Sign in to follow this  
Vladdylonglegs

Redskins vs Saints crushed NYY/BOS playoff game by 6 million viewers

88 posts in this topic

I don’t know how many times I’ve read this reaction in the last 30 years.   Baseball is still here.  If you wanted to state the obvious and say baseball is in a period of decline, fine.  To say baseball is past the point of no return, yea that’s hyperbole.  Also I’m sure we could say football is in big trouble with their drop in prime time ratings.   My guess is sports viewership as a whole is dropping because stuff like this is cyclical. 

25 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t know how many times I’ve read this reaction in the last 30 years.   Baseball is still here.  If you wanted to state the obvious and say baseball is in a period of decline, fine.  To say baseball is past the point of no return, yea that’s hyperbole.  Also I’m sure we could say football is in big trouble with their drop in prime time ratings.   My guess is sports viewership as a whole is dropping because stuff like this is cyclical. 

Youth like and play football. Football won't be in real trouble until that changes. Youth don't like or play baseball as much anymore. That's where the big danger is. Baseball is dying.

1 minute ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Youth like and play football. Football won't be in real trouble until that changes. Youth don't like or play baseball as much anymore. That's where the big danger is. Baseball is dying.

Then I guess soccer will finally become big in the US since more kids play that in the US than ever before.  

Also if you want to see decline look at the decline in youth football participation. 

10 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Aliens are stealing potential baseball players?

1 hour ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Kids play baseball year round in travel leagues. More and more parents are steering their kids away from football because of CTE. 

I really really doubt that there’s any existentially threatening decline in youth baseball participation.  Especially vs. football.  Which has plenty of well publicized problems in that area.

But also, who gives a shit about the MNF ratings.  Wow, people weren’t that interested in a played out storyline non competitive DS series.  One of the games was interesting.  In the 9th inning. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

So many factors here, demographics, geography, politics, etc...  
The NFL has a crap ton of issues right now and is become a dumpster fire.  Its a far inferior product to previous decades and its past sins are coming to light.
Its been dead to me for a couple years now, i spent my weekend watching EPL soccer and such over it in most cases unless there is literally nothing else on and everytime i do watch it i feel like it was wasted time. 
To each their own,  i used to be a monster fan, but anymore it just has no appeal to me.

The popularity of the NFL dwarfs any other sport.

This is a baseball board, of course a large number here prefer baseball.  NBA has become more popular with younger fans.  I've become a huge NFL fan the last few years.  The 17 sundays in the fall are 17 christmases to me.  To each his own.

What everyone can agree on is that the NFL Pro Bowl sucks.

The funniest stat I heard was last spring.  In 2018, there was not an NBA game *until game 4 of the Western Conference Finals* whose rating was better than the Pro Bowl.

This has been happening for a while now. Regular season sports like college football and the NFL are beating postseason baseball by a wide margin. It will be interesting if anything how MLB does baseball playoffs and regular season in the future. Baseballs contract with ESPN is up either this year or next and listening to some insiders, they don't think ESPN will be bidding on that Sunday night baseball contract with out even having a daily show about baseball. Interesting time for baseball to say the least. 

2 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

https://www.aspenprojectplay.org/kids-sports-participation-rates/

CoreParticipation.jpg?format=1000w

So.... based on this..  the number of kids playing baseball dwarfs those playing football.   

I'll be heading out Sunday to Arizona to watch Fall League baseball. With any luck the attendence will not have increased and I can sit behind home plate for $8 a game. The popularity of spring training has made that seat $80. 

3 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Yankees- Red Sox ALDS: 4.41 million viewers

2018 Pro Bowl: 8.6 million viewers

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/01/pro-bowl-ratings-highest-four-years/

12 minutes ago, Adam said:

There are so many reasons the NFL is the most popular sport. It is once a week. It is gambling friendly. You can be an idiot and enjoy it. It's minor league (NCAA Football) is a top tier sport on its own. 

All of these and it's a faster, more action based sport.

But I don't understand why these need to be compared. 

As I child, I played most of the major sports at least a few times, and I was never hurting for teammates, which tells me a vast majority of adults developed similar experiences as I did, and probably like more than just one sport. 

As a result of that, as an adult, I watch more than just baseball.  It never occurred to me that I should care if the rest of the world was watching the same game as me or not. 

3 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Everyone was poised to watch Brees break the all-time passing record. That's history in the making rather than a lone ALDS contest. 

A good chunk of the Red Sox/Yankees fans abroad were probably at the game or a sports bar, rather than their collective homes too. That takes away from individual viewership to hike up the ratings. 

13 minutes ago, calscuf said:

I wonder how much gambling and fantasy football contributes to an average viewer watching a football game in which his/her favorite team is not involved in.

I wonder why hot chicks have more interest from guys than ugly girls do....

Gambling helps the NFL tremendously.

Other sports should work harder to become more gambling-friendly.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Everyone was poised to watch Brees break the all-time passing record.

Nah, I don't buy that. I know that is what espn was selling, but don't buy it a bit.

I'm a huge NFL fan.  I didn't care one bit about some inflation-based record going down.

I bet the ratings the week before, or the week after, for MNF, are comparable.

2 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Nah, I don't buy that. I know that is what espn was selling, but don't buy it a bit.

I'm a huge NFL fan.  I didn't care one bit about some inflation-based record going down.

I bet the ratings the week before, or the week after, for MNF, are comparable.

I pretty much never watch MNF but I watched that game exactly because of Brees and the record.  Great guy, great story.