Sign in to follow this  
gotbeer

And in Fast Food News Part 2

212 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Tank said:

and build several franchises in portland.

you don't even want to know what the new INO truck would look like...

not sure about the trucks, but the delivery guy will be in the standard issued uniform 

image.jpeg

22 minutes ago, calscuf said:

I know INO fries are fresh cut but what’s the reason they can’t get “crispy” like McDonalds?

Fresh cut means the potato retains all of it's moisture. That has to leach out in order to afford a crisp deep fry. From cut to deep fry is pretty quick at In N Out from what I've seen so there is no way the internal moisture can be removed. Regardless of how crispy the outside is the internal is water trying to escape and that's why they go limp and soft soon after cooking.

McDonalds cooks from packages of processed frozen French fries that already went through a process to extract enough moisture to afford them to cook up crisp, even from frozen. They've made a science of food prep to create what you take for granted, crisp French fries that hold their flavor and texture for longer. 

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

Fresh cut means the potato retains all of it's moisture. That has to leach out in order to afford a crisp deep fry. From cut to deep fry is pretty quick at In N Out from what I've seen so there is no way the internal moisture can be removed. Regardless of how crispy the outside is the internal is water trying to escape and that's why they go limp and soft soon after cooking.

McDonalds cooks from packages of processed frozen French fries that already went through a process to extract enough moisture to afford them to cook up crisp, even from frozen. They've made a science of food prep to create what you take for granted, crisp French fries that hold their flavor and texture for longer. 

And you have to keep them in water to rinse them after dicing AND to keep them from oxidizing.  We spin them to take the surface water off of them before putting them in the fryer, because oil and water are a bad combination.  We dice them and they are used within an hour.  The fry you are eating was peeled within 3-4 hours of you eating the fry.   

I don’t hate INO fries.  They’re different than McD’s which we all kind of grew up eating and to me are the standard in “good fries”.  I’ve always assumed the difference was related the freshness (confirmed by Blarg/Strads explanations).

If you’re expecting McD’s fries and you get INO I can see how you’d be disappointed, 

Basically, INO fries are the way fries should be.  Perhaps if they salted the fresh cut ones, that would draw out the moisture while keeping them fresh and ultimately frying more like people expect? I’m sure they’ve considered that but it’s like INO is open to new ideas.

Just like Christians.