nate

4th OF?

67 posts in this topic

Looking at the 40 man roster, the one thing missing is a 4th OF.  Also, with Cron, Marte, Valbuena, and Cowart there are too many IF players on the bench.

I wonder if Cron gets traded for a 4th OF or a bullpen piece.

• Like 1

Cron, Marte, and Cowart are all superfluous and won't be on the 25-man roster. Cron doesn't even have a place in AAA, with Thaiss at 1B, so he's all but gone for whatever Eppler can get.

But yeah, a 4th OF is the only missing piece among position players.

Rymer Liriano.

I'd like them to sign Dyson who can play all 3 OF spots. Plus I like speed off the bench. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nate said:

Looking at the 40 man roster, the one thing missing is a 4th OF.  Also, with Cron, Marte, Valbuena, and Cowart there are too many IF players on the bench.

I wonder if Cron gets traded for a 4th OF or a bullpen piece.

I read somewhere that the Cards might look to trade Grilchuk...He can play all three OF positions.

Would anyone consider signing EYjr for the 4th OF spot?

• Like 3

It is hard to imagine teams will give up much for a barely serviceable 1b with a streaky bat.

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Rymer Liriano.

I'd like them to sign Dyson who can play all 3 OF spots. Plus I like speed off the bench. 

Yeah I prefer Dyson simply because he provides speed as a pinch runner which is a HUGE plus

8 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Yeah I prefer Dyson simply because he provides speed as a pinch runner which is a HUGE plus

We could bring back Big Ben Revere for less....NO?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Bring back BIG BEN!!! We need that speed!

This wouldnt break my heart at all.   Spot starts in the OF and speed off the bench.  
One also wonders if they arent shipping Valbuena an OF glove as well.  

4 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

We could bring back Big Ben Revere for less....NO?

Yeah you’re probably right.

Dyson did have 7 (28 to 21) more stolen bases in 2 more games than Revere (111 to 109)

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

This wouldnt break my heart at all.   Spot starts in the OF and speed off the bench.  
One also wonders if they arent shipping Valbuena an OF glove as well.  

Well, that tweet earlier about Josh Harrison was interesting.... He can play everything but SS.....But, yet another Right handed bat!.....

If we do get a conventional 4th OF, I think it will be someone cheap, young, and optionable to alleviate the recent trade of Montgomery and give us another young, controllable OF.

Hoying may already fit the bill.

I don't think it will be anyone like Revere, Davis, EYJr, Dyson, Suzuki (he'd be interesting actually if Ohtani is actually open to it)

Why not Hermosillo for the 4th OF role?  He is league min can be optioned up and down.  Might as well see what he's got.  Less pressure on him as the 4th OF.  We can us e the funds we would allocate for a 4th outfield to BP and SP.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kody Mac said:

Bourjos!

I'd be down with this.  Good glove.  Good speed.  You're not picking up a 4th OFer for a power bat.

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I'd be down with this.  Good glove.  Good speed.  You're not picking up a 4th OFer for a power bat.

I would rather have someone that knows how to steal bases

• Like 2

Just now, nate said:

I would rather have someone that knows how to steal bases

Oh, he knows.  He just doesn't get on base enough to do it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cdaniel said:

Why not Hermosillo for the 4th OF role?  He is league min can be optioned up and down.  Might as well see what he's got.  Less pressure on him as the 4th OF.  We can us e the funds we would allocate for a 4th outfield to BP and SP.

He won't get many ABs, that'd be my only concern. I'd rather he get full-time reps in SLC and be first guy up if anyone gets hurt....at least for the start of the season.

I would rather have a veteran OFer rather than have a rookie, who is used to starting everyday, be the fourth outfielder and have no idea how to keep sharp playing once or twice a week.  

• Like 2

In the roster reconstruction thread, I laid out an idea that the Angels would forego both the traditional UT IF and 4th OF spot on the bench. Cozart/Valbuena give you all the coverage you'd need from a UT IF, and a left-handed/switch-hitting bench player could simply cover corner-infield/outfield roles if that player is easier to obtain, with Upton or a AAA OF recalled covering CF in a pinch. Ohtani could play himself into OF depth by end of year too.

5 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Oh, he knows.  He just doesn't get on base enough to do it.

During his good years with the Angels when ever he got on first he was stuck there.  Terrible base stealing instincts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nate said:

During his good years with the Angels when ever he got on first he was stuck there.  Terrible base stealing instincts.

Yeah, I'm on board with him too.

42 minutes ago, Cdaniel said:

This