Sign in to follow this  
red321

Nest vs. Ecobee

19 posts in this topic

Anyone have either of these? Probably install something similar in the next month or two. Was going to pick up Nest and then saw there was a competing product, ecobee...that appears to be less money. We are fairly tied to the Amazon product set (echo's installed in various rooms) and I see that ecobee is partially funded by Amazon.

Thoughts on either of the two?

I have the Nest doorbell and like it a lot.  The Amazon one is battery powered where the Nest version uses the power from your original doorbell.

Not really interested in the rest of the stuff.

Amazon bought Ring.  So not sure about Ecobee.

But the big thing about these security cameras and smart doorbells like Nest and Rings is their subscription to store videos.  I am hoping that some day Ring, since it's now an Amazon company, let's me use the cloud space I have with a Prime Subscription.  And same thing with Nest, since it's a Google company, let's me use the cloud space I have with them.  It just seems silly to me, that I have all this cloud space with both companies, and yet both companies are making me buy cloud space somewhere else.  

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Well if you're a bird, I'd probably go with a nest

52 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Image result for do you want skynet

After reading Adam's post, it seems to me that Skynet is what we deserve.

I have a Nest thermostat, not the latest model though. It's great. 

I found an ex-marine wood worker guy in Boston to make me custom round wood molding trim for $50 I sanded and painted to match the trim on rest of my place. Pretty sweet and makes it blend in awesomely to a 110 year old (yet tricked out) house. I think he has an actual legit company now. Whenever I see one with the lame white square it very subtly annoys me. ;) 

The internet home automation folks do love Ecobee though, since they have per-room sensors. 

I think the Nest are more aesthetically pleasing than Ecobee, and I don't use Alexa so that aspect is useless to me.

I bought the Ecobee now that it is on sale.  The per room sensors are really what did it for me because my house can really vary in temp from room to room.

I always kinda scoffed at the thermostats like they were a gimmick, but as it turns out, it is awesome.

DtOcqqd.png

oq7j5OS.png

Edited by nate

12 minutes ago, red321 said:

Cool...good info both of you. Now...Ring vs. Hello?

So, only get one if your doorbell transformer is powerful enough.  Don't get the battery powered Ring, it is crap.  The Ring Pro is supposed to be good, I have the Nest but will probably swap it for a Ring eventually.

With that said, I think google home >>>>> alexa.

18 minutes ago, nate said:

So, only get one if your doorbell transformer is powerful enough.  Don't get the battery powered Ring, it is crap.  The Ring Pro is supposed to be good, I have the Nest but will probably swap it for a Ring eventually.

With that said, I think google home >>>>> alexa.

We are already pretty tied into Alexa so I don't see us moving from it anytime soon. Need to spend some additional time figuring out how to get more of it. Moving in to a new place so going to computer overlord the place up.

I have the Ring Pro, with the chime pro. 

It's fine; currently the best of what's out there. But it's not perfect. Make sure you have good wifi hardware.

The POE Ring would be cute, but it's way over-priced and only interesting for new construction.

I don't use alexa or google home.

I was kinda disappointed to see that the homekit enabled smoke/carbon monoxide detectors are pretty weak.  there is a nest but no homekit support unless you hack.

Since the only use for it would be to get an alert if something happnens while i am not home, it isn't a huge deal though.  we just ended up buying the basic "dumb" one

40 minutes ago, nate said:

I was kinda disappointed to see that the homekit enabled smoke/carbon monoxide detectors are pretty weak.  there is a nest but no homekit support unless you hack.

I'm not even a lawyer and that gives me chills about potential catastrophic liability lawsuits.