Sign in to follow this  
calscuf

Edgar Martinez

11 posts in this topic

calscuf    6,036

I was at the game and it was Edgar Martinez' number retiring night.  It got me thinking about Edgar.  

He's not in the HOF and looking at his stats and WAR in particular, he more than deserves to be there.  I suppose he takes a hit because he was a DH, but man was he a fantastic hitter.

What do you guys think?

JustATroutFan    227

And one other impressive thing about Edgar was that he didn't strikeout a lot. Most powers hitters do go down on strikes a lot but he was one of the few who could put the ball in play. And did it without steroids.......unlike some people fans know of.

Dochalo    10,644

too bad he got going so late.  He was 27 before he got a full seasons worth of at bats.  His stretch of age 32-38 was incredible.  .329 avg with a 1.020 ops.  

John Taylor    202

I was also at the game, some onions might have been cut there. One of the best quotes that explains Edgar was the fact that he was beloved by all MLB fans, and not just Seattle fans, and that is very true. I fucking hated the 95 Mariners, but always liked Edgar. I think he belongs in the HoF.

m0nkey    1,397

Can someone explain why he had a negative dWAR on baseball reference of about -1.0 every year 95-04, even though he pretty much never played the field? His WAR is pretty much his oWAR during the time, yet it says he was a -1.0 dWAR during that time span

Jeff Fletcher    1,518

I can see both sides. The the first four or five years he was on the ballot, I didn't vote for him. Last year I finally changed my mind and did. 

My case against him... (and bear in mind, "against" shouldn't be a negative; it means you're in the top 2 percent but not top 1 percent)

If he hadn't been a DH, we wouldn't be talking about him. His offensive numbers all went up once he stopped having to deal with the demands of playing the field, which his body couldn't handle. If you're only going to play one side, you should have more good years (like Frank Thomas).

Eventually, I came around because I realized that he still a lot of ABs. Not as many as some guys, but a lot. And he hit the magic 300/400/500 for his career, which is HOF-worthy. 

I don't think either side is right or wrong on him. 

• Like 2

Dave Saltzer    582

I too believe that he should be in the HoF and should be the first hitter to truly break the mold to do so as a DH. The AL is different than the NL. The DH is here and is very unlikely to go away. If someone can post the numbers that Edgar did and make such a contribution to his team, I believe he should be included.