Make Angels Great Again

Albert Pujols numbers not encouraging

149 posts in this topic

So we're about 40 games into the season now, so it seems like a fair time to assess Albert's stats for this year.

I know he's been discussed ad naseum, but this year was supposed to be different with the weight loss, right? Well...

He's batting .256/.289/.421, an OPS+ of 93 and a WAR of 0.1 in 173 PAs.

I think we're seeing the last year of Albert as a full time regular. His off season regiment obviously hasn't helped much.

Posted (edited)

At least the GIDP's are down. The rollers to third are so slow now they can only get the out at first. Plus there are more lazy fly balls as he's always trying to elevate to chase another home run record.

Edited by fan_since79

32 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

So we're about 40 games into the season now, so it seems like a fair time to assess Albert's stats for this year.

I know he's been discussed ad naseum, but this year was supposed to be different with the weight loss, right? Well...

He's batting .256/.289/.421, an OPS+ of 93 and a WAR of 0.1 in 173 PAs.

I think we're seeing the last year of Albert as a full time regular. His off season regiment obviously hasn't helped much.

I'm fine with him being in the lineup since we can't let $30m sit on the bench, but Scioscia has to take him out of the 4-hole. It's getting ridiculous, everyone says Pujols refuses to accept that, but too bad. He'll drop Calhoun and Kinsler when they're struggling, rightfully so, why does Pujols get babied? Since we traded Cron like fools, we don't really have anyone else to play 1B, this is exactly why I wish we kept him, but I've been a Cron fanboy from day 1. Especially since Pujols is so injury prone, if he goes down who do we count on, Valbuena? Marte is the better player there but never sees the field. 

Sosh probably has him batting cleanup because of this..

The only way Pujols loses his job, assuming he doesn't dip into complete oblivion, is if someone comes up to challenge him and plays significantly better, and the only way that happens if an opportunity opens up - meaning, someone gets hurt.

The most likely candidates are Fernandez, Carter, and Thaiss. Thaiss isn't quite ready and probably won't get called up until September, if then. Carter will probably perform similarly to Pujols, so won't take his job. Fernandez is the wildcard, but probably doesn't get the call unless Valbuena or Kinsler go down, and then he'll be taking PA from him.

Next year could be a different matter but again, unless Albert drops even further, he probably starts the year as a regular. 

Older players will always know when it's time to hang up the spikes. The youngsters have a habit of making it clear to them. Only sometimes old timers aren't ready to stop playing. They'll hang on out of sheer pride and that's what we're seeing from Albert.

But eventually I think he'll come to terms with it.

2018 - Plays 1B/DH, bats cleanup. Later in the year he's dropped to 7th.

2019 - Plays 1B/DH,  bats 7th for the first half, moves into a reserve role in the second half.

2020 - Power bat off the bench. Retires after the year.

2021 - Moves into a coaching role as second batting coach. He's in the dugout at home but doesn't travel with the team.