it right.

teachers are asking for a pay raise but even more for reduced classroom sizes, more library services, and more school nurses (among other things). there are plenty of stories of overcrowded rooms (35+ and even up to 45 kids in a single elementary class), lack of supplies, and teachers needing to buy many supplies out of their own pockets instead of having them supplied (as they should be) by the school or district.

one of my masters classes was taught by an administrator in the riverside unified district. said every year they got money for new computers, but had received so much money that they didn't need or couldn't spend each year, but since it was specified funds, it couldn't be spent anywhere else. they needed new textbooks, chairs, desks, etc. but couldn't buy them. they had so many new computers that he said several of them just sat in their original boxes in a storage area because they didn't need them and had no room for them.

It's just too bad LAUSD can't say, sorry we can't afford that.  Impass, insolvency.  You are all fired.  

But to @Geoff's original question.  You bullet points are easier like this.

• State is controlled by Dems, who think if it's broke, spend a higher more obscene amount of money on it, and hope it get's better.