John Smith

Andrew Heaney will pitch tonight (+ other injured)

237 posts in this topic

Well put your surgically repaired arm in mine

How many starts does he need, assuming no setbacks, before he can return? 8-10?

2 minutes ago, wopphil said:

How many starts does he need, assuming no setbacks, before he can return? 8-10?

I'd guess four to five starts, building pitches 15 or 20 more each time out.  Like a typical spring training schedule. 

It'd be a nice change of pace if Heaney remained on a consistent schedule and was able to make a couple starts, or at least pen appearances, later in the season. It'd sure offer some peace of mind for the '18 rotation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Question:

How many tendons can one team go through? Is there a maximum # at the used tendon factory?

If anything happens, I made arrangements to donate mine to the Halo pitching staff tendon bank.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Question:

How many tendons can one team go through? Is there a maximum # at the used tendon factory?

Just now, Homebrewer said:

If anything happens, I made arrangements to donate mine to the Halo pitching staff tendon bank.

Maybe, we should schedule a Angelswin.com Tendon Drive?

38 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Question:

The good news is the Angels are one punch away on their card from a free tendon.

• Like 9

this thread has everything!

I'd like to see Heaney pitch out of the pen the rest of this year to build up strength.  

Sometimes I forget how good Richards was in 2014 and the potential that Heaney and Skaggs have

• Like 2

It's crazy to think that our 2018 rotation could be Richards, Shoemaker, Heaney, Skaggs, and Tropeano. If these guys all get and stay healthy we are going to have to make quite a few roster decisions.

But four of those five will need to control innings pitched in 2018.   If ALL goes well, MAYBE by 2019 they can all pitch at least 180-190 innings. 

Seeing that this is essentially like a first ST start, Heaney may be ready as early as around August 20.

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Seeing that this is essentially like a first ST start, Heaney may be ready as early as around August 20.

yep. mid-august is fine, and there's no need to rush him up here any sooner than that.

57 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

But four of those five will need to control innings pitched in 2018.   If ALL goes well, MAYBE by 2019 they can all pitch at least 180-190 innings. 

So if all goes well we have a nice 6 man staff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I'd like to see Heaney pitch out of the pen the rest of this year to build up strength.  

Sometimes I forget how good Richards was in 2014 and the potential that Heaney and Skaggs have

Why have him pitch out of the pen? Unless the Angels are in serious contention for a playoff spot, let him act like it's spring training.  Have him go a few innings every 5 to 6 days, have him build up strength as a starter rather than have him do something he's never done on a regular basis. Quick warmups in high leverage situations every other day. 

It's important to remember that just about everyone sucks when they first get back from Tommy John surgery - something about losing feel for your pitches and tingling in your fingertips. He can probably be ready by mid August, but don't expect him to have much success until next season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glen said:

The good news is the Angels are one punch away on their card from a free tendon.

If you had attached a Kate Upton booby pic to this it would have been the most perfect post in the history of AW.com! :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The potential return of Heaney, Street, and possibly Bailey makes the sell-off of Norris, Hernandez, and Petit more likely. You are correct pitching out of the bullpen would probably be best for him (could be wrong probably) considering he will be on a careful pitch count (and we'd need the bullpen help perhaps more at that point, although I could be wrong about that too).

What's the latest news on Tropeano? @Jeff Fletcher, got anything? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ettin said:

The potential return of Heaney, Street, and possibly Bailey makes the sell-off of Norris, Hernandez, and Petit more likely. You are correct pitching out of the bullpen would probably be best for him (could be wrong probably) considering he will be on a careful pitch count (and we'd need the bullpen help perhaps more at that point, although I could be wrong about that too).

it depresses me that you included heaney in with bailey and street.  

• Like 1