Sign in to follow this  
Angels_Make_Me_Drink

Question re: cord cutting

171 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mancini79 said:

If you are only needing Fox Sports during the baseball season, then cut the cord. I have Psvue and I get both Fox Sports feed for San Diego and LA. I pay $49.99 all in.

I do get all the locals with Psvue but you can get the locals with a HD TV antenna. So during the off season, you can easily stop the Psvue with a click of a button. Then turn it back on whenever you want. Also, there are no extra equipment or service fees with streaming.

Perfect. That sounds like the most sense (thanks!).

For example, I decided to go through the non movie channels i figured id miss most. First ones that popped into my head were FX, TBS, TNT and the History channel.

Then I realized im not getting those anyway. I switched plans a few years ago...annnnd didnt even notice that i dont have them.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Perfect. That sounds like the most sense (thanks!).

For example, I decided to go through the non movie channels i figured id miss most. First ones that popped into my head were FX, TBS, TNT and the History channel.

Then I realized im not getting those anyway. I switched plans a few years ago...annnnd didnt even notice that i dont have them.

Take a look at PlutoTV. Its legitimately free with tons of content. With the locals, companies are looking at offering a streaming platform for free. Locast has started their free streaming service in NY, Boston, Houston, and Denver. Hopefully it continues to grow.

As people continue to cut cable, networks like History channel will start offering their own service. I can guarantee that the transition from cutting cable is easier than expected and will notice the cost savings.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:57 PM, Blarg said:

I can write of my Cable and internet for work so it's no advantage to jump through all the hoops to cut my bill by a few dollars. 

On 2/10/2019 at 3:39 AM, calscuf said:

Fantastic contribution to this thread.

Hey, @calscuf, screw you. We're all gonna do that now. 

I do what Mancini does. PSVue but the higher package that includes HBO and SHO. I think it's $80 and includes everything.

Side things we have in the house:

We have Netflix. I have an Amazon account that comes with Prime for free (this is a game changer). I just signed up for the ESPN+ just for the UFC fights which is something like $50 for the year if you buy the year package.

I cancelled Netflix, noticed I was hardly watching it.  YTTV is nice for $40.

Anything that is not available on Prime/YTTV I just "acquire" and put on my plex server.

Yeah, Netflix is dope on the standup comedy tip and a few of their own shows, but I never use it. I think I just peruse the list once every few months and it seems like it's the same movies.

I don't pay for it or I would drop it.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:39 PM, Brandon said:

Yeah, Netflix is dope on the standup comedy tip and a few of their own shows, but I never use it. I think I just peruse the list once every few months and it seems like it's the same movies.

I don't pay for it or I would drop it.

Netflix has a ton of good movies...but I already own most of the ones i like. The only things id miss are a few of the documentaries, but even then, it makes more sense just to buy those outright and cancel netflix.

I figure i paid 200 bucks are so last year for netflix, and used it maybe 3 times.

Im leaning towards either psvue of hulu. Gonna try the free trial next weekend to see if i like them, then call directv and tell them to get their stupid equipment out of my house.

26 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Im leaning towards either psvue of hulu. Gonna try the free trial next weekend to see if i like them, then call directv and tell them to get their stupid equipment out of my house.

when they come over to get their equipment, do it at gunpoint. 

(and please get it on video)

53 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

And it looks like i can just try these other guys out super simple. No equipment set up or anything.

Kicking myself for not getting off my ass and doing this sooner.

Just to be sure about your speed, go to speedtest.net  and let me know the stats.

3 hours ago, mancini79 said:

Just to be sure about your speed, go to speedtest.net  and let me know the stats.

Is this ok? I do have a VPN though.

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 10.57.36 PM.png

10 minutes ago, mancini79 said:

Smokin. Upload is nuts. Do you have fiber?

Yeah. My place had Google Fiber added about a year ago or so and I jumped on board because Cox sucks cock.