Sign in to follow this  
BackUpTheTruck

Revenge for '95

42 posts in this topic

The 1995 California Angels collapsed to the Seattle Mariners.  Time for payback. 

Tomorrow, the Mariners start a 4 game series vs. Boston, then travel to the east coast to play NYY/BOS three times each.

We play Oakland 3 times, Arizona twice, and Toronto 4 times.

The Mariners are fully capable of losing 10 straight games. If that happens, and we win 7 of our next 9 because of the youth movement, we will be tied with Seattle.

Season not over just yet.

A Revenge for '95 would be nice, but I think we might be more than 11 games out in August.  Would be funny if Oakland gets hot, Seattle struggles and they sneak in as #2 wildcard.

If not for the injuries and the rotten bullpen, I could dream.  

In 1982, the Bravos led the Dogs by 10.5 games in late July.   Two weeks later, the Dogs had caught them.   But that was mainly due to the Dogs sweeping two four game series from the Bravos in those two weeks.  

We have a lot of games left with Seattle an Houston.  Things are not decided yet.  

However, we need to stop losing games in the 7, 8, 9th innings! We need to plug the holes in our offense. 

Good news is that Fletcher and JMF may solve solve two holes in our lineup. 

Now let's hope Calhoun gets his bat back.

Need help in the bullpen!

23 minutes ago, stormngt said:

We have a lot of games left with Seattle an Houston.  Things are not decided yet.  

However, we need to stop losing games in the 7, 8, 9th innings! We need to plug the holes in our offense. 

Good news is that Fletcher and JMF may solve solve two holes in our lineup. 

Now let's hope Calhoun gets his bat back.

Need help in the bullpen!

I agree. It's much too early to give up on the team. The bullpen is the biggest issue, but we need more consistency with the bats too.

16 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

The 1995 California Angels collapsed to the Seattle Mariners.  Time for payback. 

Tomorrow, the Mariners start a 4 game series vs. Boston, then travel to the east coast to play NYY/BOS three times each.

We play Oakland 3 times, Arizona twice, and Toronto 4 times.

The Mariners are fully capable of losing 10 straight games. If that happens, and we win 7 of our next 9 because of the youth movement, we will be tied with Seattle.

Season not over just yet.

Luckily we avoid Chris Sale this 4 games series so I fail to see how we are fully capable of losing 10 straight games. It's a little ridiculous to think any team will lose 10 straight games .... its baseball .... anyone can win on any given day.

That and Arizona, Oakland and Toronto are all capable of winning baseball games ....

6 minutes ago, Ender said:

Luckily we avoid Chris Sale this 4 games series so I fail to see how we are fully capable of losing 10 straight games. It's a little ridiculous to think any team will lose 10 straight games .... its baseball .... anyone can win on any given day.

That and Arizona, Oakland and Toronto are all capable of winning baseball games ....

The Angels lost 9 of 10 vs. the Yankees and Red Sox.  We avoided Chris Sale too.  That was when Simmons and Ohtani were in the lineup.

Arizona, Oakland, and Toronto have plenty of holes on their roster, the Angels can easily win 7 of their next 9.

The Angels don't have to tie the Mariners after this stretch, cutting the deficit to 3 GB or less would be nice.

23 minutes ago, Ender said:

You sound nervous about the upcoming games. 

53 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

The Angels lost 9 of 10 vs. the Yankees and Red Sox.  We avoided Chris Sale too.  That was when Simmons and Ohtani were in the lineup.

Arizona, Oakland, and Toronto have plenty of holes on their roster, the Angels can easily win 7 of their next 9.

The Angels don't have to tie the Mariners after this stretch, cutting the deficit to 3 GB or less would be nice.

They need to be within 4-5 games, when they play the first 3 of 10 straight games at home vs the M's just before the ASB. 

1 hour ago, Randy Gradishar said:

I don't even look at the Mariners in the standings; their odds of finishing the season ahead of the Angels are exactly zero.

Current odds for them to make the playoffs is above 70%. With only a few months left, a 7.5 game difference is a pretty big gap. Even starting the season, it would be hard to say that the Angels were 8 games better than the Mariners. Not impossible, but at this point, the smart money would be on the Mariners making the playoffs over the Angels unfortunately. I do hope that their ridiculously lucky amount of 2-run or less amount of wins starts to bite them in the ass, though it's been helping my fantasy team about (thanks Edwin Diaz.)

2 hours ago, Randy Gradishar said:

I don't even look at the Mariners in the standings; their odds of finishing the season ahead of the Angels are exactly zero.

I dont think this run by the Mariners is indicative of any lasting quality, either.

On the other hand, I'm not sure we can catch them with this team. Nor can we catch the Astros.

Houston is really starting to come around with the bats, now. I look for them to run away with this division in the next month. Their schedule has been nothing but patsies, lately. From June 7 THROUGH the All Star break on July 19th, the Astros will have played nothing but teams that are currently under .500. One, Oakland, was recently dropped below .500 by the Astros. It's no surprise the Astros have won eight straight, suddenly.

It's beginning to look like either AL WC team is going to be at least 15 games over .500. It doesnt feel like the Angels are capable of that. Same goes for the Twins.

One small consolation in the WC is that there isnt a giant bunching of teams around .500 like last year. So, there are fewer teams to climb over, which can be difficult if you are, like, five teams out of the 2nd WC spot. It appears the Angels simply have to catch one of Houston and Seattle and one of Boston and NYY.

But we are a long ways back of those teams now. And we really have to make up ground before the end of June. Our schedule holds teams we should beat. Seattle's is brutal over the next 10 games. Our July schedule starts getting tougher;  unlike the first half of this season.

We play Seattle six times in the first two weeks of July. After that, we will know plenty about whether we are buyers or sellers at the deadline.

3 hours ago, Sam Sanchez said:

Current odds for them to make the playoffs is above 70%. With only a few months left, a 7.5 game difference is a pretty big gap. Even starting the season, it would be hard to say that the Angels were 8 games better than the Mariners. Not impossible, but at this point, the smart money would be on the Mariners making the playoffs over the Angels unfortunately. I do hope that their ridiculously lucky amount of 2-run or less amount of wins starts to bite them in the ass, though it's been helping my fantasy team about (thanks Edwin Diaz.)

You guys simply think the Mariners are going to continue to win 70% of their games.  I dont care if we are 20 back.  Head to head will be the key.  

56 minutes ago, stormngt said:

You guys simply think the Mariners are going to continue to win 70% of their games.  I dont care if we are 20 back.  Head to head will be the key.  

Why do we play the first 10 In Seattle lol ( not that Seattle has a real home field advantage)

at least we’ve split with the Astros so far home-away

9 hours ago, Mark68 said:

The '95 team was better all around than this team.

Yeah.  To start, they had a solid veteran closer (Lee Smith) and a great young setup man (Percival.) Something this team severely lacks.