Sign in to follow this  
BackUpTheTruck

'Pen start the game? (Rays' strategy)

Bullpen start the game?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Bullpen start the game?

22 posts in this topic

Canning, Suarez, and Lamb can take care of the first three innings each night (after Richards and Tropeano get back).

Only bring out Alvarez in the 9th if the SP has a high pitch count.

BTW, season over.

18 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Canning, Suarez, and Lamb can take care of the first three innings each night (after Richards and Tropeano get back).

Only bring out Alvarez in the 9th if the SP has a high pitch count.

BTW, season over.

To clarify, I was thinking Canning, Suarez, and Lamb rotate and pitch 3 innings each night (2-3 days rest in between).

If one pitched Monday, Thursday, and Sunday, that would be 9 innings in a week.

what I would find interesting is a staff where a pitcher never faces a hitter more than twice.  that could get most pitchers through 4 and possibly 5.  

how about the first guy goes through the lineup once.  likely 2ip.  then the second guy twice.  likely 4-5ip.  then your pen kicks in.  

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

what I would find interesting is a staff where a pitcher never faces a hitter more than twice.  that could get most pitchers through 4 and possibly 5.  

how about the first guy goes through the lineup once.  likely 2ip.  then the second guy twice.  likely 4-5ip.  then your pen kicks in.  

Never know, something at least similar to this could become in fashion during the next several years.   No one probably ever thought in the old days that a 5 man rotation would ever be used.

41 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Bullpen management also comes into play here.

Alvarez should not have been removed for BADrosian.

Double amen, brother

I'm assuming the bullpen would average 2-3 runs every three innings (6-9 ERA).  I think that is a rather cynical assumption to make.

As bad as Bedrosian is, his ERA is only 4.02.  1.34 runs per three innings.  Hard to believe, but those are the facts.

2 runs in the 9th inning is catastrophic, over the first three innings, it is not. 

The Angels can recover from a 3-1 deficit when Skaggs/Barria/Heaney etc. come in to pitch in the 4th.  They cannot recover from a 3-1 deficit in innings 7-9, resulting in a walk-off or facing the other team's closer.

56 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I'm assuming the bullpen would average 2-3 runs every three innings (6-9 ERA).  I think that is a rather cynical assumption to make.

As bad as Bedrosian is, his ERA is only 4.02.  1.34 runs per three innings.  Hard to believe, but those are the facts.

2 runs in the 9th inning is catastrophic, over the first three innings, it is not. 

The Angels can recover from a 3-1 deficit when Skaggs/Barria/Heaney etc. come in to pitch in the 4th.  They cannot recover from a 3-1 deficit in innings 7-9, resulting in a walk-off or facing the other team's closer.

Noe Ramirez has managed to have a higher ERA than Badrosian, Noe has been sucking alot lately.

Its like Noe should never be called in unless there is already runners on base since he does better in those situations, when he comes in with bases empty he's more likely to suck.