Sign in to follow this  
gotbeer

Camping and Hiking Thread

134 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, calscuf said:

We’ve been over this but do you not see all the news stories about Asians getting lost in the woods and shit around LA?  And now you’re going into mines?

Youre playing with fire.

I'm going camping in March too.  Where we will probably explore more mines.

2 hours ago, calscuf said:

Look if there are two things I know about Asian Americans, it’s that they love to leave reviews on yelp and they get lost hiking.  

I’m not going to be part of the AW search party if something happens.

We take plenty of alcohol.  So if I get lost, the AW search party will have incentive to find me, or at least to find the booze.  Ah crap.  Now someone is going to steal my booze.

Funny story one of the prospectors that spend a lot of time on the river told me.  He told me bears are assholes.  He said he spent a day away from his tent.  Like how you are supposed to do it, he put his food away from camp high up.  Well, apparently, bears like toothpaste also.  So the bear was looking for food around his tent, and couldn't find it.  But the bear did find his toothbrush.  So the bear left him a present.  He crapped in the middle of his camp, with the toothbrush sticking out of the middle of it.

2 hours ago, calscuf said:

Look if there are two things I know about Asian Americans, it’s that they love to leave reviews on yelp and they get lost hiking.  

I’m not going to be part of the AW search party if something happens.

It will be easy to find him, just follow the empties. 

906119381.jpg

21 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

He told me bears are assholes. 

One of my good friends was attacked by a grisly.  It fucked him up pretty bad.  These days you can’t even say the word “bear” around him.

So need some advice from those that have camped.  It's supposed to rain the days I go on my next camp.  Should I take a tarp to put over my tent so the rain for sure doesn't get in?  Should i take a second tarp for under the tent?  

45 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

So need some advice from those that have camped.  It's supposed to rain the days I go on my next camp.  Should I take a tarp to put over my tent so the rain for sure doesn't get in?  Should i take a second tarp for under the tent?  

If your tent is decently waterproof (if it isn't it's not worth having) take a groundcloth. The key is to dig a trench around the outside edge to guide water away from you. Doesn't need to be deep, just well engendered.

11 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Camping in the rain is great. I have done it many times. The sound of rain on a tent is about as relaxing as it gets, I use it as a sleep sound on my Alexa.

The best was 2 days in a downpour in Olympic National Park with a super cute blonde girl in a really small two person backpacking tent.

Its really about where you build out camp. Look for water flow and potential water flow. Make sure you have a good tent with a full rain fly. A ground tarp is nice. If you have the space and trees, you can fly a tarp over your tent as extra protection depending on wind.

Your down sleeping bag won't stay warm if it gets wet, but a synthetic will do better, so plan accordingly.

If it is a big rain, get out and check your surroundings every once in a while. Be lighting prepared.

We spent a scary evening in the Yosemite backcountry during a downpour and lightning storm...there was no relaxation in the rain for sure. This wasn't lightening and then count a few seconds for the thunder but hair standing up, simultaneous lightning and thunder. Long 60 or so minutes. 

When I did the big sur hike I mentioned here (sykes hot springs, which is actually closed currently) it started to rain the middle of the night. Since you're camping just meters from the river, in flood plane area, you gotta keep tabs on that. I put a handful of sticks out from the river distanced one meter apart. I would wake up every 10-15 mins and check. If the river started touching the sticks, the plan was to bolt.

Well it touched them, and within 15 mins we were packed and heading out of that canyon. Didn't take long for that sh*t to get nasty, we watched from the ridge.

People have needed to be airlifted away. Camping in the rain is fun as long as you stay frosty. 

biehn-copy-840x420.jpg

years and years ago we were camping up near Lake Piru...found a fantastic spot right near the creek

Started to pour during the night and it turns out we had pitched the tent in the exact path where water drained into the creek...small river running right through the tent. 2 of us say fuck it and head to the car while the other 2 are calling us wimps and pansies...30 minutes later they are knocking on the car window, begging us to let them in the car. After a few minutes of suffering we let them in the car and watch as a small street half a foot deep is running through the campground and the tent is about ready to be swept away.

We grab our things and decide to leave...car is stuck in the mud. I'm driving, so everyone else jumps out to push the car out of the mud...car won't budget and they are sliding all over. After a few minutes I look down and realize I had the parking break on. Still took another 30 seconds or so as I slowly released the break...

On 3/15/2018 at 10:42 AM, gotbeer said:

So I guess that was poison oak.........sigh

Oh, and the advice on the tents worked.  Inside of the tent was dry even when it was raining like crazy outside.  

Unfotunately I'm an expert on that shit too. Hard to tell what is is in the winter when it's leafless sometimes..

Go to Rite Aid and get some tecnu (it's a liquid soap) wash yourself well ( and your clothes) with it. Best stuff on the market...if you can't find it ask the pharmacy

Dont scratch it.

So went hiking in Santa Anita Canyon this weekend.   All I can say is what a shit show.  Went around 9 am, and that was a mistake.  So many clueless people out there.  My favorites, were on a two lane road, one on each side, with cars parked on each side, people decide to walk on both sides of the road, 2-3 wide.  The other was the car going 5 mph down the hill, because they were looking for a parking space.  Stopping at every hiker asking them if they were leaving, and not letting anyone pass them.  Just all kinds of special there.

I'm actually glad we couldn't find a parking spot.  Because all those people there would have made me quite a bit more irritated.

We went back around 4:30, and they all left, and it was so much more enjoyable without the crowd.  

One thing that did dawn on me.  Is while I watching the few people there cross a stream.  I just thought, man, I used to be like that.  

Oh, and went to the East Fork to our camp on Saturday.  Man the river was alive.  Usually you can find rocks and trees to cross the river.  And even then, at most the river is ankle deep.  Not this weekend.  First two crossings, river was up to the knees and moving pretty well.  The sand bar, we usually walk on in the river was also covered up.  The next two crossings, further up the river I heard was waist deep.  Best was getting there early, and seeing a group rush out once there was light out.  Only to find them coming back as we were headed out with stink faces, because they couldn't cross the river.  

Went on a 3 day camp this weekend.  Other than dropping a rock on my foot, and pouring boiling water on my hand.  Was a fun animal filled weekend.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kW8AqnlR5iFMaZg63

Woodhouse Toad maybe?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ubRuy1FqnJLC7W3i2

California Treefrog

And the awesome find.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AsEBBzJJE8117Ldk2

California Mountain Kingsnake

Oh, and downloaded an app called iNaturalist.  It's helping in the identifying process.

So I'm hearing that the terrorist organization known as the Sierra Club and the US FS made a back room deal that will make gold prospecting and camping in the San Gabriels off limits, and also limit the number of people visiting.  This I guess includes the east and west forks of the San Gabriel River and Santa Anita Canyon.  I'm sure this will go over well.  They are going to have to drag a bunch of people off the mountain, and they better get ready for a Bundy situation.