Sign in to follow this  
gotbeer

Camping and Hiking Thread

141 posts in this topic

Doing an easy hike this weekend to San Gabriel Peak.  My buddy says that the view is pretty good from up there.  I bought a knockoff Go Pro, and am going to try and record the entire hike.  Hopefully it'll come out well.  But we'll see, it's going to be my motivating factor to film these hikes now.  

Also, I did something to my knee on my last hike.  About 3.5 miles with 30 lbs, and get this.   I did it not while hiking, not while prospecting, but trying to lie down on a blanket.  /sigh.  Anyways, not bad enough to prevent me from hiking.  But I'm going to do two easy weekends of hiking, one to San Gabriel Peak and next week to Bridge of Nowhere, and a detour on the way back to Devil Gulch falls and, we heard there is a mine in the area, so may try to find that.  If any of you fools are interested, pm me.  

Oh, and I got a real boost to my ego the other day.  One of the avid hikers/explorers on this facebook group I belong to tried to get to Allison Mine.  And he couldn't find it.  Being a total amateur that shouldn't be on expert trails, I really got a kick out of doing something that others couldn't.  

@gotbeer Used to hike the Upper Bear Creek trail from 39 over Smith Saddle into Bear Creek. Used to be able to access a lot of real wilderness out that way...I imagine you still can. Probably more trails now then there was back then?

31 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

@gotbeer Used to hike the Upper Bear Creek trail from 39 over Smith Saddle into Bear Creek. Used to be able to access a lot of real wilderness out that way...I imagine you still can. Probably more trails now then there was back then?

Looking at Alltrails.  That one looks interesting.  Almost worth it to park a car in the exit of bear creek, since it looks like there is a truck trail there.  Oddly no reviews, so it might not be traveled much.  Smith saddle/peak looks interesting.  What are the views from there?

9 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Looking at Alltrails.  That one looks interesting.  Almost worth it to park a car in the exit of bear creek, since it looks like there is a truck trail there.  Oddly no reviews, so it might not be traveled much.  Smith saddle/peak looks interesting.  What are the views from there?

I've done that...took 2 cars, parked a car below at the river and done it as a loop...camping a night or 2 (or 3 or 4) at upper Bear. That route is an overnighter at least. Good views from the summit but there is sometimes snow up there making the going tough..not sure about doing it in winter.

There were seldom any other people on the Smith trail. The climb up and over Smith is pretty steep, so doing it as a loop makes it quite a bit easier, all down hill from the summit. Unless the trails are better now, going down Bear Creek involved quite a bit of rock hopping and creek crossing in the higher portions. Worth it though...really nice for So Cal.. 

Did my highest peak so far.  Man, I was winded from the elevation.  Not exhausted like Allison Mine or Heaton Saddle.  But my body was just tired.  And compared to those two hikes, this wasn't that bad.  Might be hitting a wall, but I just don't want to take a week off.  But what a view from the top.  A bit of high clouds, lots of winds.  But you could see for a while, with a hazy Catalina far in the distance.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6oTIJ4bteivaKoEO2

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

by definition 'private' videos are private... Change the status to 'unlisted.'

@Redondo @Tank Ok, changed it.  

https://youtu.be/MsY2nxcs3aU

And as an FYI.  I tried to run the thing all the way up, but ran out of juice 20 minutes in.  So then realized just short shots was probably the way to go.  Also the size of that one file was quite large, 3.8 gb.  So editing was quite painful since I'm using a cheap app and my chromebook.

Edited by gotbeer

Here are some ruins we found a few weeks back.  They are supposedly of the San Gabriel Mining Company who were around in the early 1900's.  

Hopefully will have one of the mines next week.  I tried taking a video of the mines during this trip, but the light wasn't strong enough.  So I'm going from a 120 lumens headlamp to a 6000 lumens headlamp and hoping the video comes out.  

Here is the latest one.  Heaton mine.  It's a little known mine, yet it's right next to the trail near the trailhead to Bridge to Nowhere.  It's so close that if anyone is interested in checking it out, you can easily get to, even if you are a cripple like Chuck.

1 hour ago, calscuf said:

Now your exploring mines?  Insanity.

Going to another one next week.  This one, you can see the mill on google maps.  Just keep following the trail down from where the pin is on the trail.

Edited by gotbeer