John Smith

Andrew Heaney will pitch tonight (+ other injured)

237 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, zenmaster said:

It's crazy to think that our 2018 rotation could be Richards, Shoemaker, Heaney, Skaggs, and Tropeano. If these guys all get and stay healthy we are going to have to make quite a few roster decisions.

By crazy do you mean having 4 prospects and 1 decent MLB pitcher making up a rotation?

On 7/14/2017 at 9:32 AM, zenmaster said:

It's crazy to think that our 2018 rotation could be Richards, Shoemaker, Heaney, Skaggs, and Tropeano. If these guys all get and stay healthy we are going to have to make quite a few roster decisions.

Decisions? Dumping most of the current rotation would be a good thing 

2 hours ago, John Smith said:

Andrew Bailey pitching tonite for AZL Angels

Isn't it amazing how all of our injured pitchers are on the way back to the Majors just in time to replace the players we are about to trade away? Uncanny. :D

• Like 1

None of them are gonna beat out Bridwell or Ramirez for spots

22 minutes ago, nando714 said:

None of them are gonna beat out Bridwell or Ramirez for spots

Nolasco, Chavez, Ramirez, Bridwell, ????

Meyer is in the minors, so no one has a hold of the 5th spot at the moment. They need another starter on July 29. That could be Meyer but then by the next turn Skaggs could be ready. 

18 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Nolasco, Chavez, Ramirez, Bridwell, ????

Meyer is in the minors, so no one has a hold of the 5th spot at the moment. They need another starter on July 29. That could be Meyer but then by the next turn Skaggs could be ready. 

I meant more long term. 

Lets say everyone returns who's supposed to

Richards (arb)

Skaggs

Shoemaker

Tropeano

Bridwell

Ramirez 

Heaney

who would be odd guys out? Skaggs? Shoe? 

24 minutes ago, nando714 said:

I meant more long term. 

Lets say everyone returns who's supposed to

Richards (arb)

Skaggs

Shoemaker

Tropeano

Bridwell

Ramirez 

Heaney

who would be odd guys out? Skaggs? Shoe? 

You forgot Meyer. 

And it's obviously impossible to know who will be in since there are so many health questions. 

Nate Smith must have had another set back. Last pitched on July 4th. This after pitching three games rehabbing in Arizona.

We could have Skaggs and Heaney back by mid August. With Bridwell pitching well, we could have Bridwell, Meyer, Skaggs, Heaney, Ramirez, Chavez, Nolasco, and maybe Shoemaker by August. Throw in  Richards and Tropeano preparing to return next spring. We should be able to put together a decent rotation out of that

9 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

We could have Skaggs and Heaney back by mid August. With Bridwell pitching well, we could have Bridwell, Meyer, Skaggs, Heaney, Ramirez, Chavez, Nolasco, and maybe Shoemaker by August. Throw in  Richards and Tropeano preparing to return next spring. We should be able to put together a decent rotation out of that

I remember saying the exact same thing, with a couple different names, last offseason. 

Not trying to stir up the nest, just sayin'

• Like 4

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I remember saying the exact same thing, with a couple different names, last offseason. 

Not trying to stir up the nest, just sayin'

Hopefully next year turns out differently. I have to believe it will, or I will have to take up knitting.

• Like 1

This is tough. cuz like...this team literally has like 10 competent starters, and appears to be shopping for another. at a certain point you have to say, screw it. we are going to behave as if our injuries will eventually get better, otherwise it doesn't really matter what we do, we're screwed.

Time to convert Shoe to being a key late innings reliever?   The splitter can supposedly mess up an elbow, if thrown too many times.    How many MLB starters throw as many splitters as he does? 

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Time to convert Shoe to being a key late innings reliever?   The splitter can supposedly mess up an elbow, if thrown too many times.    How many MLB starters throw as many splitters as he does? 

I think we'll see someone from our SP batch convert over within the next year.