Sign in to follow this  
Dtwncbad

Anthony Rendon

17 posts in this topic

One of my favorite players, it is hard to not mentally visit a longshot scenario.

There is active talk in DC about extending Rendon, like they did with Strasberg. But it hasn't happened yet.

Wash now has Corbin at $23m, Strasberg at $25m, and Scherzer at $30m and they are still pursuing Harper at what everyone expects to be a staggering number.

If they lose Harper I bet they move quickly to lock up Rendon.  They just signed Corbin and they are still in win now mode.

But if they retain Harper, does Rendon become a trade candidate or do they lock him down too at another $25m a year?

I very well could see the Nats believing the addition of Corbin on the mound and the emergence of Soto offensively puts them in a position to trade Rendon.

But of course my brain travels a path that creates an opportunity for my favorite team to trade for one of my favorite players.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless Rendon absolutely hates playing in Washington I would not anticipate them trading him, particularly when they just signed Corbin which is win-now move. Nationals seem very motivated to extend him in my opinion, even more so than Harper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ettin said:

Unless Rendon absolutely hates playing in Washington I would not anticipate them trading him, particularly when they just signed Corbin which is win-now move. Nationals seem very motivated to extend him in my opinion, even more so than Harper.

I just wonder if signing Corbin, adding that payroll, makes them have to choose between signing Harper and extending Rendon.

We will know soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They appear to be going all in for 2019 so even if they can't or don't extend him I don't see why they would want to move him now when he's under club control for one more year.  If they're out of it as the trade deadline approaches and haven't extend him then it would make sense to move him but not before.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they retain Harper, my guess is they don't extend Rondon. But I don't see them trading him this year.  

I could also see them bringing Harper back and then moving Victor Robles in a package for Trevor Bauer and Kipnis.  

They'll also have Kieboom to take over for Rendon should they not keep him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I just wonder if signing Corbin, adding that payroll, makes them have to choose between signing Harper and extending Rendon.

We will know soon.

Maybe, even the owner Lerner has his limit. Rendon has expressed sincere interest in staying there but you never know the Nationals could flip Rendon and sign Machado for example. There is more than one owner in the League that is in a win-now mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ettin said:

Maybe, even the owner Lerner has his limit. Rendon has expressed sincere interest in staying there but you never know the Nationals could flip Rendon and sign Machado for example. There is more than one owner in the League that is in a win-now mode.

Just out on mlbtraderumors is Nats are saying they are most likely out on getting Harper. . . 

They acknowledge there is more money out there for Bryce and that they expect Harper and Boras to not leave any money on the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Just out on mlbtraderumors is Nats are saying they are most likely out on getting Harper. . . 

They acknowledge there is more money out there for Bryce and that they expect Harper and Boras to not leave any money on the table.

it didn't seem as if they were really interested in a bidding war once he rejected their $300M offer. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can the Nats afford to extend Rendon with  their contracts they already have with Scherzer, Strasburg and Corbin aren’t they a smaller marker team? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CDiaz27🐟 said:

How can the Nats afford to extend Rendon with  their contracts they already have with Scherzer, Strasburg and Corbin aren’t they a smaller marker team? 

No their owner is a billionaire and they have a large market. Money isn't much of an object if Lerner decides he wants something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • AngelsWin.com Ad-free Membership Options