Sign in to follow this  
TroutField

Pujols Retirement and the MLBPA

59 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'd be perfectly happy if the Halos and Pujols agreed on a buyout after 2019 for say $40 million of the $59 million remaining.   If the MLBPA has an issue with that, given his vast decline, then they are the problem. 

If by some miracle the MLBPA didn't object to that, would the amount against the tax threshold per year (2020-2021) decrease?   Or would it still be $29.5 million?  

I find it almost impossible to believe that he could do ANYTHING at age 40 with those knees and feet.

50 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

What is funny is when they signed Pujols he was the one guy in the lineup you would never go to the fridge and miss his at bat (new Angel!  Legend! Pujols!).

And now he is the guy whose at bat I am most likely to ignore if I have to grab a drink or go to the bathroom.

I actually dislike watching this guy hit now.

It is terrible but even if he homers I sort of think "I"ll take the run but I wonder if this prolongs him being in the lineup everyday" or "Well I guess when a fat guy lifts one into the air a few might carry and sneak out.  Whatever."

I get no joy even from a Pujols homer.  And I have been one of his biggest fans for his entire career.

I thought Farrah Fawcett was just smokin' but at some point I don't need to see her in a swimsuit anymore.

It happens.

Ya, I don’t think Farrah is looking to good these days. 

If Pujols is still getting all his money, the MLBPA doesn’t care about the luxury tax. They’d love for the Angels to pay Pujols all his money and have it not count so they can pay another player money too.

It’s the other teams that wouldn’t want the Angels to circumvent the luxury tax by converting Pujols salary to something else. 

21 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I'd be perfectly happy if the Halos and Pujols agreed on a buyout after 2019 for say $40 million of the $59 million remaining.   

why on earth would Pujols agree to this? 

13 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Maybe to do something similar to Gil Meche in saving face, and not accepting entire salary despite being pretty much done?

Hey, can't blame me for trying. :)

ni appreciate the effort, but Pujols doesn't seem to be the saving face type 

15 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Maybe to do something similar to Gil Meche in saving face, and not accepting entire salary despite being pretty much done?

Hey, can't blame me for trying. :)

What I remember from that was Gil Meche was the one instigating the retirement. Which is crazy since he did not earn nearly what someone like Pujols has.