Sign in to follow this  
stormngt

Problem with looking at standings too soon.

8 posts in this topic

We are one game back in the lost column to Houston.  However Houston has not played Cleveland, and Boston, 

We are tied with Seattle in loss column but they have yet to play Boston and Yankees and only played Houston 4 games while we played them 6.  

The schedule evens itself out in the long haul of the season.  I feel pretty good about our position right now.  Kole is going to play better.  We do need to improve the Pen.  But i feel we have a good shot at the division!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I agreed with you! I felt as we so far had the toughest schedule in our division, we've played Cleveland, New York, Boston, Houston, Colorado and Seattle.  Also  most of these teams were hot when we played them or either our pitching/ hitting was struggling.   

Excellent point Storm.  You really can't project the games played so far as to the ultimate result, or for that matter draw definitive end conclusions.  Nothing is linear in baseball because the season is so long.  Yet every day many fans like to discuss who is and who is not going to finish the season in a playoff position, who will be the MVP's, Cy Young winners, and what not only will happen this year, but next as well.  Patience never has defined baseball fans.  Literally they have their focus on result over the season versus what the teams and players focus on, which is result literally in today's game, AB's and individual pitches.  Even for teams like Boston and New York this year, nothing is for sure over their remaining games.  We don't know yet whether they can maintain the pace set so far, keep everyone healthy, or stay out of prolonged slumps.  For every team the emphasis should be on winning today's game, improving performance during the season, improving the roster during the season, and staying healthy and productive. 

• Thanks 1

Great point, we've also been facing some of the best pitchers on those teams. I think I read tonight against Archer will be the 4th All Star SP against us in a row? I agree I like where we are but we could use a legitimate closer in trade. Hopefully Scioscia can manage the bullpen until closer to the trading deadline and Eppler can snag someone. Our odds look good for a playoff shot this year!

Halos have only played NINE games against teams (Royals, Rangers, O's) not at least close to .500, and have gone 9-0 in those games. 

• Like 1

Pulling for the Indians this weekend.

You are always the voice of reason and sanity on this website. I usually agree with you. Most people here, myself included, are typical fans, irrational, emotional and impatient for a winning team after many years wandering in the desert of mediocrity. So thank you for your wise counsel, but have some patience for your less mature brethren (and sisterin?). We all want the Angels to reach that promised land. Having said this, I still have that sinking feeling - yes, feeling - that there are too many weaknesses on the Halos to compete in the postseason this year.

4 hours ago, Waybackman said:

You are always the voice of reason and sanity on this website. I usually agree with you. Most people here, myself included, are typical fans, irrational, emotional and impatient for a winning team after many years wandering in the desert of mediocrity. So thank you for your wise counsel, but have some patience for your less mature brethren (and sisterin?). We all want the Angels to reach that promised land. Having said this, I still have that sinking feeling - yes, feeling - that there are too many weaknesses on the Halos to compete in the postseason this year.

I will agree with you that we cant stand pat.  We need to improve in order to stay in the race.