Sign in to follow this  
ThomasSutpen

Sign Bartolo Colon this offseason

26 posts in this topic

Once upon a time, a late-career Warren Spahn faced off against an early-career Juan Marichal in a clash of Braves versus Giants. Spahn was a true legend of the game by this point and Marichal, anxious to affirm his own talent, viewed the game as an opportunity to truly measure up. Flash forward until the late innings, and we have ourselves a legit pitcher's duel. The Giants are going to take Marichal out of the game but he knows that Spahn isn't coming out, so Marichal outright refuses to do so, putting himself in a bit of career jeopardy he himself would later admit, but it was game on. The game went to extra innings, but neither pitcher came out. Marichal couldn't believe this old man could just keep plowhorsing like this, and he was done and out of gas himself with his rep on the line showing up the skip like that, so he went to Willie Mays and said bro help me out here. Willie proceeded to win the game with a bomb.

Following the game, Marichal and Spahn had a quick chat and Spahn ended up giving Marichal all of his secrets to career longevity - his offseason fitness routine, his in-season throwing regimine, his stretching exercises, diet, you name it. Marichal soaked it all up and applied it to his own craft, and lasted long enough in his own career that he went down as the all-time winningest Dominican-born pitcher.

Until a young cat by the name of Bartolo Colon hit the scene. Bartolo is a big time boss and he is also an excellent player and deserves nothing but praise, but Bartolo has been on a mission more important than all that fan-fare and HR-hitting GIF action, and that is to surpass Juan Marichal's wins record. He needs a starting gig next year to get there and it will be done. Out of respect for Warren Spahn, I say that Arte should sign Bartolo to a one-year deal and also erect him his own scoreboard to track his progress contemporaneously Who amongst you wouldn't buy tickets for a big Bart start with history and legacy on the line each outing?

Trout would have something to actually play for for once, at least when big Bart dog's turn in the rotation came up. Imagine what a motivated Trout could do. And we need the innings let's be honest. Our mound has seen more mutilated arms than Omaha Beach.

3 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

The Angels already gone the route of signing over priced, over the hill players. Many times, and rarely worked out.

you say rarely, and not never, because one time they did it and his name was BARTOLO COLON and he won the MF'ing 2005 AL Cy Young baby let's reignite that ignition.

It would be easy to sluff off this thread and respond NO WAY.

But look at the Halos rotation this year and how it fared.........could an age defying Bartolo Colon have helped the Halos during 2018?

Could we have (and did we do) done worse?

So, I'd say -- if it's an incentive laden one year contract -- why not?

Bartolo Colon wants to pitch one more season (at least) at the MLB level to be the Dominican Republican born pitcher with the career most IP -- I think I read/ saw that somewhere.

He only needs something like 50 innings pitched in 2019 to reach that status -- he was close to reaching it this year but with about 5.5 IP per game was projected to fall about 50 IP short.

Look, the Halos are not going to be contenders in 2019 -- it's a sort of a kind of (not sure what you'd call it) 'rebuilding year / transition year.

So for the right price -- why not? And yes if this does happen (likely won't) Bartolo Colon will start a game and get absolutely hammered. Then he'll start another game and take a quality start into the sixth inning which is all that would be asked of him to do..........

He gets his 10 to 12 starts, pitches those 50 IP and perhaps calls it a career.

(although Colon may be one those guys who pitches in the Mexican League for another five plus years -- Fernando Valenzuela continued pitching in the Mexican League for a number of years after his last MLB game and sometimes stellar MLB career.

19 minutes ago, disarcina said:

he's got the wins total number - -it's the career IP number that's reference in my post.

thank you sir. in the olden days, there were people employed to read through my ramblings with a fine-toothed comb, 'fact-checking' as it was called, and things like this would get fixed ahead of time.

21 hours ago, ThomasSutpen said:

you say rarely, and not never, because one time they did it and his name was BARTOLO COLON and he won the MF'ing 2005 AL Cy Young baby let's reignite that ignition.

He was only 31 in 2005.

19 hours ago, Blarg said:

Just when you thought old Thom had lost his marbles you realize everything else is gone as well. 

I don’t know about that.

Thom Racina published an interesting book in the 1970s, The Great Los Angeles Blizzard.