Sign in to follow this  
Vladdylonglegs

Super nerds are killing baseball

60 posts in this topic

I miss the days when players would just play and people were happy watching what was going on on the field rather than crunching numbers and watching the game thru statistical data. I remember Vlad didn't work with hitting coaches, he just went up there and hit. Now every swing is an overthought, complex science of launch angles.

There's also a case to be made that with strength training and maple bats the players have outgrown the stadiums. Too many players can hit home runs now not to use that as the mainstay of your offense. You either make it harder to hit home runs or get used to watching slow pitch softball

They did "Tiger" proof golf courses because people starting hitting 350 yard drives etc. players w or with out PEDs will naturally be getting stronger. 

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

yah.  I remember when people were stupid too.  

the current game isn't what it will be 10 year from now.  5 yrs from now.  

let it evolve.  

some players are in the wrong place at the wrong time.  it boggles my mind that Jayson Werth has a complaint.  A guy with a 117 ops+ and 29 WAR who made 136 million dollars.  

One hundred and thirty six million dollars. 

I don't care if he's right.  

close. your. mouth.  douchebag.  

I never get this argument.  If he is right, then he is right.  Whether he is a douchebag or not.  Now I don't know if he is correct, but I am guessing there is some validity to his comments.

Regardless, baseball is not as interesting as it has been in the past.  Maybe it is for guys who love stats and fantasy baseball, but definitely not for the common fan.  That is showing in ratings and attendance.

2 minutes ago, Jobu said:

Fans Following Boring Team Think Whole Sport is Boring

Meh, maybe but that doesn't explain the overall drop in ratings and attendance in the MLB.

I'm sure my point of view is tainted by the Angels right now but I don't think that explains all of it.

6 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Meh, maybe but that doesn't explain the overall drop in ratings and attendance in the MLB.

I'm sure my point of view is tainted by the Angels right now but I don't think that explains all of it.

You're not wrong. I believe you and I are about the same age. This isn't the same game we grew up with. Some great players doing some great things but also a whole lot of 3-2 counts and way too much time watching posers adjust their batting gloves or rub down new balls.

8 hours ago, TroutField said:

I mean it’s kinda true. It has become a sport full of homeruns and strikeouts. To me, that isn’t fun baseball. 

I enjoy watching a team do the little things well and manufacture runs rather than waiting around for the homers. 

So..  Mike Scioscia style baseball...   

1 hour ago, mtangelsfan said:

Regardless, baseball is not as interesting as it has been in the past.  Maybe it is for guys who love stats and fantasy baseball, but definitely not for the common fan.  That is showing in ratings and attendance.

Three outcome baseball is equally boring when it comes to stats...    Station to station baseball is boring as all hell.  

Jayson Werth can't hit anymore, and that's nobody's fault but Jayson Werth and age. His comments beyond the headline are quite vitriolic and really just read like a guy projecting his failures on to others.

Lots of teams saw the Astros and Cubs tank for years to make championship runs and are using that excuse to field cheap and awful teams while continuing to collect benefits from tax subsidized stadiums and fat media deals. That's boring. I don't really think "nerds" came up with that strategy.

I think there's some truth to what Werth is saying, but it's a bit dramatic to say that sabernerds are "killing" baseball. In 1998, I'm sure there were fans and players lamenting that the MLB just isn't the same as it was in 1985. In 2035, there will be fans and players reminiscing about the good ol' days: 2018. 

13 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I think there's some truth to what Werth is saying, but it's a bit dramatic to say that sabernerds are "killing" baseball. In 1998, I'm sure there were fans and players lamenting that the MLB just isn't the same as it was in 1985. In 2035, there will be fans and players reminiscing about the good ol' days: 2018. 

The only people who watch baseball will be long dead by 2035.

15 minutes ago, Taylor said:

It won't be Angels fans.

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

yah.  I remember when people were stupid too.  

the current game isn't what it will be 10 year from now.  5 yrs from now.  

let it evolve.  

some players are in the wrong place at the wrong time.  it boggles my mind that Jayson Werth has a complaint.  A guy with a 117 ops+ and 29 WAR who made 136 million dollars.  

One hundred and thirty six million dollars. 

I don't care if he's right.  

close. your. mouth.  douchebag.  

Let it evolve ...  what do you imagine is going to happen ? 

If anyone wants to watch good old fashioned 80s style baseball then look no further than Pac 12 baseball. Starters go 120 pitches, no one hits a HR, and there are more bunts than you can shake an aluminum stick at.