greginpsca

2018 Hot Stove League

3,592 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Eppler is really being patient.    The majority part of me is fine with that.   The bored with "lack of offense from 3B" part of me is frustrated.

does patient mean not signing any more people this offseason? because it feels like that.

i like the 3 moves we made, i just didn't want them to be all we did. i don't see a significant amount of improvement other than hoping on health and effectiveness. 

12 hours ago, totdprods said:

This was a realization that he was better off going back on the market next year without a QO. After seeing what Moustakas went through last year, this makes all the sense in the world for Grandal. 

Moustakas still doesn't have a multi-year contract. Grandal may have made a very poor career decision turning down the Mets offer.

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Moustakas still doesn't have a multi-year contract. Grandal may have made a very poor career decision turning down the Mets offer.

Pretty sure he’s going to have one as soon as Machado signs. They have reason to be patient right now. He didn’t last year.

And settling for 1/$18.25m five weeks before ST was much betting than Moose’s $6m re-upping as camp started. 

Grandal definitely should’ve taken it. He’ll be fine next season - but still won’t make 4/$60m. Like Moose, he probably gets something like 2/$18m or 3/$33m.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Pretty sure he’s going to have one as soon as Machado signs. They have reason to be patient right now. He didn’t last year.

And settling for 1/$18.25m five weeks before ST was much betting than Moose’s $6m re-upping as camp started. 

Grandal definitely should’ve taken it. He’ll be fine next season - but still won’t make 4/$60m. Like Moose, he probably gets something like 2/$18m or 3/$33m.

They paid a premium to get him for one year, but he’s probably  looking at 3/45 minimum with another good year. 

10 minutes ago, Lou said:

Machado and Harper each want to surpass Stanton's deal. 

So do I. At least one of us will be disappointed. Possibly all three, although I doubt that.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

only if he falls off a literal cliff will he be looking at 9 or 10 million next year. he's going to end up with more money over 4 years than the 60 million he would have got from the mets. he'll just be incurring some injury risk on that money since it's not guaranteed past this year, at the moment.

6 minutes ago, ukyah said:

only if he falls off a literal cliff will he be looking at 9 or 10 million next year. he's going to end up with more money over 4 years than the 60 million he would have got from the mets. he'll just be incurring some injury risk on that money since it's not guaranteed past this year, at the moment.

He’s at the age where catchers do tend to fall off cliffs. Milwaukee, and that lineup, will be a great fit for him, but I’d be surprised if he gets 4/$60m next offseason. 3/$45m-50m maybe.

Jeff PassanVerified account @JeffPassan

Mookie Betts settled with the Boston Red Sox at $20 million, league source familiar with the agreement tells ESPN. A huge number that sets a new standard for 4+ players. His number next year, if he doesn’t work out an extension, could be gargantuan.

9:12 AM - 11 Jan 2019

18 minutes ago, NJHalo said:
Jeff PassanVerified account @JeffPassan
FollowFollow @JeffPassan
More

Mookie Betts settled with the Boston Red Sox at $20 million, league source familiar with the agreement tells ESPN. A huge number that sets a new standard for 4+ players. His number next year, if he doesn’t work out an extension, could be gargantuan.

9:12 AM - 11 Jan 2019

You have to figure that Betts could get pretty close to the money that Trout is going to be asking for. He's the only player that comes even in the same stratosphere as Trout in WAR the last few seasons.

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Intriguing...

Apparently the plan is to use him all over the infield, including 3B.  

I think Machado is out of the running