greginpsca

2018 Hot Stove League

3,509 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Again, Bryce Harper had been the anointed savior of baseball since he was in middle school, fat boying out HRs in rich white boy baseball camps and being hyped up in every way possible. It's a wonder he isn't more of a cartoonish smug supervillain like Bonds became.

Trout was good ol' boyin' it up in bumfuck Jersey, everymannin' it as the son of a failed minor leaguer and going below everyone's radar.

Two very different backgrounds. Bryce is like the Anakin Skywalker to Trout's Luke.

This exactly.  And truly, I'm really glad my antics and growing pains between the ages of 18-25 weren't the stuff of national news.  The fact that Bryce Harper became one of the best ball players of his generation, and potentially a hall of famer if he stays healthy for a long time, instead of the greatest to ever play the game shouldn't be seen as a disappointment, and it certainly shouldn't paint Harper as the bad guy. 

If he ended up signing with the Angels, I guarantee pretty much everyone would instantly become a fan. 

Although I will add one caveat......Anakin in his prime before becoming Darth Vader would've wiped the floor with Luke. 

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Watch the Angels randomly swoop in and sign Machado or Harper just because it took them too long to sign elsewhere. You know that's in the far back of Arte's mind since he loves to do that. 

Can you give me one example of the Angels doing that under Arte?

4 minutes ago, Glen said:

Swooping?  I don't know about that.....maybe Torii Hunter could've been classified as one?  I don't think Albert or Hamilton were a swoop.  Trading for Mark Teixeira was sort of a surprise I guess.  Dan Haren seemed to be one, when the Angels outbid the Yankees at the last minute. 

59 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Back when Marvin Miller was going at it with ownership on behalf of the players and free agency he argued in favor of six years on control vs allowing players to test free agency sooner because he believed a glut of available players would end up driving salaries down...  If he was right then players will end up worse off.  Man, the next CBA is gonna be fun.

the mlbpa would be better off trying to get a higher min and increase arb rates than having less years of control for that very reason. Because draft slots are set, I'd also like to see the ability to trade draft picks come into play.  That would be a very interesting and allow teams to get very creative with players drafted later.  I have to wonder if the NCAA would balk at that though because if more players are jumping to pro ball it would dilute the pool for college.  

I wonder if teams having to pay a penalty for not achieving a minimum payroll would help to fix part of the issues with having too large of a pool.  

12 minutes ago, Second Base said:

This exactly.  And truly, I'm really glad my antics and growing pains between the ages of 18-25 weren't the stuff of national news.  The fact that Bryce Harper became one of the best ball players of his generation, and potentially a hall of famer if he stays healthy for a long time, instead of the greatest to ever play the game shouldn't be seen as a disappointment, and it certainly shouldn't paint Harper as the bad guy. 

If he ended up signing with the Angels, I guarantee pretty much everyone would instantly become a fan. 

Although I will add one caveat......Anakin in his prime before becoming Darth Vader would've wiped the floor with Luke. 

That was always sort of the subtext of the Trout v. Harper storyline though too, that Bryce was going to be the superior player...

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Swooping?  I don't know about that.....maybe Torii Hunter could've been classified as one?  I don't think Albert or Hamilton were a swoop.  Trading for Mark Teixeira was sort of a surprise I guess. 

Vladimir Guerrero maybe would count.I know it came out of nowhere.

9 minutes ago, Glen said:

Not exactly the same scenario, but the Angels pounced on Vlad because everyone was balking due to his back. 

Pujols was surprising, but he seemingly was a big target all along...when you couple it with CJ though, it was quite a statement. 
Hamilton caught me 100% off-guard and he had his share of baggage. Angels took no time going after it quietly there. 

And yeah, the Teixeia, Greinke, and Haren trades, as well as this era's Upton and Simmons deals, all had quite the abruptness to them. 

Truth is, Arte-era Angels really do have a knack for making big, bold moves. And usually not without much indication or expectation from our part. So as unlikely as Harper or Machado are, I do think there is sufficient precedent here that does not rule the Angels lurking on either one.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Eppler is hard at work I'm sure behind the scenes, but damn. It's almost the middle of January and we got shit to do still. 

I strongly believe the Angels are not done, and I don't just mean a minor RP signing or two.

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Eppler is hard at work I'm sure behind the scenes, but damn. It's almost the middle of January and we got shit to do still. 

My fear at this moment today, is that the exact opposite is true.  There is work that could be done, but as we sit our roster is complete.  Anything we do would be an upgrade bumping someone else that im not sure they feel they need to do.  I think the only thing they may be looking at is an experienced reliever to help mature the kids.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Not exactly the same scenario, but the Angels pounced on Vlad because everyone was balking due to his back. 

Pujols was surprising, but he seemingly was a big target all along...when you couple it with CJ though, it was quite a statement. 
Hamilton caught me 100% off-guard and he had his share of baggage. Angels took no time going after it quietly there. 

And yeah, the Teixeia, Greinke, and Haren trades, as well as this era's Upton and Simmons deals, all had quite the abruptness to them. 

Truth is, Arte-era Angels really do have a knack for making big, bold moves. And usually not without much indication or expectation from our part. So as unlikely as Harper or Machado are, I do think there is sufficient precedent here that does not rule the Angels lurking on either one.

He said swooping in and signing somebody because they were taking too long to sign.  I can't recall a single time that happened.  Perhaps Vlad qualifies.  Pujols was signed in early December.  Hamilton was mid-December.  Trades aren't signings.  

3 minutes ago, Glen said:

He said swooping in and signing somebody because they were taking too long to sign.  I can't recall a single time that happened.  Perhaps Vlad qualifies.  Pujols was signed in early December.  Hamilton was mid-December.  Trades aren't signings.  

Guerrero at least certainly qualifies. And even though Pujols and Hamilton happened in mid-December, at that point the number of teams genuinely interested had dropped to only a couple. 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=1704992

The Angels were believed to have entered the bidding for
Guerrero only late last week. On Saturday, he turned down a
three-year offer from the New York Mets that would have paid him
$71 million over five years if he reached incentives.

Edited by totdprods

Just now, Stradling said:

Albert was swooped I thought Hamilton was a swoop job. 

I think he was swooped in that nobody expected the angels to meet the price, but it wasn't because he was sitting on the market waiting. I think Glen is referring to the fact that their market Is apparently cold and nobody has snagged them yet.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Albert was swooped I thought Hamilton was a swoop job. 

Again, those happened by mid-December.  Neither of them was taking too long to sign.  

32 minutes ago, Glen said:

Obviously I’m saying swooping by giving an over exaggerated statement. But we were never known favorites for Pujols and it always felt like we just drove on in a took him away 

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Guerrero at least certainly qualifies. And even though Pujols and Hamilton happened in mid-December, at that point the number of teams genuinely interested had dropped to only a couple. 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=1704992

The Angels were believed to have entered the bidding for
Guerrero only late last week. On Saturday, he turned down a
three-year offer from the New York Mets that would have paid him
$71 million over five years if he reached incentives.

It was a sarcastic scenario not a realistic one so there’s the answer to the confusion......

35 minutes ago, totdprods said:

While on the Vlad discussion, wasn't he one of the latest ever superstar FAs to sign, mid-January 2004?

Harper and Machado have to be getting closer to setting the lateness bar higher.