Sign in to follow this  
disarcina

Crunch time for the Halos

40 posts in this topic

June 15 is Friday -- we just lost another critical game to division rival, and unexpected division leader, Seattle to drop SIX games back in the West.

Either the Halos turn this around starting NOW or you can cue up Paul Simon's 'Slip Slidin' Away' because that's what's happening if Halos don't wind up with some W's this week to pull within three games of the lead.

I don't know if I'd much some sudden deal but I would certainly look at the roster (Valbuena, few others) and make some changes, perhaps before Wednesday's (tomorrow's) game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish they’d finally open the wallet and do something drastic.  Exceed the damn cap.  Always saying they’d do it for the right player...   we HAVE the right player, now we need to extend him and give him half a team to play with.   I’ve never been in the “Trout’s gonna walk camp,” but he’s gotta be sick of this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Biergott said:

Wish they’d finally open the wallet and do something drastic.  Exceed the damn cap.  Always saying they’d do it for the right player...   we HAVE the right player, now we need to extend him and give him half a team to play with.   I’ve never been in the “Trout’s gonna walk camp,” but he’s gotta be sick of this

This is exactly what I've been thinking. Two nights in a row, in the most important games so far this season, he's hit 2 HRs in each and no one else has done shit. He's responsible for 5 out of the 6 runs the team has scored in the two games. He's got to be thinking to himself, "What else can I f*cking do? Please get me some help."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we have to salvage one game from this series by winning tomorrow.

then, we need to win two of three this weekend vs. the A's.

critical.

the difference could be 7 to 9 games back vs. 3 to 4 games back -- a huge swing as the season hits the half way mark.

Could be the difference between being buyers or sellers as the deadline approaches and if we end up being in the position of being sellers,

then this could be the end of road for Sosh.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect nothing significant, just a couple minor improvements. We made our big splash in the off-season and he’s about to go under the knife. 

Right now I tune in for Trout and that’s about all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, disarcina said:

LHALO : 'tune in for Trout and that's about all' ---

I understand that - and sometimes it really feels that way -- but let's not forget we have a guy at SS who is as good as any MIF we've ever had in a Halos uni.

 

When will that guy ever be back though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Biergott said:

Wish they’d finally open the wallet and do something drastic.  Exceed the damn cap.  Always saying they’d do it for the right player...   we HAVE the right player, now we need to extend him and give him half a team to play with.   I’ve never been in the “Trout’s gonna walk camp,” but he’s gotta be sick of this

So last year the team finished under .500, in 2016 the team finished under .500.  Now the team is six games over .500, has good starting pitching, Trout is still being Trout, but now Trout is going to walk?   This is fan projection.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, disarcina said:

LHALO : 'tune in for Trout and that's about all' ---

I understand that - and sometimes it really feels that way -- but let's not forget we have a guy at SS who is as good as any MIF we've ever had in a Halos uni.

 

How many more weeks or months before he actually returns? That was one seriously sprained ankle. Stepping into the dugout...

Typical for this team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

How many more weeks or months before he actually returns? That was one seriously sprained ankle. Stepping into the dugout...

Typical for this team.

 

Screenshot_2018-06-13-08-00-07.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Boogie Man said:

So last year the team finished under .500, in 2016 the team finished under .500.  Now the team is six games over .500, has good starting pitching, Trout is still being Trout, but now Trout is going to walk?   This is fan projection.  

is there any part of "playoff baseball" that you dont get?   Hes made it clear that what he wants.  Thats not bad fan take, that reality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

That was early on.   Seems like the recovery progression is not what was expected?   It's been just over a week now, and he's barely taking part in activities.   Then again, do Halos players every get back from the DL on schedule?

The comments Glen posted were from two days ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sprained ankle shouldn't take that long.

Angels are a different team (not nearly as good) when he's NOT in the line up.

he's a tremendous ballplayer.

I'd rank him NOW as Number One Halos of All TIme.

Yep -- over Fregosi, Orlando Cabrera, my favorite- DiSar (who really didn't field all that well, but the Angels seemed to win when he was in the line up) ; Dick Schofield, David Eckstein - I must have missed a few........

BTW caught a shot of DiSar who is the bench coach for Mickey Callaway NY Mets manager, on ESPN game the other night (of course, the Mets were playing the Yankees - only way to get on ESPN/ Fox Sports etc.)  DiSar spent years shuttling between positions with the Angels and the Red Sox.   Liked him as a player for us, but he may go down in the books as the worst Halos third base coach of all time -- I think we had more runners thrown out at the plate the two years DiSar was in the third base coaching box than any other period of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, floplag said:

is there any part of "playoff baseball" that you dont get?   Hes made it clear that what he wants.  Thats not bad fan take, that reality. 

Yes I understand all of that.  But this is absolutely fan projection.  He wants to win.  We all want to win.  He is under contract for 2.5 more seasons.  If we win this year,  next year or the following year, he will take that into consideration, much more than June 13th 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's obvious Trout is going to judge the teams chances of winning here the next 5-7 years after his current contract ends vs. his chances in that time frame somewhere else. I don't think he's some bitter girlfriend who is going to be jaded we didn't win much his first 6 years in the league. I know for a fact he's probably disappointed but he's a pro and he understands how sports work.

I will say that if this team doesn't get it together for the final 2 years of his current contract, and clearly show that they are moving in the right direction, I think it's pretty clear he's going to leave. He's not from here, and while I'm sure he likes it here, he can go be happy somewhere else if he feels like another team is in a much better position to compete the last 5 years of his prime.

With that said, we should be building towards the last 2 years of his contract and beyond that if we want him to stay on board. You go selling out everything for 1 or 2 seasons, and it doesn't work, then he is gone for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, laagamer said:

If by crunch you mean injuries in mass, then every season all season is crunch time for the Halos. 

Cursed franchise!

Man upstairs, what did the Halos ever do to you??????

How come the M’s aren't having any injuries????? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Yes I understand all of that.  But this is absolutely fan projection.  He wants to win.  We all want to win.  He is under contract for 2.5 more seasons.  If we win this year,  next year or the following year, he will take that into consideration, much more than June 13th 2018.

And how are we doing at that currently?  How are we likely to do with a youth movement?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, floplag said:

And how are we doing at that currently?  How are we likely to do with a youth movement?  

Right now we’re playing poorly.  This season we’re five games over .500.  Right now we are building a very good farm.  

Edited by The Boogie Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • AngelsWin.com Ad-free Membership Options