Sign in to follow this  
gotbeer

Camping and Hiking Thread

134 posts in this topic

This one was before the 3 peaks.  But I finally got the video done.  This one was terrifying for me, since I'm totally terrified of heights.  There were two class 3 rock scrambles.  Pretty much with death a few feet away.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is definitely something wrong with me.  Went on another long hike.  This was 3 miles up the river.  Then 1 mile of rock hopping up a gulch.  Then about 2000 up the side of a mountain.  Surprisingly, I felt good when we got to the mines.  The first time I did it at the beginning of the year, I was totally spent by the time I got to the mines, and didn't have the strength to explore at all.  So I must be getting better at torturing myself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gotbeer said:

There is definitely something wrong with me.  Went on another long hike.  This was 3 miles up the river.  Then 1 mile of rock hopping up a gulch.  Then about 2000 up the side of a mountain.  Surprisingly, I felt good when we got to the mines.  The first time I did it at the beginning of the year, I was totally spent by the time I got to the mines, and didn't have the strength to explore at all.  So I must be getting better at torturing myself.

i'm not much of a hiker so here's what i do. i've got a friend - great guy who i play golf with occasionally. he's a hiker and goes on these crazy journeys around the mountains here in socal. then he posts videos of his hikes on this baseball message board i visit rather frequently. i watch those videos and get in all the hiking i could possibly want and then some. 

you ought to look into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gotbeer said:

There is definitely something wrong with me.  Went on another long hike.  This was 3 miles up the river.  Then 1 mile of rock hopping up a gulch.  Then about 2000 up the side of a mountain.  Surprisingly, I felt good when we got to the mines.  The first time I did it at the beginning of the year, I was totally spent by the time I got to the mines, and didn't have the strength to explore at all.  So I must be getting better at torturing myself.

 

The "Rock Tumbler" is a ball (or rod) mill. They would put heavy iron balls (or rods) in it to crush the quartz ore before running it through a sluice or an amalgamation (mercury) system of some sort. It's hard to tell from what's left up there what they were using.

ballmill4.thumb.JPG.d2dc40a604348a4a28cddaee2f688b04.JPG1290509071_ballmill3.jpg.30897d7e2b336ebdbfba66f492f43032.jpg1965801354_ballmill2.thumb.JPG.c571c93f4f8d9a037745e7bb140f9ffb.JPGballmill1.thumb.JPG.617743f78bf7e8810633d31a88b34218.JPG 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

The "Rock Tumbler" is a ball (or rod) mill. They would put heavy iron balls (or rods) in it to crush the quartz ore before running it through a sluice or an amalgamation (mercury) system of some sort. It's hard to tell from what's left up there what they were using.

 

Yeah, that's exactly what it was.  Grabbed one of those iron balls as a souvenier.  Tried to pick up the door to that sucker, and could barely budge it.  

But the amazing thing is, they got that monster, that far up the river, really only using mules and making their own trails.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Yeah, that's exactly what it was.  Grabbed one of those iron balls as a souvenier.  Tried to pick up the door to that sucker, and could barely budge it.  

But the amazing thing is, they got that monster, that far up the river, really only using mules and making their own trails.  

That's always the most amazing thing...how they got that stuff to the mines. Living in Gold Country I've done a lot of mine exploring, and have helped rescue some unique equipment for museums, from some pretty remote areas. Even using modern equipment they were nearly impossible to move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

San Gabriel River, 2 days after about 9 inches of rain in the mountains.  River was so alive.  

On a side note.  Was hiking back, and was standing on the boardwalk waiting for someone.  Suddenly I heard for me, the absolute worse thing possible in the mountains.  Rocks falling.  I didn't even look up, I immediately bolted for the middle of the river, away from the side of the mountain where I was standing.  About 10 good size rocks fell right in the area where I was standing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest hike.  Allison Falls.  This is below the mines that I have a video of above.  It's another half hour from where the trail to Allison Mine splits off.  This was a real tiring hike.  I think the main reason was I was wearing my mucker boots, and they fill up with water fast.  This is also after the recent rains in So Cal.  So the entire Gulch was flowing water.  Usually, there is just a trickle of water flowing out.  It was so magestic.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you want to see the power of the river?  This video was taken by one of the prospectors a week ago, just after the rains with the snow level was 2k feet.

https://www.facebook.com/100012351545552/videos/634563690298677/

This is what happens when we get a warm rain with snow at 9k feet.  These were taken in the same location.  You can see the trees in the middle of both videos.

https://www.facebook.com/100012351545552/videos/637804786641234/

 

*  Edit.  Just realized it might not come out since this is in a private facebook group.

Edited by gotbeer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • AngelsWin.com Ad-free Membership Options