Sign in to follow this  
fan_since79

The Caravan(s)

297 posts in this topic

i still think there'd be a lot of benefit from having another ellis island sort of place where all immigrants must pass through to enter the country. if there are 2k people trying to get in illegally daily, and then they disappear before being processed or having their case heard, that's a problem. maybe a new ellis island helps take the burden off of the current system somehow.

47 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

They're coming here because wages are ten times what they are in Guatemala. There are also various welfare programs they can access. And plenty of jobs. 

An additional lure is they can automatically apply for asylum, then disappear into the country. Their hearing dates are months or even years away and nobody will know where they went. The system is overwhelmed.

i understand, that does not meet the requirements to apply for asylum.

3 hours ago, floplag said:

i understand, that does not meet the requirements to apply for asylum.

Right, but they know that the government has to process their application and they disappear into the U.S. never to be seen again.

Everyone that enters can begin the application process. They are released with a promise to appear for their hearing, then they vanish. Good luck trying to find them.

That's my understanding of the current situation.

8 hours ago, calscuf said:

I assume he’s a nice guy, but does anyone here think flop is smart?  Asking for a friend.

... you stay classy you sexy beast. 

17 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Right, but they know that the government has to process their application and they disappear into the U.S. never to be seen again.

Everyone that enters can begin the application process. They are released with a promise to appear for their hearing, then they vanish. Good luck trying to find them.

That's my understanding of the current situation.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't meet the conditions necessary for asylum. 

they disappear into the U.S. never to be seen again.

Where is the problem then?  They are coming to kill us or at least take our jobs but now you say they disappear never to be seen again.  Which is it? 

Sounds like the caravan is Houdini. 

MT gave rally a MEOW and that should be reserved for me. 

26 minutes ago, Crampknees said:

they disappear into the U.S. never to be seen again.

Where is the problem then?  They are coming to kill us or at least take our jobs but now you say they disappear never to be seen again.  Which is it? 

Sounds like the caravan is Houdini. 

MT gave rally a MEOW and that should be reserved for me. 

MT gives my posts a MEOW reflexively. It's not something he can control easily.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:46 AM, RallyMo said:

That's all well and good, but it doesn't meet the conditions necessary for asylum. 

Reading comprehension, my friend.

For at least the third time, I said anyone can BEGIN the application process, and if they have a kid with them, they're free to go. Their asylum hearings are months down the line.

On 3/7/2019 at 1:57 AM, calscuf said:

I assume he’s a nice guy, but does anyone here think flop is smart?  Asking for a friend.

On 3/7/2019 at 1:45 PM, RallyMo said:

$20 (paid by @calscuf) to the next person who can get FS79 to explain that same thing again with different verbiage. I'll try. 

On 3/7/2019 at 1:46 PM, RallyMo said:

19 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Reading comprehension, my friend.

For at least the third time, I said anyone can BEGIN the application process, and if they have a kid with them, they're free to go. Their asylum hearings are months down the line.

@calscuf, you can just Venmo me the $20.

19 hours ago, Lou said:

I still don't know what the cat thing signifies.

Worse are the ones where you can't even tell what they are. 

It's supposed to signify a response to a catty (deliberately hurtful in one's remarks; spiteful) post. 

Or, Shut up Rally, you own a cat.