Erstad Grit

How about all-in on Corbin?

Should Corbin be Angels' priority?   

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbin be Angels' priority?

90 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, krAbs said:

I think so...His velocity is a bit down this year, but he has still been effective, and he is young so the velo shouldn't be an aging problem or anything...what's his injury history like?

It seems like we need to pick up a front of the rotation guy, a mid rotation 'innings eater' type, and an impact infield bat. Maybe a pen arm or two as well. Prospects should be able to cover the rest of our needs. For the front of the rotation arm, Corbin seems like the best bet.

Also, I believe we have some money to burn next year.

I'm reading "velocity down a bit this year" and can't comprehend wanting to get someone already showing signs of decline/injury.  I mean, we do a plenty good enough job injuring perfectly healthy pitchers, how does this end well?? 

OK, I may be admittedly scarred by our pitching DL from every of the last 4 years. You may be right, but yeah, I can't get there. 

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Not arguing that we dont need a closer, but theres really no point to signing one if we dont get leads in the 8th and 9th.

Currently our SP staff is heaney and barria.

Ohtani is a ? For next year. Skaggs is likely fine, but in no way a poster boy for good health. But im sure he's here for next year, so we have him, heaney and barria.

Then who? 

I would take a look at guys like Tyson Ross and Francisco Liriano on short term deals, maybe even 1 year deals. Those would be depth signings and not the front of the rotation guys.

I think Fletcher, Ward, and Arcia will continue to play well. Briceno and Rengifo might impress in September. The outfield is set, and there is plenty of competition in the infield, I don't think we need an expensive bat.

FA pitchers are what they are.  We are not likely to get a 26 y/o FA on the open market anytime soon.  As it is,  it’s probably a tall order to pull down Corbin.  Disqualifying a guy like Corbin because he’s 29 basically means you don’t want to sign any FA ever.  It’s the nature of it.  I’d be happy with either Keuchel or Corbin.  I think 15 million aav for Corbin  is decent. 

The down tick in velocity is concerning, but I haven’t read much about it so I don’t really have an opinion on that.  Corbin has been very good this year though, that’s for sure. 

I cant comprehend why anyone would want Ross or Liriano.  The Angels have no lack of speculative back end types in house.  I still think the main problem is the line up.  I’m not in the crowd that is convinced that we have legitimate everyday players in Fletcher, Ward.  Certainly not with Arica and Briceno.  If we can get one of those guys to prove to be decent everyday players that would be good.  More then 1 great.  

They need a bat and ideally a SP.  We’ll see. 

9 hours ago, 101halo said:

I'm reading "velocity down a bit this year" and can't comprehend wanting to get someone already showing signs of decline/injury.  I mean, we do a plenty good enough job injuring perfectly healthy pitchers, how does this end well?? 

OK, I may be admittedly scarred by our pitching DL from every of the last 4 years. You may be right, but yeah, I can't get there. 

Sure - but the way I see it, we have 3 ways of getting pitching: 1. we can develop it from within (Barria will be this next year, and hopefully Canning will as well); 2. we can trade for it (Eppler may be able to pull this off, and has shown a propensity for doing this well; but its a process with a lot of moving parts, and its very hard for fans to really predict or even reasonably speculate about trades - and to get a front of the rotation starter, we will have to pay in prospects); 3. we can sign a FA (IMO this is the most clear path that fans can talk about - its not so hard to predict likely sums of money it will take to get it done, and we can just evaluate the player in a vacuum). In that category, Corbin is the one who stands out. It seems to me like Keuchel and Kershaw have similar injury concerns. Morton/Cahill may be interesting options, though neither of them are all that exciting - IMO they both profile as more mid rotation arms.

Kinda one of those situations where its easy to say we need a front of the rotation starter, but a lot harder to actually even find one that makes sense. Most are either going to be on good teams who aren't going to give them up, or are free agents with real question marks.

2 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

Corbin isn’t good enough for All In

Amirite @Angel Oracle

I think I'm missing the punch line here, getting old.    

Anyway, he's a lefty who's been durable aside from the one TJS, and on pace for 200 innings this season after 189 innings in 2017.   He's also doesn't turn 30 until next July.

His command has blossomed this season, 1.03 WHIP so far.    He's also K'ing more batters than ever, 190/37 Ks/BBs (5/1 ratio).   

Intriguing background lends to his maybe pitching into his late 30s.   He didn't pitch until his junior year in HS, and thus there is NOT a ton of wear and tear on his arm.

The money is the one concern, given the lack of healthy and very solid starting pitchers.    It would give the Halos THREE LHP starters.   Is that a concern, going forward? 

16 hours ago, popo85 said:

Can someone make a list of top FA pitchers both starters/relief 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/2018-19-mlb-free-agents.html

Starting Pitchers

Madison Bumgarner (29)  — $12MM club option
Trevor Cahill (31)
Carlos Carrasco (32) — $9MM club option with a $663K buyout
Jesse Chavez (35)
Bartolo Colon (46)
Patrick Corbin (29)
Marco Estrada (35)
Nathan Eovaldi (29)
Doug Fister (35) — $4.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Jaime Garcia (32) — $10MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Gio Gonzalez (33)
Miguel Gonzalez (35)
Cole Hamels (35) — $20MM club/vesting option with a $6MM buyout
Jason Hammel (36) — $12MM mutual option with a $2MM buyout
J.A. Happ (36)
Matt Harvey (30)
Jeremy Hellickson (32)
Derek Holland (32)
Hisashi Iwakuma (35)
Scott Kazmir (35)
Clayton Kershaw (31) — can opt out of remaining two years, $65MM
Dallas Keuchel (31)
Tim Lincecum (35)
Francisco Liriano (35)
Jordan Lyles (28) — Club option TBD with a $250K buyout
Lance Lynn (32)
Brandon McCarthy (35)
Matt Moore (30)  — $10MM club option with a $750K buyout
Charlie Morton (35)
Wily Peralta (30) — $3MM club option with a $25K buyout
Martin Perez (28) — $7.5MM club option with a $750K buyout
Drew Pomeranz (30)
David Price (33) — can opt out of remaining four years and $127MM
Garrett Richards (31)
Tyson Ross (32)
Hyun-Jin Ryu (32)
CC Sabathia (38)
Chris Sale (30) — $15MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Anibal Sanchez (35)
Ervin Santana (36) — $14MM club/vesting option
Hector Santiago (31)
James Shields (37) — $16MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Chris Tillman (31)
Josh Tomlin (34)
Adam Wainwright (37)

Right-Handed Relievers

Cody Allen (30)
John Axford (36)
Tony Barnette (35)
Matt Belisle (39)
Joaquin Benoit (41)
Blaine Boyer (37)
Brad Brach (33)
Santiago Casilla (38)
Jesse Chavez (35)
Tyler Clippard (34)
Randall Delgado (29)
Jeurys Familia (29)
Kelvin Herrera (29)
Greg Holland (33)
Daniel Hudson (32)
Kevin Jepsen (34)
Jim Johnson (36)
Nate Jones (33) — $555K club option
Shawn Kelley (35)
Joe Kelly (31)
Craig Kimbrel (31)
Brandon Kintzler (34) — $10MM club option/$5MM player option
Tim Lincecum (35)
Francisco Liriano (35)
Ryan Madson (38)
Zach McAllister (31)
Mark Melancon (34) — can opt out of remaining two years and $28MM
Peter Moylan (40)
Bud Norris (34)
Seung Hwan Oh (36) — $2.5MM club/vesting option with a $250K buyout
Adam Ottavino (33)
David Phelps (32)
A.J. Ramos (32)
David Robertson (34)
Fernando Rodney (42) — $4.25MM club option for the 2019 season
Sergio Romo (36)
Fernando Salas (34)
Joakim Soria (35) — $10MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Junichi Tazawa (33)
Shawn Tolleson (31)
Carlos Torres (36)
Adam Warren (31)
Blake Wood (33)
Brad Ziegler (39)

Left-Handed Relievers

Jerry Blevins (35)
Zach Britton (31)
Jorge De La Rosa (38)
Jake Diekman (32)
Sean Doolittle (32) — $6MM club option with a $500K buyout
Zach Duke (36)
Francisco Liriano (35)
Boone Logan (34) — $4.125MM club option with a $625K buyout
Andrew Miller (34)
Robbie Ross (30)
Marc Rzepczynski (33)
Hector Santiago (31)
Tony Sipp (35)
Justin Wilson (31)

The Skanks could be hurting for pitching.   Lynn, Happ, and Sabathia are all FAs getting up there in years.   Gray is a flop.  

That leaves truly just Severino and a declining Tanaka.   With only Ellsbury being a bad contract, I can see them throwing big money at Corbin.

Plus New Skankee Stadium is a blessing for LHPs with the deep LF/LCF area.

Sign Keuchel;

trade for Arenado;

sign a smaller bullpen arm;

trade Cozart for whatever we  can get for salary relief; and

then watch us be contenders again. 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Corbin will likely be the best available free agent starter, unless Kershaw opts out. Think 5/$100MM, not 5/$40MM.

If the Skanks get involved, could be as high as 6 years/$150 million?   Or 5 years/$125 million?