greginpsca

2018 Hot Stove League

3,591 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I'm still baffled how Harper might get way more money than Machado. As much of a douche as he is, he's a wayyyyyy better player than Harper is. Offensively and defensively. 

sounds like Macahdo is bad teammate.  I really think he limited himself by being a douche.  

Watch the Angels randomly swoop in and sign Machado or Harper just because it took them too long to sign elsewhere. You know that's in the far back of Arte's mind since he loves to do that. Then they interview them afterwards and Eppler says "This has always been our game plan heading into the offseason". Later we trade either Calhoun or Cozart (depending on who we sign) and still find a way to have the AAV under $206M so there's no tax. Pujols announces retirement after 2019 and differs contract to take 30M off the books. Prospects offset the costs in 2020 and suddenly we can still spend on a good starter or bullpen arm. At the end of everything we look back in disbelief...

This is just me saying the Angels are going to do something stupid with money or do something stupid in terms of pretending they're on a budget.... again.  

35 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I'm surprised LeMathieu only got 2 years...

I'm surprised he signed with a team that doesn't have an obvious place to play him, except as a utility infielder....

5 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Harper isn't the best of teammates as well either. Just ask Papelbon or the pitchers he's charged. But i still agree with you.

I think Papelbon has Harper topped in the dbag department. 

Harper's douchiness is overblown, in my opinion. He's an easy target, he's arrogant, he's been immature, but what do you expect from a kid who's been touted as the biggest thing in baseball since he was like, what, 12? I'm not calling him a saint or a clubhouse leader, but I am skeptical that he's as bad as the perception. 

Machado on the other hand...

Edited by totdprods

31 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Am I wrong in thinking that with all these short deals were going to soon see less money per year on these short deals because we will have more free agents each year thus having more supply and the same demand?

Back when Marvin Miller was going at it with ownership on behalf of the players and free agency he argued in favor of six years on control vs allowing players to test free agency sooner because he believed a glut of available players would end up driving salaries down...  If he was right then players will end up worse off.  Man, the next CBA is gonna be fun.

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It's all about ceiling. Machado is obviously the superior player when it comes to being well-rounded offensively and defensively, and at specialized positions, but he's averaged Justin Upton-esque offense in seven season. Very good, and still with a ceiling of .900 - 1.000 OPS in reach, but Harper has shown the ability to go far above that as a peak and land in Mike Trout offensive territory. Barry Bonds, roid-enhanced of course, trended up sharply at 27, and I'm sure many teams think that's still to come.

It's much harder seeing Machado put up a 1.100 OPS and 199 OPS+ like Harper already has once and could easily do consistently through his prime if he gets it together. 

I still think I'd rather have consistently good numbers across the board every season. I don't like the idea of Harper having Ervin Santana like seasons where one year he's great then the next year he sucks. With that being said, If we ever did sign Harper i'd still be happy

1 minute ago, arch stanton said:

Seems they’d put him at second and Torres at short and be done with it 

They did sign Tulo but obviously he isn't a given.....When Gregorious gets back, they have a full house....maybe they still intend to trade Andujar....

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think Papelbon has Harper topped in the dbag department. 

Harper's douchiness is overblown, in my opinion. He's an easy target, he's arrogant, he's been immature, but what do you expect from a kid who's been touted as the biggest thing in baseball since he was like, what, 12? I'm not calling him a saint or a clubhouse leader, but I am skeptical that he's as bad as the perception. 

Machado on the other hand...

I'd expect him to have the mindset that someone his age like Trout does. Someone who knows they are the best player but is also the humblest of players.

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

sounds like Macahdo is bad teammate.  I really think he limited himself by being a douche.  

Yeah that certainly didn't do him any favors. Even when given the opportunity to white lie to the press ahead of a contract he blew it.

3 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I still think I'd rather have consistently good numbers across the board every season. I don't like the idea of Harper having Ervin Santana like seasons where one year he's great then the next year he sucks. With that being said, If we ever did sign Harper i'd still be happy

Except in a bad season Bryce Harper offensively is as good as Justin Upton, which is to date, Machado's average. In a vacuum, I'd prefer Harper. 

1 minute ago, popo85 said:

Where yall think Keuchel ends up?

He is the one guy who I think could fall to us....just not sure he has the market he and his agent expected...we'll see....

3 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I'd expect him to have the mindset that someone his age like Trout does. Someone who knows they are the best player but is also the humblest of players.

Again, Bryce Harper had been the anointed savior of baseball since he was in middle school, fat boying out HRs in rich white boy baseball camps and being hyped up in every way possible. It's a wonder he isn't more of a cartoonish smug supervillain like Bonds became.

Trout was good ol' boyin' it up in bumfuck Jersey, everymannin' it as the son of a failed minor leaguer and going below everyone's radar.

Two very different backgrounds. Bryce is like the Anakin Skywalker to Trout's Luke.

43 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Stanton at 25 mil per is a really good value.  He was at DH last year for the same reason Darin Erstad played 1B for two years.... because the Yankees have a really good group of two way OFers.  Stanton was good for 10 DRS his final year in Miami and 46 for his career.  To put that into perspective, Kole Calhoun's best DRS season was last year when he put up 11, and he's at 51 for his career.  Pretty much all the defensive metrics paint a pretty solid picture of Stanton.... 

He will likely be back in the OF full-time the second Brett Gardner's contract expires.  

He will continue to be tested by the deeper than normal LF/LCF dimensions at home.  

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Again, Bryce Harper had been the anointed savior of baseball since he was in middle school, fat boying out HRs in rich white boy baseball camps and being hyped up in every way possible. It's a wonder he isn't more of a cartoonish smug supervillain like Bonds became.

Trout was good ol' boyin' it up in bumfuck Jersey, everymannin' it as the son of a failed minor leaguer and going below everyone's radar.

Two very different backgrounds. Bryce is like the Anakin Skywalker to Trout's Luke.

Or Harper/Machado is the Lindsey Lohan to Trout's Ron Howard.

23 minutes ago, popo85 said:

Where yall think Keuchel ends up?

To Cincinnati they’d be dangerous if they got some pitching to go along with that offense, kind of like the Angels of the NL

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

He will continue to be tested by the deeper than normal LF/LCF dimensions at home.  

Yeah, but he was used to that at Marlins park, right center goes 392 in Miami... Dude chased everything down.

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Back when Marvin Miller was going at it with ownership on behalf of the players and free agency he argued in favor of six years on control vs allowing players to test free agency sooner because he believed a glut of available players would end up driving salaries down...  If he was right then players will end up worse off.  Man, the next CBA is gonna be fun.

And when Charlie Finley proposed 1 year contracts for EVERYBODY his fellow owners quickly shut him down.  Miller later admitted that that was the one scenario he dreaded most and that if anyone other than Finley had come up with it the owners might actually have taken it seriously.