Sign in to follow this  
gotbeer

Supreme Court decision of the day

320 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

I think you misunderstand me or I am not communicating well. I do not believe that 1A rights should extend to Facebook/Twitter, at least not at this point in time.

Yeah, I think I misunderstood you.  I read it as not extending 1A rights would be terrible

"the anti-vaccination movement originates and finds its strongest support in the political left. A later article by the same researchers similarly argues that Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) evidence shows that states that voted for Obama in 2012 have higher rates of nonmedical vaccination exemptions."

http://theconversation.com/anti-vaccination-beliefs-dont-follow-the-usual-political-polarization-81001

15 minutes ago, Geoff said:

"the anti-vaccination movement originates and finds its strongest support in the political left. A later article by the same researchers similarly argues that Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) evidence shows that states that voted for Obama in 2012 have higher rates of nonmedical vaccination exemptions."

http://theconversation.com/anti-vaccination-beliefs-dont-follow-the-usual-political-polarization-81001

I assume that you stopped reading that article at the section you quoted? 

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I didn't stop reading there.  That was the only part I read.

Ok, because the rest of it more or less reinforces what @calscuf posted. The articles are very much compatible.

Teamwork makes the dream work! 

48 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Now it is only the very conservative who are more likely to think that it should not be mandatory: they are twice as likely as moderates to think that it should be a parent’s choice. Liberals are now more likely to think vaccination should be required: Compared to moderates, liberals are 43.5 percent less likely to think it should be a parent’s choice and those who are very liberal are 14.2 percent less likely.

I would imagine this is the discussion on this board. Do we have any true anti-vaxxers here?  This is another one of those debates where both sides seem to have a legitimate argument. 

I have 4 thoughts on this issue.

1. No one should be forced to be vaccinated by law.

2. Public and private schools should be able to decline admittance to unvaccinated kids as a public health concern.  Perhaps even extend this rule to private businesses. (Theme parks, flights, and so on...)

3. Teens and pre-teens should be allowed to seek vaccinations without their parents consent.

4. Anti-Vaxxers are dumber than Flat-Earthers.  

1 minute ago, Rico said:

2. Public and private schools should be able to decline admittance to unvaccinated kids as a public health concern.  Perhaps even extend this rule to private businesses. (Theme parks, flights, and so on...)

3. Teens and pre-teens should be allowed to seek vaccinations without their parents consent.

I agree completely. 

On 2/26/2019 at 11:44 AM, Rico said:

Hey! Common ground found in this forum

U.S. Supreme Court safeguards investor-protection laws

I'm not sure I like this one.  If I'm reading it right, and making a different comparison.  If say I was a broker or involved in securities or something.  And I forwarded a investment opportunity on X company, based on say an article in some newspaper.  And that information proved wrong, I would be held liable?