tdawg87

AL MVP

63 posts in this topic

First off, I hope everyone on the Red Sox gets AIDS. 

I just wanted to point out that JD Martinez is currently T-1st in HR, 1st in RBI, and 2nd in AVG. Now, he's played the majority of his games at DH. But what if that turd burgling thunderc*nt wins the Triple Crown? 

Does he automatically get the MVP award? Does he steal votes away from Betts, allowing Trout to slide in and get it? Does everyone in Boston hate brown people?

I kind of hope he does get it just so it creates this conundrum. I also hope he has unprotected anal sex with Magic Johnson, but that's a story for another time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a serious note, I have said before that Trout's only real chance of winning MVP is if JD steals some votes from Betts. We could end up with a scenario like so (now that Ramirez seems out):

Trout 11

Betts 10

Martinez 6

Ramirez 2

Bregman 1

That said, I think Betts wins it. The only way I think it swings to Trout if JD both wins the Triple Crown and Trout goes nuts the last two weeks. Then we might see the above scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

First off, I hope everyone on the Red Sox gets AIDS. 

I just wanted to point out that JD Martinez is currently T-1st in HR, 1st in RBI, and 2nd in AVG. Now, he's played the majority of his games at DH. But what if that turd burgling thunderc*nt wins the Triple Crown? 

Does he automatically get the MVP award? Does he steal votes away from Betts, allowing Trout to slide in and get it? Does everyone in Boston hate brown people?

I kind of hope he does get it just so it creates this conundrum. I also hope he has unprotected anal sex with Magic Johnson, but that's a story for another time.

If recent history means anything then winning a triple crown is automatic MVP, no matter what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

I think Trout gets second. Betts has won it already. He has been better than Trout on a first place team.

How has he been better? I think he has a higher bWAR, but that's about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun with numbers

Mike Trout ranks first in all of baseball despite missing a month due to injury in the following categories: Offensive WAR, OBP, OPS, Base on Balls, Adjusted OPS+, Adjusted Batting Runs, Adjusted Wins, Times on Base, Offensive Win %, Intentional Base on Balls, and WPA. 

The most impressive among these has to be times on base and intentional walks. He misses a month and Betts and Martinez still haven't reached base as many times as he has. He's that much better than the guys that will win MVP.  This says more about the Angels, but despite missing a month, they'll still choose not to pitch to him more often than anyone in baseball. 

Furthermore, Trout ranks second in REW, RE24, SB%, runs created and WAR. And a handful of those he'll be first in by the end of the year.

Put it like this, had he not missed a month, Trout's current pace would've put him at over 11 WAR with a couple weeks left to go in the season. Meaning he would've had an outside shot at a 12 win season. Had he actually hit above his norms during that missed month, Trout would've had a legitimate shot at eclipsing Babe Ruth's 1927 campaign. That's how much better he is than everyone else in the majors.

And to top it all off, Trout still ranks in the top 10 in batting average, slugging percentage, home runs, power speed, and at bats per HR.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as all the fishwrap talking heads are talking about Betts, i think JD being primary DH takes him out of it unless hes the clear runaway, which he isnt. 
Trout will be a distant third at best, or perhaps close due to JD getting some consolidation votes.  His days of getting a pass on bad teams are over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trout is 65th in RBIs and 12th in Runs 

This is no fault on him but this will be why he won’t win. Trout is the best all around player in the game ... no doubt.

When Trout won MVP in 2014 & 2016 he was the Runs leader and near the top in RBIs. He was 1st in Runs and 2nd in RBIs in 2014. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Trout is 65th in RBIs and 12th in Runs 

This is no fault on him but this will be why he won’t win. Trout is the best all around player in the game ... no doubt.

When Trout won MVP in 2014 & 2016 he was the Runs leader and near the top in RBIs. He was 1st in Runs and 2nd in RBIs in 2014. 

in before someone misses your point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trouts the best player in baseball he just plays for a team that is hot garbage.  If he played for a team that wasn't 20 games out of first it would be a different story. That being said he wont sniff MVP this season. One of the Boston guys will win and should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Trouts the best player in baseball he just plays for a team that is hot garbage.  If he played for a team that wasn't 20 games out of first it would be a different story. That being said he wont sniff MVP this season. One of the Boston guys will win and should.

Agreed

You could make a case for Alex Bergman for MVP who dominates all Astros stats . I’m not sure the Astros would be the division leader this season without him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bregman is getting more attention, and deservedly so. he's had a terrific year and has helped keep the astros in first while they missed time from altuve and correia.

i think jd martinez will win.

trout is clearly the best player in the league, but he has not been the most valuable player this season, not by a long shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there is no formula for MVP voting.  The criteria changes every year.  

I'm not normally inclined to believe in lineup protection.  But I have a hard time believing that the presence of JD Martinez behind Mookie Betts doesn't make Betts a better hitter.  

There is no reason to pitch to Trout.  Which is part of the reason he leads the league in walks.  He probably still would with a better hitter behind him, but I do think it would make him better.  

I am not sure why people think guys from the same team split votes though.  Why would someone who thinks that a triple crown winner should get votes be more likely to switch from Betts vs. Trout.  

That said, I think Betts wins going away this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

First off, I hope everyone on the Red Sox gets AIDS. 

I just wanted to point out that JD Martinez is currently T-1st in HR, 1st in RBI, and 2nd in AVG. Now, he's played the majority of his games at DH. But what if that turd burgling thunderc*nt wins the Triple Crown? 

Does he automatically get the MVP award? Does he steal votes away from Betts, allowing Trout to slide in and get it? Does everyone in Boston hate brown people?

I kind of hope he does get it just so it creates this conundrum. I also hope he has unprotected anal sex with Magic Johnson, but that's a story for another time.

Those stats also puts him into the Gold Glove conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now