Sign in to follow this  
Torridd

If Ohtani is rusty...

62 posts in this topic

...does it make more sense for him to DH against lefties and start at least 4 times a week? Is there a bigger issue I'm missing?

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

the fact that he can't hit LHP?

I know he's had his issues against lefties, but he was hitting against them earlier in the year.

6 minutes ago, Lou said:

the fact that he can't hit LHP?

Just now, zenmaster said:

.327 average vs RHP

.143 average vs LHP

Not sure 30 AB's is exactly a good barometer for what he can and can't do....kind of like spring training, no?

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Not sure 30 AB's is exactly a good barometer for what he can and can't do....kind of like spring training, no?

But while the Angels are trying to make up ground, they can’t keep sticking him in the lineup just waiting to find out if its a mirage or not.

7 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I know he's had his issues against lefties, but he was hitting against them earlier in the year.

seeing as he's 5-35 with 1 xbh (2b),  I highly doubt it 

5 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Simply watch him.   Valbuena looks 10 times better against a lefty.  

If he had those results but passed the eye test, sure run him out there.   But he flails at sliders from lefties.   His ass goes one way along with his torso, while his hands go meekly towards the ball.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Simply watch him.   Valbuena looks 10 times better against a lefty.  

exactly. when he Ks (13 in 35 AB), it's not even close. pitchers make him look foolish 

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

.421 OPS

if his name wasn't Ohtani, not one person here would be saying he should be in the lineup vs LHP

That wasn't my intent, but is he really that bad against them that he shouldn't see them at all?

Just now, Torridd said:

That wasn't my intent, but is he really that bad against them that he shouldn't see them at all?

if you make your decision based on performance, I would think the answer is obvious. 

don't take this to mean I wouldn't want to ever see him bat vs LHP. I can see the justification for sitting him, however. 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

if you make your decision based on performance, I would think the answer is obvious. 

Pujols is at .173 against LHP....Is that obvious enough?  Calhoun is at .125....where do we draw the line?

Just now, DMVol said:

Pujols is at .173 against LHP before last night....Is that obvious enough?

And yet he looks 100 times better.  Albert also has an entire career showing he can hit against lefties.  

Just now, Stradling said:

Albert also has an entire career showing he can hit against lefties.  

Ohtani's #'s where not bad in Japan against lefties...at least Scioscia said that....

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He doesn’t give you the best chance to win if he starts against lefties.   

And Calhoun does?

Just now, Stradling said:

Over Hermosillo yes

Not sure that Calhoun (.125) getting starts vs LHP because we don't have another option in RF (that may be debatable) ought to be the test here....I still think a big part of the problem, beyond the fact that Ohtani hasn't helped himself with poor results vs lefties, is that Pujols can't play 1b everyday and needs to DH at least some (if not most) of the time....That is going to continue to be a problem going forward, particularly if Ohtani can't pitch next year....if he starts hitting LHP, then what do you do?  Bench Albert? I don't know but it potentially is a problem, particularly if Ohtani can't pitch....

25 minutes ago, Lou said:

.421 OPS

if his name wasn't Ohtani, not one person here would be saying he should be in the lineup vs LHP

But he is Ohtani and the potential is there.  I think that at some point you have to explore it and see if you truly have a platoon hitter or you have someone who is full-time.  And again, as bad as Ohtani is versus LHP right now, it's not like we have options that are so much better.  And, we're the team that keeps (until the last few games, at least) starting Valbuena.  It's not like we don't have a history of giving players a shot.

3 minutes ago, Glen said:

But he is Ohtani and the potential is there.  I think that at some point you have to explore it and see if you truly have a platoon hitter or you have someone who is full-time.  And again, as bad as Ohtani is versus LHP right now, it's not like we have options that are so much better.  And, we're the team that keeps (until the last few games, at least) starting Valbuena.  It's not like we don't have a history of giving players a shot.

22 minutes ago, Lou said:

don't take this to mean I wouldn't want to ever see him bat vs LHP. I can see the justification for sitting him, however. 

vs LHP:

Albert has 5 HRs and 1 2b while striking out 19.1% of the time 

Ohtani has 0 HRs and 1 2b while striking out 37.4% of the time