Sign in to follow this  
happybat4

Mauer

18 posts in this topic

He deserves it in my mind. Since the Piazza era, really only he and Molina have stood out in exemplary fashion for a significant period of time behind the plate, and that alone should factor in heavily. 

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

He deserves it in my mind. Since the Piazza era, really only he and Molina have stood out in exemplary fashion for a significant period of time behind the plate, and that alone should factor in heavily. 

Also Posey

5 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

3 batting titles from a catcher is absolutely unheard of. I think he'll get in

Yup - he was so good in his peak it really negates his fairly average - yet still solid - last third of his career. 

from Sickels in 2003:

Joe Mauer is universally regarded as the best catching prospect in baseball. But Angels farmhand Jeff Mathis isn't far behind. I've mentioned him a few times this summer in Down on the Farm mailbags, but it's time to do a full write-up on him. Mathis was drafted with a supplemental first-round pick in 2001, out of high school in Marianna, Florida. Considered athletic but somewhat raw when drafted, he's emerged faster than expected, and more than held his own following an August promotion to Double-A.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

from Sickels in 2003:

Joe Mauer is universally regarded as the best catching prospect in baseball. But Angels farmhand Jeff Mathis isn't far behind. I've mentioned him a few times this summer in Down on the Farm mailbags, but it's time to do a full write-up on him. Mathis was drafted with a supplemental first-round pick in 2001, out of high school in Marianna, Florida. Considered athletic but somewhat raw when drafted, he's emerged faster than expected, and more than held his own following an August promotion to Double-A.

So you're saying that they are both going to the Hall of Fame?

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

from Sickels in 2003:

nathan fielder suicide GIF by Super Deluxe