Sign in to follow this  
gotbeer

Camping and Hiking Thread

134 posts in this topic

So anyone out there Hike or Camp often?  I've been hiking for about 2 months now.  Me and a buddy go out to East Fork in the San Gabriel Mountains to pan for gold.  Typically, we go about 2.5-4 miles up the trail, carrying from 20-60 lbs, depending on if we camp overnight or just do a daytrip to gold hunt.  It's not that high in elevation, 1,900-2,900 feet if we go all the way to the Bridge of Nowhere. 

And I've got to say, I'm kind of hooked on it.  The gold hunt is just recreational, we find a small amount each time.  But since I've started hiking, I've lost 10 lbs, and have been getting better and better at the hiking aspect.

This next trip is going to be a challenge though.   Probably carrying at least 20-30 lbs, 15 of that in just water.  Elevation change of  2675 ft, to a high point of 4650 ft for a round trip of about 12 miles.  And it'll be my first hike on a trail rated as hard. 

2 hours ago, calscuf said:

I've read so many stories about Asians getting lost while hiking I'd be really careful.

You know what a gut check is?  When like a 70 year old Asian passes you up on the trail.  And it's happened more than once.

But yeah, this next hike is going to be interesting in that the last 1/4 of the hike will be on an unmaintained trail. 

2 hours ago, calscuf said:

I'm impressed you actually found that article.  And that's not me. 

Ok maybe it is.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

The Eastern Sierras are pretty awesome for both hiking and camping. The elevations are high so being in shape is really helpful

Yeah, I want to keep doing these types of hikes.  My next step down the line will be Mt. Gorgornio at 11k feet.

22 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Yeah, I want to keep doing these types of hikes.  My next step down the line will be Mt. Gorgornio at 11k feet.

I got lost on that mountain about 20 years ago. That was prior to the GPS days.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

I got lost on that mountain about 20 years ago. That was prior to the GPS days.

Any particular apps you use?  I'm going to try alltrails and komroot for this next trip.  Been using google maps previously since it was a pretty straight forward trail.

47 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Any particular apps you use?  I'm going to try alltrails and komroot for this next trip.  Been using google maps previously since it was a pretty straight forward trail.

No. I've always used topographical maps when I have gone. I don't go that often anymore

3 hours ago, Taylor said:

Pssh, Californians talking about elevation. I sleep at 6,400 feet every night. When we go hiking, it's at around 7,000 feet.

Freaking low lander. I got two hundred feet on you at my house.

I live in the mountains above San Bernardino and love to camp and hike, though I don't particularly enjoy carrying a big pack, more enjoy long day hikes and car camping.  The hiking in my near vicinity isn't great, but Keller Peak near Running Springs is pretty good, as is Deep Creek because you can go swimming and dive off the rocks and go to the hot springs.  Not a lot of shade on the hiking trails because the desert influence takes over pretty quick as you move north of the crest.  There's a lot more alpine hikes over by Big Bear and Gorgonio.  My favorite areas are Eastern Sierras, Whitney up to Bishop and Mammoth.  Recently went camping up near the Sonora Pass and that was pretty special.  California is amazing.

Luckily, I live within striking distance of Big Sur and a lot of my day hikes are around there. Lots of varied terrain up that way, with some killer canyon, ridgetop, and redwood hikes. Weather is always cool and breezy, which obviously is perfect. Only downside is the abundance of poison oak, which sometimes completely overgrows trails.  

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I hike Mt. Wilson a lot. It's really nice coming up from Chantry Flats. It can get pretty long though, 15-20 miles round trip depending on which trails you take.

Looking it up, do you go via the Santa Anita river?   Sturtevant Falls Trails looks interesting.  My friend thinks there is a good amount of gold in the SA river.  The Mt Wilson trail does look interesting though. 

Not sure its the Santa Anita river... though Chantry is located at the top of Santa Anita Blvd and there is a lot of water in the area... Actually thinking about it, one of the trails (not one up Santa Anita blvd) has a rather large dry river bed, which started flowing again this year, so perhaps. The Sturtevant trail is really nice... excellent summer hike since most of it is tree covered.

8 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I hike Mt. Wilson a lot. It's really nice coming up from Chantry Flats. It can get pretty long though, 15-20 miles round trip depending on which trails you take.

I've never done the entire hike up to Mt Wilson, but I've gone to orchard park a few times.   I think that's what it's called, about 4 miles up and back.  For a beginner hiker it's certainly a challenge. 

On 9/14/2017 at 4:39 PM, gotbeer said:

You know what a gut check is?  When like a 70 year old Asian passes you up on the trail.  And it's happened more than once.

But yeah, this next hike is going to be interesting in that the last 1/4 of the hike will be on an unmaintained trail. 

I know that guy and he had bladder removal last January. While I thought I was doing ok the first month walking around the block on flat ground, he was dissapointed he was getting winded on his three mile morning hike up in the hills behind Alta Dena.