tdawg87

Can someone please explain Mookie Betts to me

67 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, krAbs said:

I can't wait till next year when Betts isn't really a factor anymore, and we are all wondering if Vladdy Jr. is the next Trout. Or the year after that, and Vladdy is going into a sophomore slump, seeing who next will be able to barely keep up with Trout for one year.

And that’s what makes Trout, Trout. He does it every year. If Betts can do that, he can enter the conversation. But as of now, it’s just an amazing year, like Harper had. 

Although, like IP mentioned, Betts has averaged 7.4 WAR the last three years. It’s not Trout, but damn, he’s amazing.

We shall see what happens going forward.

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok you are selling a newspaper, do you want to talk about Betts or an injured Trout who was just placed on the DL?

Can i not comment on the fickle nature of the media?  is that not allowed?  I guess i missed that memo

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

Can i not comment on the fickle nature of the media?  is that not allowed?  I guess i missed that memo

Of course you can.   Sorry I asked a question related to your post, on a message board designed to have interaction.   Maybe Chuck will let you write a blog so you don’t have to worry about someone asking you a question.   

Based on his short stature and minimal frame I strongly suspect PEDs. But this is also a reflection of being suspicious of teams playing Boston. Whether it be The old Boston Gardens having dead spots on its floor and purposefully creating an awful atmosphere in the visitors locker room, or Ortiz - and other Red Sox players using PEDs, Boston has proven to get creative in an effort to win. This doesn’t even consider the two other reasons for Betts’ numbers:  he’s very good on contact and fenway loves a high pop fly to left. This has been mastered by Betts. 

31 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Of course you can.   Sorry I asked a question related to your post, on a message board designed to have interaction.   Maybe Chuck will let you write a blog so you don’t have to worry about someone asking you a question.   

probably right along side yours on how to make friends and influence people.  

Jesus, you guys are terrible.  I hate the red sox but Betts has been fantastic for years now.

PEDs?  Our quarter billion dollar HOF statue checks off practically every box of the PED sterotype, and people here go crazy if its written.

Yeah I hope the Red Sox crash and burn in the playoffs but Betts has been a damn good player since his first full season in 2015 when he was 22.  Runner up MVP at the age of 23, 6th last year and right now he's gotta be leading the pack.  Last year was a let down compared to 2016 but he's shown this year that 2016 wasn't a fluke.  Doesn't mean he'll keep up this pace but he's done a lot more than Judge to warrant the comparisons to Trout.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Yea, I’m sorry I made you a victim,

again.  

hardly, but if it makes you feel big to think so you go right ahead.  lol

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

hardly, but if it makes you feel big to think so you go right ahead.  lol

I was going by your reaction sweetie.  You always come across like you’re being attacked. It’s very obvious why the media has moved on from Trout, bad team, injured team, and he’s not playing.  

5 hours ago, krAbs said:

Exactly my point. This year they are similar. But for career OPS+..

Trout is 174

Betts is 131

Betts is still fantastic, but this is a very different picture.

I wouldn’t use career anything when comparing players. Its a what have you done for me lately kinda thing.

A fine example would be Mang who has a career OPS+ of 150. Using your rationale, Mang > Betts.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I was going by your reaction sweetie.  You always come across like you’re being attacked. It’s very obvious why the media has moved on from Trout, bad team, injured team, and he’s not playing.  

Sweetie?  Well, you know where you can shove that and your victim bullshit. 
im sure Tdawg would help if you cant make it fit

Mookie Betts is really good at baseball.

fWAR Leaders, 2015-18

1. Mike Trout 33.4

2. Mookie Betts 26.0

3. Kris Bryant 22.8

4. Jose Altuve 22.6

5. Francisco Lindor 22.2

So yeah...Mookie is a truly great player, better than everyone other than Trout over the last four years, the span he's been full-time.

^Another way to put that is that if the 21st century Mickey Mantle had decided to be a weather man, Mookie would be the leading candidate for best player in baseball.

2016-18 closes the gap a bit:

1. Mike Trout 24.1

2. Mookie Betts 21.2

3. Jose Ramirez 19.0