Chuckster70

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Rays (5/17/2018)

442 posts in this topic

Tho it wasn't productive against Cole and Verlander why not stick with Trout and Ohtani at the top and see what might could be.

4 minutes ago, REDneck said:

Tho it wasn't productive against Cole and Verlander why not stick with Trout and Ohtani at the top and see what might could be.

It might could be that they went 0 for and scored 3 runs in 2 games. Just a hunch

• Like 5

There really is no good reason for the .342 hitter to be batting that low in the lineup. I think it's time to move Simmons to the 2 spot and have Trout/Upton as the 3/4 hitters

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

It might could be that they went 0 for and scored 3 runs in 2 games. Just a hunch

Against totally run of the mill starters too, right?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Cole and Verlander...more than just a hunch

• Like 2

I may be in the minority but I am a bigger fan of Cozart and Trout 1-2 with Ohtani batting 5th rather than Trout and Ohtani 1-2. Although it would not have hurt to give them one more shot with Cole and Verlander not on the mound.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

I may be in the minority but I am a bigger fan of Cozart and Trout 1-2 with Ohtani batting 5th rather than Trout and Ohtani 1-2. But it would not have hurt to give them one more shot with Cole and Verlander not on the mound.

This is basically 100% my thought. I want to believe that the Ohtani that we have seen hitting is the real Ohtani, but I don't believe it yet. I think at this point, what we know for sure is that his power is for real - and from that perspective, he fits very well in the middle of the lineup, about where he is. Cozart has done well infront of Trout, so I see no reason to stop doing that. That being said, our lineup is amazing if Troutani works, so I would like to see it against one or two more...standard pitchers...

2 minutes ago, krAbs said:

This is basically 100% my thought. I want to believe that the Ohtani that we have seen hitting is the real Ohtani, but I don't believe it yet. I think at this point, what we know for sure is that his power is for real - and from that perspective, he fits very well in the middle of the lineup, about where he is. Cozart has done well infront of Trout, so I see no reason to stop doing that. That being said, our lineup is amazing if Troutani works, so I would like to see it against one or two more...standard pitchers...

Yep...I agree.

Cozart is doing better last 10 games or so , but its not like he's on fire.

See what Trout and Ohtani at the top can make happen for a few more games.

Cozart, Simba, Trout, Upton, Ohtani, Pujols, Kinsler, Calhoun, and Machete sounds good to me.

Pujols only has a .720 OPS with RISP.    It's time to move him down to #5/#6 (5th when Ohtani not in lineup).  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Good lineup. Favorable pitching matchup. I think we win tonight.

Archer is 5-1 with a sub 3.00 career ERA against the Halos.   He becomes Verlander against the Halos.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Archer is 5-1 with a sub 3.00 career ERA against the Halos.   He becomes Verlander against the Halos.

Yes, but still like the Angels tonight

34 minutes ago, krAbs said:

Against totally run of the mill starters too, right?

How do you expect to win a playoff series if we have to face those 2 four times in a 7 game series? That shouldn't be an excuse 

I can't wait until 2021.

A bunch of scrubs and Pujols there in the cleanup spot, and Scioscia in the 3rd year of his extension.

should be: Cozart, Trout, Ohtani, Upton, Simmons, Pujols, then the rest...

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

How do you expect to win a playoff series if we have to face those 2 four times in a 7 game series? That shouldn't be an excuse 

iron man eye roll GIF

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

You're right. Throw keuchel in there too

Yeah, we don't have a lineup that is going to magically light up these guys. Sorry. If that's your standard, you're going to be disappointed. If we win in the playoffs, it will be by keeping games close and getting a little lucky.

So yeah, them not hitting against those guys is going to be a problem in the playoffs. In the playoffs. Its hardly a representative sample, though.

Edit - to be clear, this is not some Angels problem. This is going to be a problem for every team in baseball. The Yankees are going to have serious problems scoring against the Astros. The Red Sox are going to have serious problems scoring against the Astros. If what we have seen so far is any indication, the Astros are going to be VERY good at shutting down even the best offensive teams in baseball.

• Like 1

This team is not the entire team that will be playing at the end of the season. Neither will be any other team in the playoff hunt.

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

8 runs minimum.

You’re crazy, Skaggs is going to shut them out. 

• Like 3

Good call in lowering Ohtani to 5th, a bit less pressure on him to produce.