Sign in to follow this  
Second Base

Rosenthal: Angels looking to shed payroll

177 posts in this topic

my guess is that we'd like to get rid of Kole's contract if there's a taker because Billy thinks he can get similar production from RF for a lot less.  It's not shedding payroll but potentially reallocating it.  

13 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

that elephant has been in the room for a while now.  He's been crashing on Chuck's couch for 3 years.  

I don't appreciate being called an elephant.

I dont read this as ownership trying to pull back on spending.  I read it as the team honestly visiting each contract to make decisions, where efficiency does matter.

When is it not a good idea to take a hard honest look at what contracts are worth what they are producing?

19 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

my guess is that we'd like to get rid of Kole's contract if there's a taker because Billy thinks he can get similar production from RF for a lot less.  It's not shedding payroll but potentially reallocating it.  

Say hello to Michael Brantley?

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Say hello to Michael Brantley?

I don't think so with Adell so close.  Much more likely they go stop gap in a platoon with Herm.  People aren't going to be thrilled about that but I think it's very likely.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

I don't think so with Adell so close.  Much more likely they go stop gap in a platoon with Herm.  People aren't going to be thrilled about that but I think it's very likely.  

I am not sure Brantley is going to get more than a 2 year deal.

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am not sure Brantley is going to get more than a 2 year deal.

you think so?   I was guessing he'd get at least 3.  I think a few teams have been gearing up for Harper and he will be the consolation prize so they'll over spend to get someone at least solid.  

Even still, I think if we clear Kole's money, we'll still go after pitching first.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Id love to hear what thats based on?  Surely nothing currently on the roster so... 
and there is zero chance Brantley gets less in dollars or years, though id love to see that

4 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

I wouldn't mind trading Calhoun for Julio Teheran.

It would take a lot more than Calhoun to get Teheran. The Braves could re-sign Markakis for less than half of Calhouns salary. I agree that the Angels won’t get much for Calhoun unless they eat at least 7-8 mil. Of his contract. Parker could return a prospect just  outside top 30 prospect. I would keep Shoe to see if he is healthy and throwing back to his 2015-16 level. He can always be traded at the deadline. 

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, who’s trading for him?  

Seattle seems like a good destination. The Angels eat all but 500k of his salary. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Morris code seems appropriate 

Perfect lucky for him I just got my certificate for morris code, so hopefully he is up to date as well. 

49 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You’ll be happy to know they are rebuilding. 

With possibly the best position players in the game at 2 spots... what a perfect time for it.  
What a joke...