Sign in to follow this  
Dtwncbad

Decision on Next Manager

75 posts in this topic

I wonder how quickly the Angels will move on this.

If the person they want is available, it makes sense to move fast so you don't lose the person you want to another team.

If the process lags, maybe it suggests their primary target is not officially available yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I wonder how quickly the Angels will move on this.

If the person they want is available, it makes sense to move fast so you don't lose the person you want to another team.

If the process lags, maybe it suggests their primary target is not officially available yet?

They'll probably interview all the internals over the next month, and I imagine Joe Espada (HOU) might pop in once the Astros are out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Or as Eppler said he is going in with an open mind and will interview people inside and outside of the organization.   There’s really no way of knowing if his ideals line up with guys from outside the organization unless they worked with him in NY.  

Yes exactly.  But if they are going to wait to talk to someone like Espada, does it suggest at all that they are not fully comfortable with any if the people they could hire now?

Seems like there are many viable candidates that the Angels have had more than enough time to evaluate. . .

I am just wondering if they don't move quickly on someone they can hire now, does it mean none of them are their first choice and they have to wait to take a run at their first choice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Do they want to have a manager in place before free agency begins?  I think they should.

That’s possible.  Free agency starts like a week after the last game of the World Series.  So if they want to interview a guy that’s still in the playoffs they’ll have to make a quick decision at that point.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Yes exactly.  But if they are going to wait to talk to someone like Espada, does it suggest at all that they are not fully comfortable with any if the people they could hire now?

Seems like there are many viable candidates that the Angels have had more than enough time to evaluate. . .

I am just wondering if they don't move quickly on someone they can hire now, does it mean none of them are their first choice and they have to wait to take a run at their first choice?

In my opinion it isn’t about being comfortable nearly as much as it is picking what you perceive as the very best candidate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Yes exactly.  But if they are going to wait to talk to someone like Espada, does it suggest at all that they are not fully comfortable with any if the people they could hire now?

Seems like there are many viable candidates that the Angels have had more than enough time to evaluate. . .

I am just wondering if they don't move quickly on someone they can hire now, does it mean none of them are their first choice and they have to wait to take a run at their first choice?

I'm sure both the other internal candidates, and the front office, understand that an external candidate like Espada simply can't be interviewed until his schedule permits, and it doesn't influence the final answer one way or another. 

And I have a feeling most of these internal candidates - Chavez, Ausmus, Paul, maybe even Johnson, Ebel, Griffin - all had at least some understanding that there would be a chance Scioscia would be out for 2019, they'd be 'competing' against each other for the spot, and that there'd be external candidates as well. 

It's really not that different from any other job interview. There's an timeframe, all applicants interview in that span based on their availability, and then perhaps a second round of interviews once that first round is whittled down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Luke Walton was still on the side line of GSW to finish their playoff run after being hired to coach the Lakers the following season.   Or am i misremembering that?

Sure did:

"He'll assume his responsibilities once the Warriors' current playoff run is over."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/04/29/lakers-hire-luke-walton-next-head-coach/83735158/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, totdprods said:

They'll probably interview all the internals over the next month, and I imagine Joe Espada (HOU) might pop in once the Astros are out. 

You mean once the Stros when the Series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Luke Walton was still on the side line of GSW to finish their playoff run after being hired to coach the Lakers the following season.   Or am i misremembering that?

Basketball and baseball have completely different rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blarg said:

Basketball and baseball have completely different rules. 

Yes, but last year Alex Cora interviewed with the Red Sox during the post season when the Astros were still in the playoffs.  From the article I read it looks like he interviewed on October 15th and game 7 was on November 1st.  So while they have completely different rules, interviewing coaches during the post season isn’t one of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lou said:

I've decided that I don't care who is named the next manager 

you don't need to because i already told you guys it is going to be espada. so, just chill and let the rivers run.

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the Angel manager job may, to some degree, be considered more appealing compared to some others considering the Angels showed they would stick with Scioscia for an extended period of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • AngelsWin.com Ad-free Membership Options