totdprods

Official 2017 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

296 posts in this topic

jsnpritchett    1,504
6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Plus won't Cain command 5 years/$100 million?    With several key OF prospects at different levels, do they really want to commit that much money for a FA OFer?   Corner INF and middle rotation pitching should be the main focus for FA signings. 

Probably.  And my guess is that by 2019 at the absolute latest, people will be wondering why he got a deal at that level.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Kinsler is having his worst year ever, just turned 35, and is owed $12M next year (EDIT: ...if his option is picked up, that is.  His buyout is a pretty hefty $5M, too).  Castellanos is below average defensively, and has only had one year of above average offense.  Not sure how either one really solves any problems.  I don't think either one is a difference-maker this year, if you're talking about making a push for the second wild card (which I still think is a bad idea).

While Kinsler is having a down year, a .700+ ops is something we could really use at 2B and we wouldn't have to give up much with Detroit cutting costs. Castellanos is a young, cost controlled 3B that would bring some stability to the position for years to come. I think with Simmons at SS we can continue to get away with not having elite defense at 3B. 

As far as Cain goes, any free agent we pick up will cost major dollars. I feel like Cain has been pretty consistent with getting on base and we need people on base when Trout gets to the plate. I'd rather overpay for Cain and have a consistently good defensive outfield than continue to run a new player out in LF every year and hope for the best. 

The key is getting better without depleting our farm system to where it was a couple years ago. 

Lou    9,811

Kinsler has 10 teams on his no-trade list. I know the Dodgers are one of them. Wouldn't be a stretch to think we are,too. 

He has stated that he will only waive the no-trade clause if the team signs him to an extension first. 

Edited by Lou
  • Like 1

Troll Daddy    2,851
25 minutes ago, Lou said:

Kinsler has 10 teams on his no-trade list. I know the Dodgers are one of them. Wouldn't be a stretch to think we are,too. 

He has stated that he will only waive the no-trade clause if the team signs him to an extension first. 

I have no problem with a modest extension 

Lou    9,811
1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

I have no problem with a modest extension 

Yeah, I'm sure that's what Kinsler wants to waive the clause, a modest extension. 

• Like 4

Claude    5,088
35 minutes ago, Lou said:

If he waived his no-trade for us based only on signing an extension.....we don't want him. 

• Like 2

Lou    9,811
5 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

If he waived his no-trade for us based only on signing an extension.....we don't want him. 

That's the only reason he would waive it for any team 

Claude    5,088
8 minutes ago, Lou said:

That's the only reason he would waive it for any team 

Then waive bye-bye to him.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2017 at 10:18 AM, nando714 said:

Nats can try all they want

no one is gonna beat LA in the NL playoffs

Yeah, the dogs look pretty amazing right now. They finally have a bullpen. 

I wouldnt write the nats off just yet though. If they fix their pen its pretty close. And the cubs can still come around and make it interesting.

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Yeah, I'm sure that's what Kinsler wants to waive the clause, a modest extension. 

Im gonna replace my "sorry, its cold in here" with "hey, its a modest extension" as my go to excuse.

• Like 4

jsnpritchett    1,504
9 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Prospects galore....

I'm not familiar w/ any of them.  Doesn't look like any are top 100 prospects.  2 of the 3 are very, very young.

tdawg87    13,071
5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm not familiar w/ any of them.  Doesn't look like any are top 100 prospects.  2 of the 3 are very, very young.

Arizona has a worse system than we do so yeah.

floplag    608
6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Arizona has a worse system than we do so yeah.

If this is true, it sets an intriguing precedent we should jump on before the costs go up.  

totdprods    2,580

I'm not entirely surprised the return is light. 
I read one article yesterday, either by a national writer or Texas writer, who said that Texas was unlikely to trade Darvish because they did not think they would get a top prospect for him. Yes - the Rangers don't think they'll get a top prospect for Yu Darvish, one of the closest 'ace' types out there, because he's a rental.

Martinez is also a rental.

Recent trades this offseason and current season are showing that control is becoming extremely valuable, and those types of players are now generating the elite prospect returns. This really puts a dent on the value of our guys like Maybin, Norris, Escobar. Clubs simply aren't interested in surrendering prospects anymore unless it's for control.

• Like 1

tdawg87    13,071

I'm guessing no one wanted Martinez because that's a pretty awful trade for Detroit.

• Like 1

Chuckster70    8,289
36 minutes ago, Scott34 said:

That's quite a good deal for Arizona. 

Oh hey, @Scott34. It has been a while. 

How have you been? Hope life is treating you well. 

Stradling    11,472
22 minutes ago, floplag said:

If this is true, it sets an intriguing precedent we should jump on before the costs go up.  

He is a rental.  The only way I am giving up 3 prospects from our organization, 2 being in our top 30, would be for a guy that will be here in the following season or two.