Baghdad Strad

Angels Sign Matt Harvey

319 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I was figuring 9 with incentives to 12m.  

1 yr deal for a guy that still sits in the mid 90's and has a nasty slider.  

If you don't want my opinion, then don't read this.  

I think a guy like Harvey signs a 1yr deal with the team that most impresses him as to how they're going to turn him back into what he was.  

BTW, he's also a Boras client.  

So, we're getting Harper!?

and yes, the reason I bring up Boras is that Kikuchi is also a client of his as well.  

who cares how much it's for?  maybe you sign a guy with less upside for 9m?  or 2/20?  

we need a guy who can turn into an ace with the proper instruct.  even if there's only a 10% chance of that, it better than getting someone like Lynn at 3/30 who's going to get torched in arlington.  

180ip and a 4.5+ era is Ricky Nolasco.  Is that what everyone wanted instead?  

We're unlikely to make the playoffs anyway.  Harvey doesn't decrease our chances, but he sure at should could increase them big time.  

Just now, floplag said:

So we cut Shoe and basically re-signed him for 3 times the money, lol 

Why pay 4 million for an injury prone guy who is projected to have an era in the low 4's when you could pay 11 million for an injury prone guy who is projected to have an era in the high 5's?

#galaxybrain

2 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Except for fact Shoemaker has never been as good as Harvey, you nailed it

Except they put up comparable numbers last year in his time with the reds versus what shoe gave us in his short term.  
If you assume vintage Harvey fine, still not sure its worth 3 times as much on a what if. 
I hate this move at that price, absolutely hate it.   If it was for half that amount fine, but thats a monster overpay 

5 minutes ago, krAbs said:

JUST so we are clear, released Shoemaker to save about four million dollars, and then turned around and signed Matt-I-can't-pitch-to-save-my-god-damn-life-Harvey for ELEVEN million - before incentives.

No kidding! This guy has been absolutely brutal the past 3 years. Not to mention his 10 cent brain. I’m totally baffled at this move and cost???

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

So we cut Shoe and basically re-signed him for 3 times the money, lol 

Matt Harvey has 3 times the potential.  

We play in a better pitching environment and I know people are going to poo poo this until they see it, but Doug White.  

Harvey is the perfect Doug White fit.  High velo.  jacked up mechanics.  

I think this a pretty good move. Harvey basically replaces what we would be getting in upside and risk with Richards, but we get to see what we get from him this year (for slightly cheaper) as opposed to 2020 with GRich. And if he does well, he could be nice to bring back as a vet with Ohtani/Skaggs/Heaney/Barria/Canning/Suarez. Could eventually free up some of those guys for trades as well

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Except they put up comparable numbers last year in his time with the reds versus what shoe gave us in his short term.  
If you assume vintage Harvey fine, still not sure its worth 3 times as much on a what if. 

7 starts vs 28...yep, comparable 

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I was figuring 9 with incentives to 12m.  

1 yr deal for a guy that still sits in the mid 90's and has a nasty slider.  

If you don't want my opinion, then don't read this.  

I think a guy like Harvey signs a 1yr deal with the team that most impresses him as to how they're going to turn him back into what he was.  

BTW, he's also a Boras client.  

It's worth the risk, don't understand all the hare for him. Guy pitched his arm out for the mets.

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Matt Harvey has 3 times the potential.  

We play in a better pitching environment and I know people are going to poo poo this until they see it, but Doug White.  

Harvey is the perfect Doug White fit.  High velo.  jacked up mechanics.  

3 times the potential 3 times the money, makes perfect sense, lol  
To be clear, I dont hate the signing, i hate the amount. 

Little high, but that’s the market. One year, who cares if it’s slightly more?

Performance wise, this is a really good bet. A guy who has been an ace derailed with injury issues is the kind of guy you want to bet on with the team’s new coaching staff and analytics work. 

My concern is 100% Matt Harvey the person. I’ve never liked him. He seems like a self-centered pos. Hopefully he doesn’t create a toxic atmosphere. 

Just now, mulwin444 said:

7 starts vs 28...yep, comparable 

"starts". I mean, I could get up there and throw the ball a few times in 28 straight games. Doesn't make me an asset to an MLB team.

1 minute ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

It's worth the risk, don't understand all the hare for him. Guy pitched his arm out for the mets.

It's not the arm I'm worried about; it's the 10 cent brain.

Oh, and it's also the arm.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

are people really comparing Shoe to Harvey?  

if so, you may want to pick a new team because you don't understand Eppler at all and he's gonna frustrate you as long as he's here.  

But 3 times!!!!

Just now, Sean-Regan said:

Little high, but that’s the market. One year, who cares if it’s slightly more?

Performance wise, this is a really good bet. A guy who has been an ace derailed with injury issues is the kind of guy you want to bet on with the team’s new coaching staff and analytics work. 

My concern is 100% Matt Harvey the person. I’ve never liked him. He seems like a self-centered pos. Hopefully he doesn’t create a toxic atmosphere. 

Listened to a recent Eppler interview and he really spoke about how teams in general are quantifying individual’s behaviors and emotional responses to situations and games. 

I think they like a lot of data and info on Harvey we aren’t seeing.

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

How’s his stuff?  I ask because in the playoffs we saw Joe Kelly have great stuff but for the year he was very average.   Is Harvey’s stuff good?

When he is healthy he is still one of the best pitchers in baseball.

Unfortunately he hasn't been healthy for three years.

Angels are due for some luck though.

Just now, mulwin444 said:

No, you'd be roadkill...Matt Harvey actually has a chance at pitching well

Yeah, he really doesn't have a chance. This isn't 2015. There isn't anything left. There hasn't been anything left for years. I don't know if you've noticed, but roadkill is a great description of his last few years.