Sign in to follow this  
gotbeer

The Official 2017-2018 Anaheim Ducks Thread

465 posts in this topic

Kenny    505
On 8/16/2017 at 11:12 AM, nate said:

Oilers extended Draisitl, starting next year they are going to have no cap space.

Not sure I like that for them.  I wouldn't take that risk.  But I'm not an NHL GM.  Not many risks, I'd take to sign young guys.  I'm more of a prove it first, type of mind, and eight year deals don't work with that type of thinking.

mrwicked    2,339
1 hour ago, HaloCory22 said:

So for some reason the Ducks just signed Beauch to a 1 year 1 million deal with 500K in incentives.

i am assuming its just a stop gap. lindholm and vatanen wont be recovered from their surgeries for a few weeks into the season.

gotbeer    5,980
4 hours ago, HaloCory22 said:

So for some reason the Ducks just signed Beauch to a 1 year 1 million deal with 500K in incentives.

I don't get it either.  As @UndertheHalo said, would have rather given the minutes to Megna.  And with this signing, I even question the Holzer deal even more. 

• Like 1

UndertheHalo    1,176

I mean I get that it's not really a significant move payroll wise.  But still, that million could have been helpful come the spring.  

I mean can you imagine Beauchamim and Bieksa out together.  Holy shit.  Nightmare.  

This has been a really disappointing offseason. Apparently it was Marleau or bust.  So they obviously agree we need another top 6 forward but failed miserably in acquiring one.  So I guess we just burned a million bucks on busted ass Francois Beauchamim to "shore up" the D while Vatanen and Lindholm recover.  God help us if he ends up playing significant minutes. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

deepdrive    159

Murray is who he's always been and always will be - the dumpster dive king.

If there's one thing that will eventually do Murray in, it will be pissing away a million at a time on his stop gap/ this may work out real well deals instead of just putting the money/ prospects out for a top quality player.

He's kind of playing not to lose instead of gambling big to win.

The difference between a 3-4 million dollar player v. a 5-6 million dollar player could be huge for this team. So, if you piss away a million dollars twice...

• Like 1

UndertheHalo    1,176
23 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Murray is who he's always been and always will be - the dumpster dive king.

If there's one thing that will eventually do Murray in, it will be pissing away a million at a time on his stop gap/ this may work out real well deals instead of just putting the money/ prospects out for a top quality player.

He's kind of playing not to lose instead of gambling big to win.

The difference between a 3-4 million dollar player v. a 5-6 million dollar player could be huge for this team. So, if you piss away a million dollars twice...

Yea you summed it up pretty perfectly.  

nate    6,558

I mean that argument has nothing to do with this season.  There weren't even any forwards that would be a couple million more than Eaves without giving twice as many years.

This was just 1 mil of cap they had to fill in the D corps.  You guys way over value the farm, Megna is nothing and Beauch is at least insurance.

The biggest problem is all the $ already locked up in Getz/Perry/Kes/Lindholm/Rakell.  They will need to pay to keep Silf in a couple years and maybe Cogs.  Plus Ritchie, Montour, etc.

UndertheHalo    1,176

Is he though ? Beauch was getting smoked when we had him 4 years ago.  He's worse now.  The Avalanche, whose D is horrible bought him out cause he's worthless even to them.  I mean we complain about Bieksa, from what I've seen of Beauchmin he's even worse.  I sincerely doubt a guy like Megna gives us less then a guy like Beachumin. 

As far as the offseason.  FA in the NHL is always slim pickings.  I think most of us hoped there would be a trade which very easily could have included a prospect(s). I have no problem trading prospects.  We could have made the Drouin trade happen, Murray was unwilling to roll the dice on it.  Somehow Duchene still hasn't been traded.  Maybe that will happen yet, but giving up 1 million of salary to Francois Beauchumin hampers our efforts at it. 

nate    6,558

I think the Drouin trade was just about what was available, the Ducks didn't have what it took, especially because of the exp draft.  With that said, fuck Manson, I would have given him up to keep Theo and I think Theo was terrible this year.

Edited by nate

deepdrive    159
4 hours ago, nate said:

I mean that argument has nothing to do with this season.  There weren't even any forwards that would be a couple million more than Eaves without giving twice as many years.

This was just 1 mil of cap they had to fill in the D corps.  You guys way over value the farm, Megna is nothing and Beauch is at least insurance.

The biggest problem is all the $ already locked up in Getz/Perry/Kes/Lindholm/Rakell.  They will need to pay to keep Silf in a couple years and maybe Cogs.  Plus Ritchie, Montour, etc.

It's not just about this season. But it does include this season.

You and the rest of us have little idea what is available. Most sportswriters columns are made up of a little bit of info (and sometimes not very good info) and a lot of speculation. Better GM's often make deals with/for players no one thought were available.

It's not that Murray dumpster dived this year and didn't put together a trade that brought a better quality player here. It's the pattern that's developed during his tenure as GM.

He's been GM what ten tears now? Look at the total body of work and see the patterns in it.

nate    6,558

Every team dumpster dives to fill out their roster, otherwise they would have too many players committed for multiple years and would get screwed by the cap.

They also have been one of the best teams in the NHL the last 10 years.

deepdrive    159

Your not getting the point I'm trying to make.

Saying every team dumpster dives is like saying everyone drinks. Some do it too much because they can't stop themselves and it becomes a problem. 

But, that's still not the point. Murray's problem is he does it as a panacea in place of being able to do what good GM's do - make quality deals happen that bring top quality players to your team. A better GM will be able to do this probably every 2-4 years. 

Murray's had ten years. In that time he's shown he doesn't have the ability to do this. The guy is basically an excellent Asst. GM (Now... what job did Murray have when we won the Cup?)

I know this sounds a little harsh because you're right that we have been one of the better hockey teams for about 7-8 years. But this just makes my point even stronger. 7-8 years of being one of the better NHL teams and not one Cup appearance. Maybe this flaw in his abilities is creating a ceiling for this team?