Chuckster70

Would you make a move for deGrom?

166 posts in this topic

This would obviously be for 2019-2020 and beyond, but with Richards' most likely done for the year and possibly next season, Ohtani's status uncertain, it would be nice to have a guy to lead the rotation ahead of Skaggs, Heaney, Barria and perhaps a FA pitcher next year, to go along with Tropeano, Shoemaker (if he's back), Suarez perhaps, Felix Pena, etc. 

Do you think Canning, Marsh and Jones get it done? Three top 100 prospects for the ace. 

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

This would obviously be for 2019-2020 and beyond, but with Richards' most likely done for the year and possibly next season, Ohtani's status uncertain, it would be nice to have a guy to lead the rotation ahead of Skaggs, Heaney, Barria and perhaps a FA pitcher next year, to go along with Tropeano, Shoemaker (if he's back), Suarez perhaps, Felix Pena, etc. 

Do you think Canning, Marsh and Jones get it done? Three top 100 prospects for the ace. 

Thoughts?

I think that would get it done. And I'm not a guy who usually says that about the proposed trades here. 

But heck no! Not for a pitcher. They get hurt too often. 

I'm reluctant to say yes because we have a lot of good pitchers, but frailty makes me lean toward yes. We need someone who is stalwart and then we can get any offense through free agency.

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

But deGrom is just that good and he's young. 

He's a true #1 guy, something we really couldn't even say about Richards. 

Then he'll be even more depressing on our 60 day DL list. At this point I think it's better to load up on low cost arms and let them duke it out

Pros: Pretty durable so far since 2014 (just one season missing 7-8 starts); high Ks/BBs ratio; club control through 2020

Cons: Seems to be a buy high time as ERA/WHIP much lower than the past two seasons; plus as Arch alluded to, a pitcher's health is hard to gauge 

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Pros: Pretty durable so far since 2014 (just one season missing 7-8 starts); high Ks/BBs ratio; club control through 2020

Cons: Seems to be a buy high time as ERA/WHIP much lower than the past two seasons; plus as Arch alluded to, a pitcher's health is hard to gauge 

There are no guarantees and since he's not injury-prone I think it would be a good bet.

23 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Thoughts?

I'd seriously consider it. There are no guarantees with prospects.

its obviously something to consider, but i would rather not gut the farm progress if were not seriously making a run at something more than a wild card season. 
Were not one ace away from that place so, unless we fill the other concerns i kinda dont see the point. 

18 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I’d rather trade for a hitter under club control through 2020 

this teams offense is bad, some of the suck is masked by Trout but that can only go so far as we have seen

FA may be a better place to get a hitter next offseason. If last year is an indication, FA are becoming cheaper and at shorter contracts with a few exception for the very best. Last season J. D., and  moustakas were bargains.

47 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

....Do you think Canning, Marsh and Jones get it done? Three top 100 prospects for the ace. Thoughts?

I would do that....I don't think the Mets would....

18 minutes ago, floplag said:

its obviously something to consider, but i would rather not gut the farm progress if were not seriously making a run at something more than a wild card season. 
Were not one ace away from that place so, unless we fill the other concerns i kinda dont see the point. 

It's good to have top prospects, but prospects are no guarantee of ML success IE: Cowart was a top prospect at one time. Prospects are also currency to purchase proven talent as well. How much did the Astros give up for Verlander last season? I think deGrom is the same kind of talent, with the same amount of control left before becoming a FA. I can't think of a better pitcher to spend prospects on. 

Posted (edited)

I think we ought to go after a guy like Nick Castellanos and get a legit back end guy like Brad Hand.  Angels with Castellanos and Hand > Angels with DeGrom. 

For the prospects we’re talking about giving up for DeGrom we’re probably pretty close to making deals like Castellanos and Hand happen. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

8 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Of course you go after him. Literally only prospect untouchable is Adell. So we should have enough to get him.. 

I can’t see the Mets GM trading maybe the best pitcher in the league with two years of club control and not getting the best prospect on the other team who is far and above their best prospect. Imagine him having to explain that to his owner/fans..

Just now, 2020worldseries said:

I can’t see the Mets GM trading maybe the best pitcher in the league with two years of club control and not getting the best prospect on the other team who is far and above their best prospect. Imagine him having to explain that to his owner/fans..

The Tigers did last year.

Posted (edited)

I continue to think the primary prospects we should be shopping are Ward and Jones.  Put those guys together with one of the 10-15 guys and get a good every day bat.  

With the way things are going, I’d be extremely wary of trading Canning and Marsh.  Even Suarez.  We need all the good arms we can get and Marsh has such high upside that I fear we’d be selling low on him.  The guy is starting to get it together at IE now and I expect that he’ll continue to increase his stock through the end of the summer.  We should be able to make a deal without touching any of those guys. 

Edited by UndertheHalo